NEWS - You heard it here first - Tiger 1s go back into production....

Jack

Breaking news folks and it is on the front page 'news headlines'

I have just been contacted by a German company who are putting the 50 ton tank back in to production for the serious tank nut - comes with a 1000 hp Merc engine :roll:

Amazing.

i dont believe that it will ever happen. It will cost a vast amount of money to do and if someone wants one they will want a good replica not a bodge job which this sounds like. If you want just something that looks the part, then there are plenty of T55's about to convert.

However, saying that there are all the replica ME262's about and there is that one superb A7V replica which is a perfect copy, including the engine, all the running gear, everything. Exactly as it should be. Not sure what the cost of that was, but in the millions i am sure. I will dig out a photo of it for you if anyone is interested

Tim

I have just been contacted by a German company who are putting the 50 ton tank back in to production for the serious tank nut

I don´t read anyone is putting a Tiger tank back into production, far from it. What I read is someone offering their capabilities - "We are a drawing office" - who has an idea - "we intend to design and to manufacturing" - for which they are looking for a launching customer - "For our new project we search customers". Many technical problems will have to be solved, but the first one is a marketing question: would there be a market for such a product (which needs to be fully developed)?

My guess is that people with the drive and money to own a Tiger tank, either go the route of adapting an existing tank chassis into a Tiger look-alike, or have enough money to acquire and restore a real Tiger tank.

Just my 2 Euro cents. . .

Hanno

• 1 month later...

However, saying that there are all the replica ME262's about and there is that one superb A7V replica which is a perfect copy, including the engine, all the running gear, everything. Exactly as it should be. Not sure what the cost of that was, but in the millions i am sure. I will dig out a photo of it for you if anyone is interested

Tim

Yes please...

I dont have my own photos of it yet and this is the only one i can find which as you can see is copyrighted.

Tim (too)

Here's some...

width=300 height=200http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/d/db/300px-A7v-wotan-diorama.jpg[/img]

width=325 height=223http://www.warmuseums.nl/fotos/04705.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://www.jagdtiger.de/Other/Norden-02.jpg[/img]

Thats right."Mephisto" is down there. It is in a museum and clearly visible through a window looking out into a park. I beleive that the insides is quite gutted which is a shame. A tragedy to think that there was a surviving example in the UK that got got up for scrap. Such is the way of things.

IM000029.jpg

IM000037.jpg

IM000028.jpg

Tim (too)

Edited by Jack
fixed broken links

Up untill recently this AV7 was parked in the open air,as far as i know several persons have offered to restore it in the past but it has been denied as it would no longer be origonal ??

As to the replica i was told several years ago that it was planned to build a few of these for museums... may be not.

Ashley

Difficult knowing what to do. With the skills and knowledge about i proper restoration could have been done, but i guess at some expense. A pity thay didnt make any more replicas. I wouldn't have minded one of those.

Found out a bit more about Mephisto:

A7Vs made their combat début in the German Spring Offensive of March 1918. Vehicle 506, plus three other A7Vs and five captured English tanks supported shock troop (Stosstruppen) assaults around the French town of St Quentin. The tanks played a relatively minor role, although 506 and 501 proved effective in neutralising Allied strong points. Following this operation, 506 acquired the name Mephisto and a painting of a devil (Mephistopheles) running off with a British tank under one arm on its front armour. The next engagement occurred when the Germans attempted to capture the village of Villers-Bretonneux and resume their advance on Amiens in late April 1918. Mephisto and 13 other A7Vs took part in this operation. The A7V's were split into three groups: one of these encountered British Mark IV tanks and the first ever tank vs tank battle ensued, resulting in damage to three Mark IVs and one A7V. The group, which included Mephisto, successfully cleared the British front before advancing on a fortified farm in Monument Wood near Villiers-Brettoneaux. At some point Mephisto was driven into a deep shell crater where it became firmly stuck and was unrecoverable. Mephisto remained stranded at Monument Wood until July 1918, when Australian troops of the 26th Battalion AIF (composed mainly of Queenslanders) eventually pushed the Allied front line past Mephisto's position. It was recovered by Allied forces on the night of 22 July 1918 and taken to Vaux-en-Amienois before being shipped to England in January 1919. During this time, Mephisto was 'redecorated' with details of its capture, soldiers' names and a 'British' lion with his paw on an A7V. Subsequently, it was proposed that the tank to be displayed as a 'war trophy' in Queensland. Mephisto eventually arrived in Brisbane aboard the S S Armagh in June 1919 where it was unloaded at the Norman Wharf. On the morning of 22 August, two City Council steamrollers towed the tank to the Queensland Museum in Gregory Terrace. It remained there until 1986 when both it and the Museum were relocated to the Queensland Cultural Centre, South Bank.

So there you go. I quite faniced renaming one of my kids Mephisto, but now i know it means the devil, i am not too sure. Actually i am even more determined to do so. Just have to clear it with the wife first of all.

Tim (too)