green goddess restoration

cheers Neil

When can you start??:)

I'm out of work so if you're in the Essex area I don't mind lending a hand!! :D

keep the mop wet, if you let the compound go dry you will burn the paint.

by hand will take you forever, and also you run the risk of rubbing in grooves if your not carefull.

use a mop its easy and faster, but be carefull on edges and corners, you will cut through the paint in seconds.

but as i have said the most important thing is keeping the mop wet, and moving, dont dwell on one area too long or youll cut through or burn.

wear some old clothes as it flings the water all over the place, and move other things or vehicles out of the way! or you will have a big clean up after.

cheers

shaun

Thats why I prefer to go by hand - takes longer but the risk of burn and edge damage goes away. I'll start at the corner of a panel working about a square foot of surface and then gradually move over and down as it progresses.

I guess, though, on a beast the size of a Goddess a mop might be more sensible if used with extra care and attention.

• 3 months later...

On the subject of polishing I see that some people seem to be in the same place as I was a couple of years ago. Maching polishing is bad because we got a lambswool mop with the kit that came with the 7" sander, gave it a go and destroyed the paint. That was 20 years ago and nothing has changed since. As with most things I think I was wrong.

The best place to start is here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66024

Read it, then read it again. More carefully this time. The world of polishing and paint correction has come a long way in the past few years and the options are a little bewildering. I ended up paying the chap who wrote that article to spend a day with us to give us a vague idea what to do and how to go about it. The results when you get it right are staggering. There is so much you can do to correct even quite grim imperfections with razor blades, wet flatting using abrasives that you didn't realise P numbers went that high and machine polishing with the right compound on the right mop for your particular paint.

Somehow it is counterintuitive. A foam mop, bone dry with virtually no polish on it? Surely that will destroy the paint?

If it is older style coach enamels you have used it is best to leave it for a while before you start polishing because it will give off its solvent for a long time. We waited over a year before we started polishing the Sentinel. However, when you set about it and see that run that had annoyed you for a year slowly vanish never to be heard of again the reults are very pleasing.

The only thing which is annoying is just how much you need to pay for what looks like bits of foam.

just as an update to this thread, the goddess has been put on ice for a while because of work committments, however, it was nearly there until one of the lads drove into it with a forklift.......................................... :(

I hope that he paid for his carelessness with his life.

Looks really good, so I hope the set-back isn't too bad... Just bought a GG so going down the road of a light resto as mine's in decent condition having been stored undercover, which is good. Just put up a post in the emergency services section with pics:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?27424-PGW-326-Bedford-Green-Goddess

There's a link to my blog on there too.

How easy are the front wings to take off? The nose of mine has faded a touch which isn't a drama, of more worry is that there is a really small amount of rust along the seams along the top of the wings. I'd rather treat it now before it's big bubbles, holes, new wings.....

Cheers,

Duncan.