MV Owners, Reenactors & wearing of uniforms

Marmite!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I served with 21 SAS (V) as a VM in the LAD.

Was attached to C squadron located in Bramley, Basingstoke where they film Scrapheap Challenge.

Then moved to HQ just before the HQ moved to Regents Park Barracks from Duke of Yorks.

Must be getting old, can't remember dates but I think I left in 2002 when I joined the Fire Service.

I remember I was offered the opportunity to undertake selection - laugh, I nearly cried -

DO I LOOK STUPID. :coffee2:

Markheliops

Couldn't possibly answer that question Mark..... :whistle:

I was up at the DoY with HQ squadron all through my time until I got the P8 discharge in 1980.

Here's a memory test for you - was Glynn still the S/Sgt i/c the REME then - or had he gone too?

Same question for Ike, the MTO???

Training wing DS would definitely have been different as Eddie lost the race against the clock when that SeaKing went down during the Falklands.

A SGT Wallace was the REME PSI.

You will probably remember Nobby Clarke - he was NRPS C Sqn although in his time he was sabre. He retired from the Regiment during my spell.

I came across some old papers from my spell with 21 and I'm trying to recall what I have done with them. :dunno: I'm sure there will be a few names familiar to you. I'll PM you with them when I find them.

Markheliops

Cheers Mark! :-D

Don't recognize the name but - thinking about it - there was a gap of over 20 years so I suppose expecting the same guy to overlap was more than a trifle unreasonable.. :oops:

Have you seen the DoY since they sold it off??

We went up to the Army museum a year or so back and I was shocked at the changes - IIIRC the MT garages were a cafe, Training Wing was a design bureau and there was a wide pedestrian walkway right through the armoury access, "A" squadrons QM Stores and the main entrance to "B" block. Literally brought tears to the eyes. The only thing seemingly unchanged was the running track and what - in my day - was the main block that housed (D)SAS and his staff...