Dunkirk 80 years ago ww2. This week i will add some of my original Dunkirk photos.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:56 PM, Morris C8 said:

Can anybody shed more light on 'little ship' at 6.22    Gwen Eagle.

Here is the photos of it from my collection.

dunkirk boat bedford.jpg

Is it a Commer truck that is propping up “Gwen Eagle”? 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @Morris C8

I was researching someting else in the Imperial War Museum archives, and came across these Dunkirk photos. I hope you don't mind me putting them here.

The following colour photos were taken in Dunkirk immediately after the evacuation, by Hermann Weper of the 13 German Mobile Assault Unit.

I have not included photos of dead soldiers.

Copyright is the Imperial War Museum as indicated.

Best Regards,

Adrian

image.png.83b664f449b3719dac36716580e4d3f6.png

(c) IWM COL287

German forces arrive in Dunkirk. The sea front at Dunkirk photographed immediately after the completion of the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force earlier in the day. The crew of a light anti-tank gun of the German mobile assault unit Motorensturm 13 stand guard on the seafront. The gun is covered with a camouflaged cloth. Debris left by the British evacuation debris is visible in the background.

image.png.a1bdc97b1560fa3bfab041a416da190b.png

(c) IWM COL288

German forces arrive in Dunkirk. The sea front at Dunkirk photographed immediately after the completion of the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force earlier in the day. Vehicles and troops of the German mobile assault unit Motorensturm 13, drawn up on the sea front at Dunkirk near one of the unit's light anti-tank guns.

image.png.f98b38bcbd501b5cde8f567bf78827d0.png

(c) IWM COL289

German forces arrive in Dunkirk after the completion of the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force earlier in the day. Clearing the blocked road into Dunkirk. Under the direction of their German captors, French troops push away an immobilised British Universal Carrier tracked vehicle.

image.png.512dea00c5a26e426cf4883edbd1282b.png

(c) IWM COL290

On the outskirts of Dunkirk, a German officer interrogates two captured French officers who sit under guard near a roadside table laden with wine bottles. A German inflatable rubber dinghy is visible behind the table.

image.png.5e474376363987b27bf05ca09309ef13.png

(c) IWM COL292

On the outskirts of Dunkirk, German officers confer by their vehicles at the roadside before moving into the town.

image.png.705d3771ae11ce2680aefc2785354b15.png

(c) IWM COL293

German troops pulling a 37mm anti-tank gun along a road near Dunkirk. Immobilised British Scout carriers are parked at the side of the road.

image.png.dcf0181cd84a4f447142ef48fd776484.png

(c) COL294

German forces move into Dunkirk. Disarmed French soldiers file pass German officers on the outskirts of Dunkirk. The evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force had been completed a few hours earlier.

image.png.ccf104790853322f5f4f66407dd19c26.png

(c) IWM COL295

German forces move into Dunkirk hours after the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force was completed. A beached French coastal patrol craft at low tide at Dunkirk. The ship is armed with a 75mm canon on its foredeck and probably dates from the First World War. A British Universal Carrier and a bicycle lie abandoned half buried in the sand.

image.png.d6236ec1405bbe6a8fe608643395a12c.png

(c) IWM COL296

German forces move into Dunkirk hours after the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force. Curious German officers inspect the memorial to the French aviation pioneer, Louis Bleriot on the sea front at Dunkirk. It is surrounded by German vehicles and the litter of the British evacuation.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...