Organising the pefect MV show...

Jack

I am not keen on shows that charge to exhibit, there is one up here the charges exhibitors but not the public. :argh:

A working show is much more interesting than a static one. I like to have something more to do than just walking round. One of the steam guys up here once said "going to a show without an engine is like going to a wife swapping party without a wife"

As far as the layout of shows go I prefer a less segregated setup, I can't see why wartime and postwar stuff should be split rather than mixed together. If there is a good mix I think makes it more interesting and more likely that you will see something different from your main interest.

I would like to see better information boards on exhibits, or more people prepared to stay with the exhibit and talk to people about what it is.

Not intrested in re-enactors, sorry. Too often it seems to be a closed display with not much communication as to what it is about.

Tents. Ultimately it is a car and truck show, thats what I am going to look at so it doesn't matter what type of tent you have. If the is limited space I would rather see more vehicles with small civvy tents than a field filled with 9x9s. I suppose the extreme example of accomodation getting out of scale with exhibits is the stationary engine scenario, with a camper van to support a Lister engine with a water pump.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i first went to Beltring driving the jeep, i didn`t take a tent because i thought i would buy a cheap one on site, which I did and was promised that it was in perfect condition :rofl::rofl:several trips back to the stall holder soon peed him off and i got a fairly decent tent (though i found out it was not waterproof later in the week) so i brought a civi tent for future shows.

Last year i brought a 9X9 from Pathfinder for Beltring, suited me fine :thumbsup: This debate re tents runs paraell with the uniform debate with those for and those against. But i do not agree wit separating the two camps at shows.

Ashley

Dont segregate exhibits, when I was at Apedale with my Landy, I said hello to a couple of jeep owners, I got the impression that if I had a jeep, or similar WW11 vehicle, they would have welcomed me with open arms!!! But, if we are segregated, how can you make new friends?

As an aside, I have just ordered a new 9x9 from our glorious leader(!)

All the best

Mark

• 8 months later...

Much as I enjoy W&P , in recent times I've found that I just can't get away to stay for the week & getting round the whole thing in a day is a killer (as my legs were telling me last Saturday night) .

Having finally made it to the Bunker Bash this year I felt that the show and site there is almost ideal with an interesting bit of landscape , a wooded area which is incorporated into the show with various re-enactors located here and there throughout and a reasonable sized area for vehicle displays . A few more stalls would be nice as I always enjoy trawling through those but doubtless , in years to come , there may well be more . For the visiting public there is plenty to look at from a vehicular viewpoint and the bonus of the bunker itself to explore making plenty to keep the family entertained for a day out .

Of course the downside is the location - it's fine for us easterners but for anybody located in the north or west of the country it's a long old trek .

Of course the downside is the location - it's fine for us easterners but for anybody located in the north or west of the country it's a long old trek .

Thanks for the comments Dave.

We had reenactors from Hull, Nottingham, Yorkshire, Manchester, Portsmouth, Wales +other areas.. all comfirmed for next year..

MV owners from as far as Staffordshire & the furthest trader from as far as North Wales.. the BB is very accessable from the M11, M25, A127/8, A13... a long trek for some but they must think it's worth it:-D

Traders are building up more each year with new enquiries already coming in..

Lots of valid points made, it would seem to me that the "tent thing" is a problem well what ever you do it is always going to upset someone, personally if you leave it up to the exhibitors to do what they want then it goes some way to pleasing all. Even if you say U.S. vehicles here and British vehicles there you will still get people who have both so if you go with the flow and let people exhibit how the want to.

Don't forget the show is for the exhibitors as well as the public...

The most important things of all are to make everyone welcome, make everyone feel safe, if this is achieved they will enjoy themselves.

Site rules:

try to limit rules but the ones which are laid down MUST BE ENFORCED.

The most important ones are Site speed limit, No under-age people using motor/quad bikes or vehicles ( driving license ) at any time, No sirens or blue lights to be used outside of the arena displays only authorised emergency vehicles to be allowed to ues them.

Curfew at night for vehicle movements and noise ( music ) To be enforced or banned from site.

HELP POINTS or HELP PHONE NUMBERS.......

To be supplied to everyone who signs in to exhibit.

This will be manned 24 hrs a day for emergencies of any nature and to be acted on immediately.

i have just read all 9 pages of this thread and no one has asked for the most important part of any show, and many dont bother to have one :cry: and thats a

CAMRA REAL ALE TENT

it makes the weekend ............. for me anyway :-D

Lots of valid points made, it would seem to me that the "tent thing" is a problem well what ever you do it is always going to upset someone, personally if you leave it up to the exhibitors to do what they want then it goes some way to pleasing all. Even if you say U.S. vehicles here and British vehicles there you will still get people who have both so if you go with the flow and let people exhibit how the want to.

Don't forget the show is for the exhibitors as well as the public...

The most important things of all are to make everyone welcome, make everyone feel safe, if this is achieved they will enjoy themselves.

Site rules:

The most important ones are Site speed limit, No under-age people using motor/quad bikes or vehicles ( driving license ) at any time, No sirens or blue lights to be used outside of the arena displays only authorised emergency vehicles to be allowed to ues them.

Curfew at night for vehicle movements and noise ( music ) To be enforced or banned from site.

This will be manned 24 hrs a day for emergencies of any nature and to be acted on immediately.

You have nigh on described Military Mayhem, friendly, limited rules , NO QUADS etc etc etc.

Sounds like a good show then !!!!

Another thing which has sprung to mind is as a military vehicle owner would I go to a show which had no public access ie only a show for the exhibitors/traders in other words a private show for entrants only ?

The answer I think would be yes so then what do others think ( not interested in the financial things to put on such a show ) would you go.

Sounds like a good show then !!!!

Another thing which has sprung to mind is as a military vehicle owner would I go to a show which had no public access ie only a show for the exhibitors/traders in other words a private show for entrants only ?

The answer I think would be yes so then what do others think ( not interested in the financial things to put on such a show ) would you go.

Doubt many traders would be interested...

Also think about travel distances from the continent. Always count from Dover as other routes (eg Hull)are to expensive to bring lorries over.

Bunker Bash is the maximum distance for a show over the weekend.

Site rules:

This will solve almost all problems.

Piet

Interesting thought though how much of the traders sales are down to the public who pay to enter a show or is it the exhibitors who buy more !!!!!!!

May be I can answer that one Rich. Being on both sides of the fence I know what works for us and what doesn't.

We have never sold anything to a member of the public so to speak. Take the TankFest for an example, 10,000 people through the gate but not one stopped to talk with us. This is no shock at all as they come to see tanks and for the day out.

Our range is not an impulse buy, it is a considered purchase - our tents aren't cheap, you have to think about spending that sort of money. Our tents start from £450 - £4000. We go to the TankFest because of the re-enactors, if you want a fish then you have to go fishing where the fish are.

But I know a lot of the camo and surplus guys do roaring business at such shows.

There is a lot of internal trade between us traders when you are at a show. You have to work hard and long at shows especially somewhere like the W&P which with everything taken into consideration would of cost my company around £4000. So traders will target certain shows and not bother with others.

Site rules:

100% agree. It really really is simple. As a trader we have to jump through so many hoops - just to have some jockey do exactly what they please. Parachute flares landing near my tents really isn't on or fair.....

HELP PHONE NUMBERS.......

There were emergency phone numbers for on-site fire and ambulance facilities in the booklet that came with your entry details for W&P, these were monitered 24hrs a day thoughout the show.

There were emergency phone numbers for on-site fire and ambulance facilities in the booklet that came with your entry details for W&P, these were monitered 24hrs a day thoughout the show.

No 24hr contact number for security/site officials though.

"hi, is that the fire crew, can you sort out the drunk that has just run over my tent".

24 hr, uniformed security with contact numbers. On site 24hr 'troubleshooter' in a clearly marked vehcile.

toilets toilets toilets!!!!

ok i have stepped back a bit so far but here is my tuppence worth

clean rest room facilities

food available at not exobarant prices

no vehicle movement after 10pm after all most people have had a drink by then and no loud parties after 12pm

marshalls for movement and speed restrictions enforced

tents no problem with civi tents so long as camod up if next to mvs

propper routes for mil and civi vehicles so if reenactor in car then unload and move to designated parking areas

and finally no charges if exhibiting as costs money to get to events and if we wernt there there wouldnt be a event anyway

the plains bash is diffrent as we have to cover mod costs but then its not a show