green goddess restoration

i know i know, lots of green goddesses are still in really good condition but mine happens to be rough.

This is only my second vehicle, and my first soft skin, however, I'm determined. I'm sharing the shed with work which means that Dolly (the green goddess) has to leave the shed most daytimes to make room.

However, I'm doing a kind of video diary on youtube.com, just to see how it goes. The videos should be on the search engine in a few hours time (I've just uploaded them to the site) and can be found by searching for "green goddess dolly".

Any advice is always gratefully accepted.

Paul

• 4 years later...

Well, seeing as I started this in 2007, I thought its about time to get on with the job.

I've done very little spray painting before and so what easier way to start than painting a green goddess. She has been getting rougher over the last couple of years being stored in a pole barn. I've done the head ghasket no its the cosmetics, not sure which is easier.

Anyway the photos are of work done so far.

I rollered on the etch primer which I'm kind of regretting because the finish is very orange peelish. However, I have experimented with the rear quarter near side and have found that with some sanding and lots of sprayed layers of high build primer, more sanding and then some coats of DBG things look a little better, but not as good as the original sadly.

Tomorrow I will be putting on the front panels and doing the rest of the primer, but the weather is looking a bit wet to be ideal, but I only have two days before she has to leave the shed and make way for industry.

I painted my scammell outside with two years between primer and top coat. It looked ok for about three years but then i removed and refitted the engine and bashed it about in the process and the decided to re plumb the air system so now it looks rather used....Still it looks ok on camera.....

are you using an HVLP gun?

R

There you go, you have just exposed the problem, I don't even know what that is....... high volume something, lack of knowledge and experience can slow things down.

The green looked too orange peely this morning so it has to come off and the etch primer needs alot more sanding down, not happy.

No Im not saying it is the problem, im just curious as to what kit your using.

I have seen some of the most amazing MV paint jobs achieved by laborious prep work, good quality paint and a Wagner electric $40 sprayer.

It might be the humidity which is known to cause many a problem.

I am not painter by any means.

R

lack of prep it is, and also being in too much of a hurry and not waiting for the warmest weather, plus its a dusty environment despite my best efforts.

Still, if I was starting again I would do things differently, so at least I'm learning some lessons here.

CIMG0234.jpg

CIMG0235.jpg

I remember reading this years ago, it was about spraying cars outside. Wetting the ground around the vehicle cuts down the amount of dust getting blown onto the fresh paint. It's obvious really.

Matt

Try this, dont just sand the orange peel green back to the primer. Spray a very light coat of a contracting colour straight over the green. White or light grey would be ok. This is called a ghost coat. Then, working in small sections at a time, using a fine grit (320 is good) sand it down gently. You will be able to see all the little nicks, scratches or orange peel dimples much easier as they will stand out in the different colour. When all the ghost coat has gone you will have a nice smooth surface to try again with a fresh top coat.

Here's my Militant, first coat of light green primer "ghosted" in black aerosol

These lines are the brush painted red oxide underneath showing through

Close up of drivers side, still a bit to sand down by the indicator, top corner bit needs some more work, black paint highlights the poor quality filler. Bottom of the door needs to be better too. Rest is perfect ready for the next coat.

All takes time and effort though, kills your arms, all that sanding, but worth it in the end. Better prep = better finish

Ghosted web.jpg

Ghost Scratches web.jpg

Ghosted 3 web.jpg

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Add Pictures

I have a green goddess coming in for some paintwork in a weeks time I will get some pics before and after.What paint did you use on yours 2 pack or single pack synthetic.

Howard

Hi

I used etch primer, then high build primer followed by everyday deep bronze green bought from cobbaton

Try this, dont just sand the orange peel green back to the primer. Spray a very light coat of a contracting colour straight over the green. White or light grey would be ok. This is called a ghost coat. Then, working in small sections at a time, using a fine grit (320 is good) sand it down gently. You will be able to see all the little nicks, scratches or orange peel dimples much easier as they will stand out in the different colour. When all the ghost coat has gone you will have a nice smooth surface to try again with a fresh top coat.

Here's my Militant, first coat of light green primer "ghosted" in black aerosol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48792[/ATTACH]

These lines are the brush painted red oxide underneath showing through

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48793[/ATTACH]

Close up of drivers side, still a bit to sand down by the indicator, top corner bit needs some more work, black paint highlights the poor quality filler. Bottom of the door needs to be better too. Rest is perfect ready for the next coat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48794[/ATTACH]

All takes time and effort though, kills your arms, all that sanding, but worth it in the end. Better prep = better finish

Good stuff Rob, any photos of the finished article?

Have you got any closeups too?

Cheers

Paul

Good stuff Rob, any photos of the finished article?

Have you got any closeups too?

Cheers

Paul

I will be posting more on my own restoration blog when I've done some more :D. Took them ones last sunday as I was sanding it down. That's as far as I have got

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Getting to the end of constant sanding painting, swearing sanding painting swearing etc, and things are getting better all the time. Has anyone had any experience of compounding? Sounds like it would finish off the paintjob, shining her up a little and losing sanding marks too, but I've never done it before.

Cheers

Paul

CIMG0263.jpg

Yes - compounded the paint job on some classic cars in my time. As with all things the secret is patience -do a little bit at a time until you finish one panel. Do not press too hard, let the compound do the work. Some people say it's OK to use a polishing mop but I prefer the old way by hand and a mistake with a mop can burn orn otherwise screw the paintjob.

To do a Goddess will take a long while but the end result will be so worth it!!

Yes - compounded the paint job on some classic cars in my time. As with all things the secret is patience -do a little bit at a time until you finish one panel. Do not press too hard, let the compound do the work. Some people say it's OK to use a polishing mop but I prefer the old way by hand and a mistake with a mop can burn orn otherwise screw the paintjob.

To do a Goddess will take a long while but the end result will be so worth it!!

cheers Neil

When can you start??:)

keep the mop wet, if you let the compound go dry you will burn the paint.

by hand will take you forever, and also you run the risk of rubbing in grooves if your not carefull.

use a mop its easy and faster, but be carefull on edges and corners, you will cut through the paint in seconds.

but as i have said the most important thing is keeping the mop wet, and moving, dont dwell on one area too long or youll cut through or burn.

wear some old clothes as it flings the water all over the place, and move other things or vehicles out of the way! or you will have a big clean up after.

cheers

shaun