Morris c8 wiring

Hello,

I am currently planning to make a new wiring loom for my Morris C8 and although my copy of the maintenance manual has a wiring diagram with the relevant wire numbers, there is no associated wire number to colour reference list, does anyone have this information that they are willing to share with me? please.

Jon

Not an answer to your question but someone was recently offering reproductions of the very impressive wiring diagram brass plate that is fixed to the engine cover in the cab. I am sure someone here would know who it was and if not I think I know someone that had one off him so should be able to find out.

David

Morning and thanks for the responses,

Super6,

Thanks for the link, I have seen the Auto electrics loom and its very tempting, not correct in my case but tempting.

David,

I have had a quick search but can't find any sign of that wiring diagram plate, I will have another attempt but if you have a contact, that would be very useful and I would be very grateful.

Mark,

I will match it up with any colours that I can find on my loom and see where it leads. Every wire in the existing looms is black, if you carefully strip some of the cables, there  is a colour underneath but that's not the case on every wire. I am thinking, that to make fault finding easy, some sort of obvious colour system would be better than none.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Take a look at this document from Lucas, there is a wiring diagram in there with numbers to colours, se if it matches up with your C8 wiring diagram.

Incidentally I have a 1945 workshop manual for the C8 gun tractors and no colours or numbers on the wiring diagram, makes me thing that all the wires were black.

http://www.justbrits.com/Articles/Lucas06.pdf

regards, Richard

Hi Jon,

I have just spoken to my contact that has recently restored a Morris and the reproduction plates he got were actually the lubrication plate that is fixed to the engine cover in the cab and the circular gear change instruction plate. No wiring diagram plate. Sorry for the confusion. Also he didn't think that he still had the seller's details so that is as much as I can tell you but someone here must know who it was that had the lube and gearchange plates reproduced.

David

The attached is how l learnt about vehicle wiring many moons ago it may help you over the years l have come across british military  vehicles wired with just black cable these were mainly from the 1930s and early 1940s

luwr3.jpg

luwr2.jpg

Edited by wally dugan

Thanks for all the reply's, after more investigation almost all of the wires are just back with no colour under the outer wrapping, so that leaves me with in a dilemma as to which course to take but I am  minded to replace the wiring with a colour coded system, I will have to have think on it for a while.

Richard, I have taken a copy of the document many thanks.

David, thanks for asking the question reference the data plates, I will carrying on searching and Match, thanks for the link I have sent them an email.

Wally, That's an interesting document I have printed it out so that I can have a read of it tonight.

Regards,

Jon

Just a thought but if deviating from the original by using coloured wiring is your concern, perhaps all-black wires could be identified by fitting numbered rings, as many military vehicles had in the past (possibly still do?). It may be easier to hide such unoriginal features and be more in line with what you are after.

Steve.

Edited by Ex-boy
Word deleted

Obviously accuracy might be an issue - however, given that Lucas did standardize colours pretty early and given the opportunity for misadventure with all the same colour, I would suggest you go with coloured wires - future owners will thank you. :)

seriously though this might fall in the category of "sensible mod"

On 7/9/2018 at 4:50 PM, johann morris said:

I think that you are right and I am going to use a colour coding, in fact I have been a very lazy boy and ordered one from Auto sparks.

Jon

Clever - greatly diminish the chance of your hard work literally going up in smoke. :)