Armistice Day - why it is so important

N.O.S.

If you need a reminder of why Armistice day is so important, look at these pictures taken of Ypres before and after the hostilities of WW1.

I found them in a booklet of period postcards pairing "before and after" views.

I find myself asking why we could let scenes like this be repeated across Europe so soon afterwards in WW2, and if we really have learnt much since these two wars :dunno:

We shouldn't keep dragging stuff like this up for the sake of it, but if that's what it takes to keep us remembering, so be it.

Do remember the idea is to commearate ALL who died in service of the country. They are still dying. The Royal British Legion is now getting more requests to help younger service and ex service people. The 11th of the 11th at the 11 hour was chosen as it was following the Great War the country at large acknowledge the debt to such people. The army has now returned to a group of dedicated proffesional people. Just because military service in no longer universal, and that is part of the debt we owe them, the tendency is for the dead and wounded to be more hidden. Please think on this. The need continues and still grows.

Do remember the idea is to commearate ALL who died in service of the country. They are still dying. The Royal British Legion is now getting more requests to help younger service and ex service people. The 11th of the 11th at the 11 hour was chosen as it was following the Great War the country at large acknowledge the debt to such people. The army has now returned to a group of dedicated proffesional people. Just because military service in no longer universal, and that is part of the debt we owe them, the tendency is for the dead and wounded to be more hidden. Please think on this. The need continues and still grows.

Never A TRUER word spoken.

At the going down of the sun,

And in the morning;

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

• 2 weeks later...

Do remember the idea is to commemorate ALL who died in service of the country.

I was chatting with an old boy who was collecting this afternoon. I asked him what era, in his opinion, was it that people thought of when donating.

He replied that although the majority still talked about WW1, he felt there was a gradually increasing awareness of RBL activities and conflicts associated with more modern times.

To his credit he had a backdrop display of prints depicting not just a WW1 trench scene, but a WW2 battle, a bomber and also a Hercules transport flying over a desert landscape. He said he was really annoyed that he had not brought a picture of a ship, as the Navy was included as well!!

Good on him. If anyone is out there collecting, it would be interesting to know what people's first thought is when donating :dunno:

Thats why I make a point of using the 101 during remeberance week.

Your lucky to be able to get involved with your vehicle; In my neck of the woods, whilst the RBL arehappy for us to do so, we've run up against the chairman of the conbined forces association, who 'doesn't think it appropriate',......... :dunno:

Your lucky to be able to get involved with your vehicle; In my neck of the woods, whilst the RBL arehappy for us to do so, we've run up against the chairman of the conbined forces association, who 'doesn't think it appropriate',......... :dunno:

I get the same problem in Reading. I have offered my vehicle and myself, but no reply.

I get the same problem in Reading. I have offered my vehicle and myself, but no reply.

Well at least this area is not the only one with such individuals. :angry:

What makes it worse, here, I was given the person concerned phone no, by council, and left a message on his answer phone, -this was before his 'NO' decision. To date I've not had the courtesy of a reply.

For an individual the purport to represent a national organisation supporting All services, and looking to have the rememberance comemorations held and supported by all, he does seem to have a perculiar way of going about it. :whistle:

I'm tempted to contact the headquarters of said organisation, to make them aware of this situation.

What sticks in my craw, I guess, is he completely dismissed any involvement by us, a recognised living history group, without even contacting us.

I am still mentally divided :shake: on this one half says good idea the vehicles pull in people who have no idea or interest in rememberance, and then there is the oppurtunity to educate them.

On the other hand I feel uncomfortable with the vehicle on rememberance day, which is a day to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice, not the equipt used to kill them

Dunno still swinging on both counts :?

HF

Purely a personal opinion - but I think maybe the vehicles help drive home the message about what those the Legionn help and those whose sacrifice is remembered had to face.

The never-ending defence cuts means that for most people the realities of the sight, sound, smell & confined spaces are abstracts. Sometimes the glimpse of the true reality has a beneficial effect....

I am still mentally divided :shake: on this one half says good idea the vehicles pull in people who have no idea or interest in rememberance, and then there is the oppurtunity to educate them.

On the other hand I feel uncomfortable with the vehicle on rememberance day, which is a day to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice, not the equipt used to kill them

Dunno still swinging on both counts :?

HF

Yup, I can understand those concerns, which is why, when trying to get involved I was stressing that any guns etc normally carried on/in vehicle, on person would be lift at home.

Also, in our case the vehicles would have been Bedford MW, Jimmys,Jeeps, etc.

I do think that as a 'drawing in point', vehicles DO attract folks to them,............once there, its a lot easier to sell them poppys, etc.

I do think that as a 'drawing in point', vehicles DO attract folks to them,............

Especially if you raise the bonnet and two of you stare in to the engine bay pointing....bound to attract a crowd :-D

Ashley

I'm trying hard not to get drawn into this WW1 thing, but I've just learned that of the 25 who went off to the war from our village (at that time about 30-35 houses), 8 died and -

one of those died on the 11th November 1918..........

Apparently of the soldiers who died on this day, a considerable number had succumbed to influenza.

The CWG section at Orpington has a number of graves dated 1919 even 1920. Orpington was a Canadian Military hospital during that period, indeed the current building were a gift from the People of Canada. I wonder if deaths after the war actually ended but whilst men were still in uniform counted as war deaths?

It is a little bit more than ironic that in one of the papers today is a picture of one of our soldiers who is fighting in Afghanistan is standing in a field of poppies, but these ones have a different meaning to so many people.

That sort of brings it home a bit and the sad thing is, that the irony of it will be lost to so many.

I'm trying hard not to get drawn into this WW1 thing, but I've just learned that of the 25 who went off to the war from our village (at that time about 30-35 houses), 8 died and -

one of those died on the 11th November 1918..........

Apparently of the soldiers who died on this day, a considerable number had succumbed to influenza.

Seem to remember a TV prog on this subject, (spanish flu ??).........if I remember rightly, it killed loads of people.

It is a little bit more than ironic that in one of the papers today is a picture of one of our soldiers who is fighting in Afghanistan is standing in a field of poppies, but these ones have a different meaning to so many people.

That sort of brings it home a bit and the sad thing is, that the irony of it will be lost to so many.

Yes, Mark.

When I hear remarks of same, I find it difficult to stay silent.

A Difficult one to ballance, I feel;..............a poppy is a poppy, to lots of folk.

then explain why the Poopy was chossen. It is such a hrdy plant that despite all man can throe at it it thrives. The red of blood , and the strive for life.

Tony, in my posting I was refering to the fact that in Afganistan, the poppy is being grown to provide (illegal)drugs, which in turn provides cash to the groups who are causing instability in that troubled nation;..............and as a result, directly causing troops from this country, and others to sustain casulties.

I DO wear a poppy,.................and feel proud to do so; For ALL the RIGHT reasons....

Yes, but that again is part of the irony, soldiers used to prize the Poppy because it gave relief for pain. Soldier's never really change, the politicians just find diffrent reasons for them to die. Never meant to offend you, at the time the poppy was chosen it was because it was the only living colour on the battlefields.

I don't know where else to put this post so I guess here is as a good a place as any .

This is supposed to be a time for thought and reflection and it just occurred to me that I would like to put a little note here to say 'Thank You'

Thank you to all of those of you who I see writing here so often , who I have come to look upon as friends even though I have never met many of you, probably never will . Those of you who have served your countries , who have 'done your bit' to make and keep this place safe for people like me who never have .

Thank you from the bottom of my heart .

Yes, but that again is part of the irony, soldiers used to prize the Poppy because it gave relief for pain. Soldier's never really change, the politicians just find diffrent reasons for them to die. Never meant to offend you, at the time the poppy was chosen it was because it was the only living colour on the battlefields.