Organising the pefect MV show...

Jack

My point of view.

Tents, I don't mind civvy tents, a decent 9by9 can cost about £400.

Toilets and showers. Must be plenty of clean toilets and I would like to see showers at every show, I would pay £1 to have a hot shower.

Charging. MV owners should never be charged. I will happily make a donation to a military charity.

Marshalls who are sensible, I was told to slow down by a marshall at W+P who was driving and drinking a can of stella at the same time!(and I was'nt driving fast).

Food outlets. I am fed up with food outlets at shows charging a fortune for absolute cr*p!!.

Evening entertainment, a dj playing 50/60/70's music that is NOT 1000 watts!. At W+P this year the kitcheners bar was like a high street disco, full of herberts and blasting headache music.

I actually agree with every single comment there and I think the idea of a £1 per shower/day should be closely looked at - I think that could well be a very clever idea.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the public I think it's important that they are entertained, educated and informed.

Entertained:

Plenty to choose from, lot's of activities (both free and paid).

Educated:

It would be a big bonus if people would go back home a little wiser then they came. Teach them, challenge them!

Informed:

For a show to be perfect the public should get a map of the area with the location of the events and a detailled timetable of what is to happen where.

For the public I think it's important that they are entertained, educated and informed.

Entertained:

Plenty to choose from, lot's of activities (both free and paid).

Educated:

It would be a big bonus if people would go back home a little wiser then they came. Teach them, challenge them!

Informed:

For a show to be perfect the public should get a map of the area with the location of the events and a detailled timetable of what is to happen where.

Agree with these points,..............only (maybe's) re Informed, giving same info to any entrant that requests it, as well...................

(how many events have you got home from, without realising JUST how close the site was to,.................XYZ ??

At the Isle of Wight rally I went too a couple of years ago, the showers cost £1 a time or you could buy 6 tickets for £5. That allowed them to have a full time attendant and they were cleaned after each person used them. They were lovely, clean and HOT. I did not mind paying for that.

The hardest part of starting a new show is picking a date that doesn't clash with any other MV/Reenactor show.. have a look a the Event diary on Milweb, CMV & MMI & look at the dates for reenactors shows aswell as MV's... we picked the 3rd weekend in May for our show as that was the only one we could find that didn't clash with any other established show... don't just look at the dates of local shows, look at shows further afield if you intend for the show to grow in future years...

The hardest part of starting a new show is picking a date that doesn't clash with any other MV/Reenactor show.. have a look a the Event diary on Milweb, CMV & MMI & look at the dates for reenactors shows aswell as MV's... we picked the 3rd weekend in May for our show as that was the only one we could find that didn't clash with any other established show... don't just look at the dates of local shows, look at shows further afield if you intend for the show to grow in future years...

A good and (very) valid point.

Seems to me, that weekends are nearly all 'multi-booked', from end may to sept,..............but almost nothing around easter/early may bank holiday.

I DID say ALMOST........... :-)

Certainly, whilst I can appreciate the reasons for that, uncertainty of weather, lack of daylight hours, etc..................in many ways it does cause all other events to be 'bunched up', over remaining periods of time; and can cause, whilst not conflict,.certainly can make hassles for those who whilst wanting to support shows etc, also need to balance family/job commitments with in said short period.

Hence, for myself, why I will not be able to come to Salisbury trip,(again)...but am awaiting details of Dorset trip, with X'd extremeties......... :whistle:

Jack,

Good thread.

One thing that makes a good show is if the organisers show consideration for photographers like me who like to take tons of photos on digital. One of the best MVT shows I went to (about 1981!) was I think at Knebworth, where the vehicles that attended passed along a MV only route behind a barrier with a woodland / hedge behind which was free of any people or distractions. So I and many others were treated to our favourite vehicles being in front of us and nothing in the way. The results on my camera of that time were as good as any of those MVT calender shots of MVs in recent years.

In relation to this, show marshalls should ensure MVs are parked up not too close together, as space usually does permit this, so that reasonable photos can be taken of individual vehicles. Many people who come to MV events are keep modellers too and like to take detail shots.

Strangely when I first got in to the MV scene it was usual for vehicles to have a turn driving round the arena and for the comentator to say something of their history - even if it happened to be bog standard. This parade could take the form of same types all together, ie Jeeps or Land Rovers or WW2 or PW - it does not matter except that it gives us owners our 15 seconds of fame as apposed to just being totally ignored by the organisers. Many a time I have filled in details of the units my MV has served but I may as well have saved what I wrote as toilet paper for what good it had! OK this parade is not going to happen at very big shows like W&P with such large numbers but at smaller shows it is possible.

As you can imagine I am not in favour of civi tents and vehicles parked up DURING THE SHOW next to the Military stuff. Kemble does this bit better than W&P. A show that looks like an open air museum with some order to it will be more interesting to the public than a field that has all types of tents or support vehicles scattered about like the photos shown on this thread.

Lastly if you do organise a show please put the stalls NEXT to the arena so that myself and the public can browse the stalls but be close enough to see events that we like but then go back to browsing afterwards. You know what it's like - one minute you are looking at some interesting military hardware going round the arena then next you get a half an hour gap of nothing, then some other event your not the slightess bit interested in, followed by searching the skies for a parachute display that's 10 minutes late, followed by some more MVs!

Jack,

I should have also mentioned that getting to shows in unfamiliar territory can be a nightmare sometimes, with out clear instructions or a map in the confirmation sent to MV owners. You may laugh but it is not easy to find an AA route map on the web to some field you have never seen before if you don't know the postcode! And you will be amazed at how many place names are duplicated even in one county!

Unless the event is at a well known venue, some discreet signs at junctions may also help an MV owner save his marriage as he might be too proud to ask! However, I have heard that councils now want paying for boards placed on 'their' verges, so some kind of Divisional sign with a directional arrow tied to road signs might 'help' as it did in WW2. The Div sign could be changed each year, though on second thoughts could they could be left in place and become associated with a particular show (to those in the know of course).

Jack,

I should have also mentioned that getting to shows in unfamiliar territory can be a nightmare sometimes, with out clear instructions or a map in the confirmation sent to MV owners. You may laugh but it is not easy to find an AA route map on the web to some field you have never seen before if you don't know the postcode! And you will be amazed at how many place names are duplicated even in one county!

Unless the event is at a well known venue, some discreet signs at junctions may also help an MV owner save his marriage as he might be too proud to ask! However, I have heard that councils now want paying for boards placed on 'their' verges, so some kind of Divisional sign with a directional arrow tied to road signs might 'help' as it did in WW2. The Div sign could be changed each year, though on second thoughts could they could be left in place and become associated with a particular show (to those in the know of course).

Agree with the above,................I always think the signs should be put up by someone who DOESN'T know the area.

• 1 year later...
Simple question - what do you look for in a show? What makes a show good or bad?

I'm getting more involved with things at Duxford, so as the time comes for us to organise next years event, I thought I'd open up to some ideas of what people look for in a show.

Threads merged

Surly the best type of show is one that entertains the public and also the exhibitors cause without them there is no show, As for chivvy tents have different areas BUT still thinking of those groups that camp together. Not all groups have just military tents. other things are reliable people to provide GOOD support for the show and most of all GOOD ATMOSPHERE cause without that exhibitors wont come back. AND FUN

Duxford's biggest draw back is the fact that they shelved the two day show in preference to a single day event as they do not allow camping - I think this is IWM policy, as we have the same battle over Flying Legends in July.

This will always limit entrants however, (especially those from overseas that regularly used to attend the big MV events as Duxford in years gone by) as some people don't always want to travel serious miles for a single day event.

That said, the show has definitely been on the up in recent years and I'm sure it will continue to flourish - but in answer to your original question, my reply would be that in my opinion "any show of some stature needs to be a minimum of two days duration and to provide provision for overnight camping."

Edited by M5Clive

i like all shows jack . but can they be on my doorstep for a change somewhere like or nearer to sheffield ........thankyou ..:coffee:

For the war and peace show we travel 400 road kilometers and cross the Channel... and then offcourse back the same way.

So a event for more days and camping is a must when traveling distances.

Edited by Enigma

i like all shows jack . but can they be on my doorstep for a change somewhere like or nearer to sheffield ........thankyou ..:coffee:

Elvington next May, Yorks MVT vehicle rally. Check out Yorks area web site for pics of last years event, even the weather was brill. We'll take any ex mil vehicle and mix em up. Entry forms out after xmas. Ivor

Wow, alot of stuff about civvy tents! what is the problem with putting them up shortly before you need them, and taking them down in the morning? the last show i attended everybody done that, and most people hide away the civvy gear, before the public turn up i.e. carrier bags and bottles of pop. One chap made up a big plywood box painted green and lobbed all of his stuff into that, pulling it out when joe public disappeared.

The reason people leave tents up is because it turns into a land grab exercise, if Mil vehicles are given a bit of space, then its not a problem, and if you have a bunch who want to lager the vehicles together, and make a proper military camp, all the better, particularly if it is kept tidy and reasonably authentic it looks the part, which i believe is partly the reason we like MV's.

Exhibitors Civvy vehicles, caravans and low loaders should be parked away from the MV's particularly if Joe public are paying, it just looks wrong.

And i like the sort of show where everything is thrown in together, otherwise its all a bit predictable coming across the 10th jimmy truck in a row.

And vehicles moving so that you can see them doing what they were designed to do, an arena with a bit of informed commentary makes all the difference.

Oh yeh nearly forgot the 3 'B's bogs, booze and barbecue.....mission completed!

Edited by Adam Elsdon

.....what is the problem with putting them up shortly before you need them, and taking them down in the morning? .......

I for one wouldn't go if I had to pack my tent away each day. We have a modern tent, and don't camp light. Lynne likes the comforts of a modern tent ( me too ) and wouldn't be interested in buying a military tent. It's also somewhere to cook so we don't have to waste money on crappy expensive fast food, and somewhere to sit WHEN it rains! When appropriate, we do have a large camo net to cover it with.

Most people will want to be with friends, which means an area of mixed camping ( mil & modern ), and another area for military only. Military only should allow mixed era vehicles, but accomodate friends who want to put together a themed WW2 or Post War display.

I'm another who isn't interested to pay to display. It costs enough to get vehicles around the country, and if there is to be a public show, then they can pay for the spectacle. However, an entry fee for a private event ( ie a convoy event ) is acceptable to cover organising costs.

Steve

Just about to cut my teeth with an event (may be of should of started off with an easier event) so flipping timely thread! Keep it coming...

Adam made some great points and like I have always said, static shows aren't my thing but I think more is being done and can be done to avoid the usual line up of mv's in a line.

Showers and clean ones at that.

A couple of points to add.

Ive sort of changed my mind about civvie tents, when you think how much we spend on our MV's and equipment and fuel, £400 for a 9x9 12x12 which will last forever is good value and makes the shows look better.

My mate bought a civvie 4 man tent for £100, he's used it about 6 times and it's falling apart!

What makes a great show?

THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Jessie made a good point about exhibitors paying to attend a show, absolutely no way! i have never been to a show up here and paid to attend, and as far as i am aware all have done well enough through public entrance fees. I have been involved with organising a show a few years ago and know what a pain in the arse it can be!(Turned out good though)

You have to strike a balance, if you are turning up and showing for free, take into account that somebody has organised it, and has put some money into something which potentially could be a loss, and your loss the following year when it isnt repeated, so do your best to make an effort and present your vehicle and yourself in the best light possible, if i was joe public and had paid to get into an event and seen a pikey park with stripey deck chairs and bottles of pop everywhere, instead of the expected "Military" display they are looking for i would be disappointed.

I personally dont do re-enactment, but i do try to put the effort in and set a scene with my vehicle when showing and talk to as many people as i can, put a helmet and webbing on the kids and let the parents take pictures of them in the vehicle......they love it, and i really enjoy it as well, a bit of effort from everyone really helps, if you take it all to seriously its a bit cack frankly!!

For us buying a 400pound tent isn't much of an option (especially when used 1 or 2 times a year) because we're on a budget.

Also the car I take is a civvie Renault marked as a UN vehicle. Stuffing a big heavy tent would take to much space also.

Bringing/driving the Dodge to the UK is far too expensive (800 road kilometers) so unless I get some substancial good luck for a change there isn't much of an alternative.

Beltring 2001, my brother and me brought a Jeep with everything in it for a week.

The rain meant the little tent was very small indeed.

But what were we supposed to do? Trailer? Have to buy one first and shipping it by ferry means more ferrycosts, also extra fuelcosts.

So the important things for us are money, money and money or staying at home.