Garage for a Lwt

LarryH57

Question

I have use of a garage for my Lwt but the electric door mechanism is 1 cm too low for the official height of a Lwt and in any case I have 7.50 tyres. As you will see from the photo the v shaped bracket is the bit that reduces the height available, when I reverse in. Has anyone else had this problem? Would a chain instead of the v bracket still work?

20200809_103634.jpg

18 answers to this question

On 8/10/2020 at 11:10 PM, David Herbert said:

Try removing the bar and replace it reversed end to end. I suspect that it will not bind up and it will give you more clearance.

David

the bar is fitted the way it is because that is the only way it will work. Reversing it will cause a jam and possibly damage to what appears to be a garage that is being rented rather than being his own to destroy. When it opens, the door obviously moves through an arc, not a straight line, hence the bend to allow clearance for the arc

the solution is to do what I did. Remove the bar and open and close the door manually.

There is no alternative with an up and over door and that sort of electric opening mechanism. Hence I fitted a roller door on my other garage.   

Guys thanks so much for your replies, to my question. Regards making the up and over garage door purely manual, unfortunately the door is locked by the electric mechanism so if it was removed the door could be opened by anyone. There is no key or handle on the outside. So I will try bolting a bracket across the u to retain its shape and removing 2cm of the bottom.

Looking at what is visible in your photo, I don't see any reason why the bend in the link need to be so pronounced. I would have thought that a straight link (or a very nearly straight link) with the same hole centres would work just as well.

I would operate the door and watch the trajectory of the top end of the door, and if nothing enters the area inside the bend of the link, make up and fit a straight one.

55 minutes ago, David Herbert said:

Or turn the link end for end but not upside down as I suggested earlier !

David

Looking at the photo again and being mindful of this suggestion, I am inclined to think that the link has been fitted the wrong way round anyway. The shape as fitted makes no sense, if flipped as per Mr Herbert's suggestion it would, I suspect, fit perfectly. 

Try calling the manufacturer or installer if its in the UK, they will have come across this before. The angles and lengths will be important for the smooth function and locking. Maybe best not to mess them up...

Hopefully the manufacturer will have a simple answer maybe a kit or replacement part. You never know. 

On 8/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, utt61 said:

Looking at the photo again and being mindful of this suggestion, I am inclined to think that the link has been fitted the wrong way round anyway. The shape as fitted makes no sense, if flipped as per Mr Herbert's suggestion it would, I suspect, fit perfectly. 

I'm inclined to think you need to study the arc through which the door moves before making further "suggestions" as then it will make sense as to why all these door's mechanisms are made the same way. If the bend is not where it is as shown, the mechanism simply will not operate.

30 minutes ago, john fox said:

I'm inclined to think you need to study the arc through which the door moves before making further "suggestions" as then it will make sense as to why all these door's mechanisms are made the same way. If the bend is not where it is as shown, the mechanism simply will not operate.

I'm sorry if my post offended you (which is strongly suggested by the tone of you post) but based on what can be seen from the OP's photo, and based on the trajectory of the top of my own (manual) door, I stand by my opinion. There is no way that that link requires an offset of that size at the door end.

A quick diversion to YouTube to watch videos of similar doors in operation fully supports this view.

I'm certainly not offended by any remarks???

Also looking at the problem in a different way, if I opened the door and removed the U shaped bracket I could at least get the Lwt reversed into the garage. Refitting the U bracket that would be over the engine I could with a helper actually see if the tilt is going to hit the mechanism when I drive out as measurement of the height of the vehicle variously suggests I have between 1 to zero cm clearance!

Edited by LarryH57