MV Owners, Reenactors & wearing of uniforms

Marmite!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOW that is a hostage to fortune :coffee2: :-D i was reading a book on the history of the British empire, not really military but a good read I'll review it. tea was considered an obnoxious substance when first introduced, lowering the morale tone of the place. :whistle:

Please Sir!! the book does deal with the military/economic infrastructure of the British Empire. :bow: Empire by Niall Ferguson. But it is important to show courtesy to veterans, I had the honour to take some round an event at Battle a few years ago in my Dodge, not one of them under 75. I was driving very carfully around when one of them said, we never drove this slow, a few sharp remarks amongst them along the lines of you'd never stand the ride now, and I ended up going flat out across the broken ground.The English Heritage reps were white, the old guys were laughing themselves sick. They were very complimentary about the uniform turnout.

Please Sir!! the book does deal with the military/economic infrastructure of the British Empire. :bow:

Wasn't talking about the book (look forward to the review)... thought we were heading for a Twinnings moment :coffee2: ;-)

As a newbie (albeit ex RAF) I have only been to one W+P and was comfortable in plain greens. The thing is that in the arena for the displays the field gun teams etc were superb and it would not have been the same if they were dressed in jeans. It is after all practical clothing for the environment.

Dave

Thank you for the compliments, The Garrison put a lot of effort into turn out. We are the only non proffesional team to fire an official 21 gun salute for Her Majesty.

Hi Tony,

didn't realise you were part of the Garrison... you coming to the Bunker Bash 17th-18th May 2008 as we have just booked the Garrison again for the show.... firing twice a day... just got to keep Fred away from my pyros :angry:

I'm looking forward to meeting up with you one of these days TB. The Bunker bash would be an ideal locale. I plan to be there - with or without MV.

As for the origins of this string of posts: If you do it with pride, respect and passion then you can't go far wrong. I doubt if I have met many people who do not carry forth these three principles,,,

In Bastogne I wore a M42 jumppants and M43 jacket, portraying a 551 PIB, Independent airborne trooper.

In a shop were 3 BoB veterans and a 101 GIR veteran.

When I wanted to speak to one I went up to them, came to attention and saluted them as a sign of respect.

Well...

I too 'Dress up'.. my reason is that I wear my old kit, that I wore when I was in NI, and of course I have my ferret restored to 70's standard as best as I can afford!

However, also...As a mark of respect to my parents, my wife and I will be 'Dressing up' in the evenings in WW2 uniforms to represent my Mum & Dad, he was REME and mum was WRAF, I hope that no one will take offence at that but...Will it be wrong in anyones eyes for me to wear my dad's medal ribbons as gained at that point, as this is to represent my father?

I have earned my own, but...I will be attempting to appear as my dad?

Must admit I do agree generally with most peoples comments about insignia and rank when there is no family or previous service to the crown , connection!

My reason for dressing up in the first place was to show living history in the sence of, having a vehicle all renovated and cammed up and basically looking as it would all those years ago, a slice of history so to speak!

I hate seeing something that is really well restored being driven into the arena at Beltring with people hanging out of the top in jeans and T shirt, or the driver looking like he just came in from the garden!!

After all, its a show, so 'Impress'

All the Beast and Happy Christmas to you all

Fred & Annika

• 2 weeks later...

However, also...As a mark of respect to my parents, my wife and I will be 'Dressing up' in the evenings in WW2 uniforms to represent my Mum & Dad, he was REME and mum was WRAF, I hope that no one will take offence at that but...Will it be wrong in anyones eyes for me to wear my dad's medal ribbons as gained at that point, as this is to represent my father?

I have earned my own, but...I will be attempting to appear as my dad?

If I were you in particular, I'd wear the uniformand medals with pride. It should be obvious to any idiot that you are not trying to pass yourself off as 80 years old. Carry your own medals in your pocket and if anyone hassles you for wearing medals you didn't earn, dip in, whip them out and wave them at him, then ask to see his if he is so damn clever. In my case it'd be a GSM 1962, Clasp Northern Ireland and an UNFICYP Medal. Ah halcyon days.

If I were you in particular, I'd wear the uniformand medals with pride. It should be obvious to any idiot that you are not trying to pass yourself off as 80 years old. Carry your own medals in your pocket and if anyone hassles you for wearing medals you didn't earn, dip in, whip them out and wave them at him, then ask to see his if he is so damn clever. In my case it'd be a GSM 1962, Clasp Northern Ireland and an UNFICYP Medal. Ah halcyon days.

In total agrement with you on this. :-)

Andy

Thats proper NAFFI tea, then................. :-D

In the early 80s we walked into the NAAFI in Mercer / Imphal Barracks, Osnabruck (which sadly closed a few weeks ago: that's Mercer and Imphal Barracks, not NAAFI or Osnabruck - though Army's days in Osnabruck are seriously limited). Wor Lass was looking for Earl Grey Tea. Tea was duty-free and rationed, along with petrol, cigarettes, coffee amd alcohol, so we had to be served by hand and have our ration books stamped. Having discovered beverages whilst living in Colombia, I am a coffee man myself.

Not seeing any Earl Grey on the shelf, she asked the young soldier's wife behind the counter what tea she had.

"We have NAAFI Red, NAAFI Blue or NAAFI Gold."

"No Earl Grey?"

"We have NAAFI Red, NAAFI Blue or NAAFI Gold." Get the picture?

---ooo0ooo---

Two old war heroes are sat on a bench in the village, remembering the good times. One says, "Remember when they used to put Bromide in our tea to stop us lusting after the pretty French girls? I think it's beginning to take effect."

Thanks Alien and Andy, :-D

Will post a picture on the site after the show this year! :-D :-D

Just wanted to make sure that my pride did not cause any annoyance to anyone thats all! :whistle:

I am proud of my parents, my dad was on D-Day +1 landing at sword beach, he was a lorry driver for the duration.

When we watched the Band of Brothers series we realised that he had virtually followed those guys around, also he could be seen as a star in the film Bridge to far as he was one of the drivers who delivered those boats to the 82nd , so he saw a bit of action on and off though unfortunately he died when I was 9 so I have had to research his war years from records etc. ..The one funny bit that he saw though was the fact that he went through all that without a scratch, then on demob he was a front seat passenger in a lorry (His Driving Permit ran out the day before) and he was involved in a RTA with another lorry at a crossroad ...He suffered a #skull, # Leg and whilst unconscious they burnt him with the Oxy/Set cutter cutting him out of the reckage!!

Bit of a sod eh! He didn't get out of the Army for another 6 months and even then he was still in the hospital!

So..Yes.. I will wear his medals and his uniform with pride!!

Thanks folks

Fred & Annika :banana: :yay:

I think relatives of those awarded medals in whatever conflict have the god given right to display such medals - not only as a mark of respect but also pride for what their relatives had to endure to be awarded them in the first place.

If I fell off the band wagon suddenly - I would want one of my relatives to wear my medals to my funeral and remembrance parades, etc.

Markheliops

Thanks Alien and Andy, :-D

Will post a picture on the site after the show this year! :-D :-D

Just wanted to make sure that my pride did not cause any annoyance to anyone thats all! :whistle:

I am proud of my parents, my dad was on D-Day +1 landing at sword beach, he was a lorry driver for the duration.

When we watched the Band of Brothers series we realised that he had virtually followed those guys around, also he could be seen as a star in the film Bridge to far as he was one of the drivers who delivered those boats to the 82nd , so he saw a bit of action on and off though unfortunately he died when I was 9 so I have had to research his war years from records etc. ..The one funny bit that he saw though was the fact that he went through all that without a scratch, then on demob he was a front seat passenger in a lorry (His Driving Permit ran out the day before) and he was involved in a RTA with another lorry at a crossroad ...He suffered a #skull, # Leg and whilst unconscious they burnt him with the Oxy/Set cutter cutting him out of the reckage!!

Bit of a sod eh! He didn't get out of the Army for another 6 months and even then he was still in the hospital!

So..Yes.. I will wear his medals and his uniform with pride!!

Thanks folks

Fred & Annika :banana: :yay:

Hi Fred and Annika.

Look forward to seeing photo,

Good on you, It sounds like your Dad has earned respect, (and not just because he's your flesh and blood ;-))

With what, I guess we all do, our interests in military matters, etc, respect for those who 'did it for real', is certainly a major part, well, it is for me.

Enjoy wearing them, in my mind you are showing the very best form of Respect; Your keeping your dads memories alive.

All the best,

Andy

In the early 80s we walked into the NAAFI in Mercer / Imphal Barracks, Osnabruck (which sadly closed a few weeks ago: that's Mercer and Imphal Barracks, not NAAFI or Osnabruck - though Army's days in Osnabruck are seriously limited). Wor Lass was looking for Earl Grey Tea. Tea was duty-free and rationed, along with petrol, cigarettes, coffee amd alcohol, so we had to be served by hand and have our ration books stamped. Having discovered beverages whilst living in Colombia, I am a coffee man myself.

Not seeing any Earl Grey on the shelf, she asked the young soldier's wife behind the counter what tea she had.

"We have NAAFI Red, NAAFI Blue or NAAFI Gold."

"No Earl Grey?"

"We have NAAFI Red, NAAFI Blue or NAAFI Gold." Get the picture?

---ooo0ooo---

Two old war heroes are sat on a bench in the village, remembering the good times. One says, "Remember when they used to put Bromide in our tea to stop us lusting after the pretty French girls? I think it's beginning to take effect."

:rofl: :rofl: :sweat: hehehehehe;

Proper naffi Tea beats all other stuff, hands down :-D (and yes, I'm a tea monster............... :-))