Armistice Day - why it is so important

N.O.S.

the problem seems to be that most people don't seem to understand that the 11am-11-11 is a recognised time for all to remember the past

this was because that was when the first world war ceasefire was declared

but this time has become time to remember all service men who have died in all conflicts old and new

i respect all ex serving and still serving members of all forces UK and otherwise as most are volunteers who decide to serve their countries at the risk of their lives :police:

the Belgium people remember daily at the menin gate so the sacrifice of so many is never forgotten

i guess most councils now are run by people who have never served and don't realise the comradeship felt by all ex members

the only politicions that understand never seem to go far but those who have never served will always stand at the cenotaph and say look I'm hear :whistle:

As far as I am concerned, if the local residents' cars were not parked outside their houses while they remembered the fallen, they ought themselves to have been attending a remembrance celebration somewhere and not be back before those who had parked for this parade had gone their ways.

In reply to the MV debate,

I was very proud this year to be asked by our local RBL organiser if I would drive my GPW

in the Parade, I was very pleased to help a 90 year old D Day Vet into the dicky seat, where he sat, medals polished and very pleased to be leading the parade.

If It wasn't for my little GP he would not have been able to walk the course.

It was an honour for me to help.

Jules

I usually try to watch the 11 o'clock bit on the telly, glory & marching doesn't mean much to me. But what chokes me up is when the blind & limbless march by. That's what war is all about.

I missed it this year, but was in Homebase where I stood to attention for 2 minutes, most people caught on.

Unbelievable - but you just can't make stuff like that up.

This smacks of the age old 'forget them, they've served their purpose'.............following on from the injured having to be looked after in NHS wards, etc.

Certainly NOT knocking the NHS, - I work for them,..........but these brave guys and gals deserve the best;.................do politicians have to endure same, ?? I think NOT. :angry:

I usually try to watch the 11 o'clock bit on the telly, glory & marching doesn't mean much to me. But what chokes me up is when the blind & limbless march by. That's what war is all about.

I missed it this year, but was in Homebase where I stood to attention for 2 minutes, most people caught on.

http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/press/files/newsReleases/facesOfBattle.pdf

And thats just the visably wounded , the latest group from this newest conflict are traumatic brain injury and post traumatic stress disorder just as disabling but not nearly as understood by either the Military or Medical services.

True, but, (and its a BIG but,...) at least Post Traumatic Stress Disorder IS RECOGNISED now;....................gone are the days, where, if unlucky, the only 'treatment' the sufferer got was a firing squad, when the condition was known as 'shell shock'.