Dunkirk 80 years ago ww2. This week i will add some of my original Dunkirk photos.

On 10/24/2021 at 8:57 AM, Morris C8 said:
Captured Morris PU [sig] in prang, German MP with his measuring tape, you can`t see much with the side screens on. WH reg number. Could it be in France?.[cafe].
Won`t take long to knock that dent out.
  Photo from my collection.
   Keith

Capterd Morris PU crash.kb.jpg

captured morris pu.jpg

Edited by garys39
Wrong comment

18 hours ago, Le Prof said:

Hi @Morris C8 Keith.

I put some time into trying to trace this, without success, except to say it is in Paris.

This time it is not a needle in a haystack, but a needle in a pile of needles, with some missing.

Café  Biard was a chain of Parisian coffee shops. There were 15 or so in 1900, and far more by 1940. This article explains more:

https://www.parisladouce.com/2021/07/ancien-cafe-biard-de-la-rue-montorgueil.html

I checked the addresses listed, there were a couple that looked promising, but the Hausmanian architecture of Paris is all very similar, and I could see detail differences on the building across the road each time. Also, roads like Ave de Sevres have been heavily redeveloped. Finally, I searched for period postcards, and that threw up even more addresses, so I admit defeat.

Best Regards,

Adrian

What is the building/shape above and to the right of the vehicles ?

Hello Bob, that is the 7th. RNF from the Tyne and Tees Division in training, south of Amiens, a little hamlet called Le Croq, (near Fontaine-Bonneleau) the (stone) building is actually a church, I still have to go back there to do a proper "then and now" picture, with the outfits, and a lonely M20. But we did visit, and talked to the locals, here 2 pictures, (thanks Jan, and Rich!) sort of then and now, have many more pictures in that area! Also added a picture of the back of the church, so you can see the steeple, plus the original IWM picture, the cameraman had to stand on the roof of his Humber to take the picture!

Cheers,

Lex

3a2.jpg

3b1.jpg

Le Croq.png

Edited by welbike
additional info
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...