Organising the pefect MV show...

Jack

But why wouldn't they :dunno:? If adequate provisions are provide for a non-military camping area in the same field but in a less intrusive position, then why should people feel they cannot attend shows just because they do not have a mil tent. Or even simply throwing a cammo net over the tent can provide just as adequate a solution, as it helps to obsure the bright colours of modern tents.

I myself currently sleep in the back of my Toyota Surf when attending shows. When the show closes for the day I bring my car up and park next to my display, and then move it before the show re-opens the next day, not a hardship and it keeps the show looking tidy and military orientated. If I had non mil tent I would be more than happy to camp in a different corner of the field, or if space permitted, beside my display but covered with a suitable cammo net.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people get the feeling they are being treated like second class citizens because they do not have a military tent -

They are likely not to bother spending their time and money attending the shows.

I do see peoples point but once again I get the feeling an elitist attitude will arise once we start to go down this path.

Live and let live - we are all the same.

Next idea will be to have all the armour in the best most visible fields and then farm out the wheeled vehicles around the edges.

OR

All the WWII vehicles in the best field and PW vehicles can fill the gaps.

See where I am going with this.

For instance - If HMVF decide to organise a show but rule civi tents are not to be erected where it is considered an eyesore -

The show will be one Ward La France M1A1 short as I don't have a Mil tent as yet - unless Lee SELLS me his - or lends it to me again.

Who's going to be the real losers here - me, HMVF, or Joe Public paying at the gate? :dunno:

Enough -

Hi-jacked your thread Jack.

Now I've spat my dummy out we can return to suggestions about what makes a really good show.

Sorry. :angel:

I would say this is still On-Topic, as organisers this is the type of feedback we need...

& you're still not having my tent :tongue:

I would say this is still On-Topic, as organisers this is the type of feedback we need...

& you're still not having my tent :tongue:

Not sure if this will provide valuable feedback Lee.

All the lucky peeps who own a mil spec tent will say - good idea and all those who haven't will say NUTS!!!

Any decent ad-ministater would sell me their 9 x 9. :tongue:

I object to the above comment.

Does my Ward La France M1A1 - Best Heavy Vehicle at this years W+P - make the field look like "Pikies" have turned up.

I THINK NOT. >:(

you're not looking at from our point of view. Mind you you are always welcome when it rains. :-D

The War and Peace show has a field callled The Quiet Field and this is where we go, it is for the shiny tents and the caravans so that people do not have to go into the other fields and be bright around the green, but over the years there has been more and more green vehicles in the quiet field that they are talking of making it into another America's type field, so whtaever you do people will do what they like to a certain extent and sleep in what they want.

Lee, sell Mark your tent. NOW!!!!!!

I don't think it likely that anyone would want to pitch up in a quiet corner away from their vehicle at a large show. Many vehicle owners display a lot of valuable kit with their vehicles, who's going to guarantee it's security overnight?

If we take this to the limit, is a field full of Landys really an MV show that would attract the paying public?

Lee, dont sell your 9 x 9 to Mark. Give it away to me instead! :-D

I feel a little guilty for continuing this aspect of the thread but not everybody can afford a mil tent . I'd love one & spent some time - yet again - looking round the merchandise on the Anchor stand at W&P but I simply do not have the 400 odd quid going spare to make the purchase .

If we take this to the limit, is a field full of Landys really an MV show that would attract the paying public?

Steady Steve.. you'll have the EMLRA boys after you :evil:

Lee, dont sell your 9 x 9 to Mark. Give it away to me instead! :-D

As soon as I've found a suitable fluorescent lime green tent I'll let you all fight over it :box:

I feel a little guilty for continuing this aspect of the thread but not everybody can afford a mil tent . I'd love one & spent some time - yet again - looking round the merchandise on the Anchor stand at W&P but I simply do not have the 400 odd quid going spare to make the purchase .

Easy solution, if one has to go for a Civ tent pick GREEN a bit more pleasing on the eye ;-)

Just to say

I DONT WANT THE TENT MARK DOES

Why can't people do what they do in the actors field and move the cars during the show???

Toilets must be cleaned on a VERY regular basis, should not have to take a shovel to tamp it down to go.

Why charge to show your vehicle when you have spent enough to get it there in the first place, without us no show, easy.

Showers, take your own?

Complete lock down/curfew at midnight, to deter thieves :evil:

Just some thoughts.

At Kemble they have 2 fields, one for people with military tents and one for the civi tents and caravans. It works very well, the vehicle displays do look much better. At 10pm they stop people driving around, if you go out and come back after 10 you have to leave your vehicle at the gate and walk back. I like the show, it works well and more and more people turn up every year. They must be doing something right?

All the lucky peeps who own a mil spec tent will say - good idea and all those who haven't will say NUTS!!!

Any decent ad-ministater would sell me their 9 x 9. :tongue:

Apologies for hi-jacking my own thread but Mark - come and talk to me about 9x9's :whistle: I may just know of some :whistle: :angel:

Great Thread,......and some interesting answers.............. :-)

my tuppence worth,.......... :whistle:

Tents,................ :dunno: I can see both points being raised have value,......yes, in am ideal world, modern tents being 'cammed up' so's not to stand out too 'loudly', would be good to see, BUT, not every one has cam netting, etc, which is another expense, etc........as well as taking up space that may be in short supply...........

Myself, I've a wwii 2man which holds my sandbags/boxes over night, whilst I sleep/cook etc in Bedford.

Toilets,.................Yes, kept cleanish AND stocked with fluffy puppies ;-).

Vehicle movement curfew,.................notified in advance on booking form, and displayed Prominantly on entry gate. Instant Explusion, if broken without good reason. Gate locked overnight.

Charging to enter appropriate vehicle;........................Errr NO, sorry,.......I'll NOT be going to that event.

(I've no probs being offered a 'rally plaque, type of thing, which does need paying for,.............thats MY choice,...............and this could be done via advanced booking forms, even down to asking for said monies up front)

PW, WW vehicles, etc,....................I've no problems with seeing a mix of vehicles, keeps the interest alive for those who do pay to come in through gate;......................another idea maybe's would be All brit vehicles grouped together, same with american, and so on............(having said that, I'd NOT want to see any lone 'other nations'vehicle out on their own............)

If space permits, an area where vehicle owners, if wanting to do so, could drive them, maybe's lumps and bumps, as well as more 'showground'y.

Bound to think of other ideas, etc later. :whistle:

Guess the biggest thing to try and strive for,.....................is FUN.

Andy

Yes & it's always white :dunno:

It's the one that usually has a half-a***d band playing badly. The only decent beer tent band I have seen this year was at Kemble. (Sorry, gone into grumbling musician mode). However, I think sometimes a DJ is better than a bad band as at least you get to hear the original versions of the songs!

Sorry, but there isn't a perfect show. The postings on this thread prove it, that's not to say that you can't take on board all that is said. But human nature being what it is, you please one means you upset another. Just do the best you can, learn by experience and just remember:

"It's my show, that's why!"

I agree, I am not suggesting that you go about upsetting the paying public, although I can be clumsy in the way I try to put a point across, what I am trying to say is: Don't be put off by the fact that some will thank you profusely for a memorable show, while others will say: Why did you do this? Why did you do that? Smile and think because I organised it, I put the hours in and I have the final say, that's ******* why!

Wow what an interesting thread!

So here goes here is my view........................................

Tents---------- I dont see a problem with civvy and military being mixed, as some else stated most people like to camp near their friends. We have a civvy tent (at the moment a green one is on its way!) we had a civvy tent because thats what we had when we started in the MV way of life, we couldn't afford to buy a new tent just for shows, now our tent is on its last legs yes we have decided to buy a green one.

cars--------- I would be happy to leave the car in a designated area. As long as it wasnt miles away.

Toilets----- you need quite a few and yes they need to be cleaned very regularly (dont forget disabled loos either!)

charging to bring your MV--------errrrr NO WAY! With out us (here I mean all MV owners) you wouldn't have a show, it costs a lot of money to bring some of these old girls to shows

Mixing MVs------- have no problem here.

Arena events-------- I personally think if you are putting a show on and charging for Joe public to come in you do need to have something in an arena for Mrs Public and the children.

showers-----again only needed really for shows of more than 2-3 days

My point of view.

Tents, I don't mind civvy tents, a decent 9by9 can cost about £400.

Toilets and showers. Must be plenty of clean toilets and I would like to see showers at every show, I would pay £1 to have a hot shower.

Charging. MV owners should never be charged. I will happily make a donation to a military charity.

Marshalls who are sensible, I was told to slow down by a marshall at W+P who was driving and drinking a can of stella at the same time!(and I was'nt driving fast).

Food outlets. I am fed up with food outlets at shows charging a fortune for absolute cr*p!!.

Evening entertainment, a dj playing 50/60/70's music that is NOT 1000 watts!. At W+P this year the kitcheners bar was like a high street disco, full of herberts and blasting headache music.