WW2 BUTLERS B-WD-H1 Black out light

Ian L

I wonder whether looking at parts lists which are often specific to a particular contract would give you a better idea of a changed or superceded item. Manuals or handbooks sometimes carried illustrations or plates which showed out of date items.

Is it the QL drivers handbook which carried a picture of the larger early type headlight in quite late wartime editions ?

I wonder whether looking at parts lists which are often specific to a particular contract would give you a better idea of a changed or superceded item. Manuals or handbooks sometimes carried illustrations or plates which showed out of date items.

Is it the QL drivers handbook which carried a picture of the larger early type headlight in quite late wartime editions ?

Hi David,

This is gleaned from a QL parts book dated after production ceased, and gives cut-in's for part changes, by chassis number. Using info from Bart Vanderveen I can deduce the following;

B/WD/H1 Chassis no. 4795 (built 1941) to 44966 (early 1945)

B/WD/H1/DP Chassis no. 44967 (early 1945) to 52122 (1945)

B/WD/H1/0 Chassis no. 52123 (1945) >

The last chassis built was 53247, in 1945.

cheers Richard

Hi David,

This is gleaned from a QL parts book dated after production ceased, and gives cut-in's for part changes, by chassis number. Using info from Bart Vanderveen I can deduce the following;

B/WD/H1 Chassis no. 4795 (built 1941) to 44966 (early 1945)

B/WD/H1/DP Chassis no. 44967 (early 1945) to 52122 (1945)

B/WD/H1/0 Chassis no. 52123 (1945) >

The last chassis built was 53247, in 1945.

cheers Richard

Thanks Richard,

So that's at least one vehicle parts book which specified the DP headlight mask (just) before the end of the war. I'll have look at my Austin parts books.

What was the B/WD/H1/0 ?

Cheers,

David.

No confirmation of the manufacture of new headlamps but various sources refer to the reduction of black-out regulations from September 1944 onwards. Field modifications were made to take this into account.

This extract is from the official 'Adminsitrative History of 21st Army Group :-

"Speed of manufacture was in many cases greater in BELGIUM than in ENGLAND where any new project had to be placed on a priority list. For instance, at the end of September it was decided that in view of our air superiority an increased amount of light could be used by vehicles at night in the rear areas. It was therefore necessary to design a method by which vehicles could use more light in the rear areas but could conform to operational requirements when in the forward areas. 200,000 headlamp modification sets, each consisting of sixteen different items, were designed and supplied within four weeks, whereas a minimum of three months for the task had been estimated by the Ministry of Supply in UK".

No confirmation of the manufacture of new headlamps but various sources refer to the reduction of black-out regulations from September 1944 onwards. Field modifications were made to take this into account.

This extract is from the official 'Adminsitrative History of 21st Army Group :-

"Speed of manufacture was in many cases greater in BELGIUM than in ENGLAND where any new project had to be placed on a priority list. For instance, at the end of September it was decided that in view of our air superiority an increased amount of light could be used by vehicles at night in the rear areas. It was therefore necessary to design a method by which vehicles could use more light in the rear areas but could conform to operational requirements when in the forward areas. 200,000 headlamp modification sets, each consisting of sixteen different items, were designed and supplied within four weeks, whereas a minimum of three months for the task had been estimated by the Ministry of Supply in UK".

That would explain it not showing up in the armoured vehicle parts lists until the MoS caught up.

By way of completeness, this is the DT version. The glass is completely flat and can be swapped with IR blackout glass (painted film on the inside). The raised edge has a clip that can take a diffusion mask for use with the Tabby IR kit, giving a wider beam.

image.jpg

Edited by Lauren Child

By way of completeness, this is the DT version. The glass is completely flat and can be swapped with IR blackout glass (painted film on the inside). The raised edge has a clip that can take a diffusion mask for use with the Tabby IR kit, giving a wider beam.

Thanks for that, Lauren, I've got a pair of these in store and I didn't know what they were.

As ever with ebay, if items go for super high prices it doesnt really mean that they're intrinisically worth that much, just that they're worth that much to two individuals who need that part to complete a project.

£150 for a light sounds a lot, but chancing a bid at £150 to finish off a £10k truck is probably worth the risk of it going that high, even if it's overpriced for the component.

Thanks for that, Lauren, I've got a pair of these in store and I didn't know what they were.

I dont suppose they've got the blackout glass, mask and clip with them?

The Tabby manual(s) that Clive has got show the IR lights as an extra set of lights complimenting the originals, hence thinking about the photograph that Ian and I have seen with the extra lamp of a different type on the QL.

Edited by Lauren Child

As ever with ebay, if items go for super high prices it doesnt really mean that they're intrinisically worth that much, just that they're worth that much to two individuals who need that part to complete a project.

Ain't that the truth! Witness the Loyd carrier workshop manual that finished last night at £260 versus an identical one that finished Friday night at £26! What is the 'value' of one of those?

Ain't that the truth! Witness the Loyd carrier workshop manual that finished last night at £260 versus an identical one that finished Friday night at £26! What is the 'value' of one of those?

It all comes down to who sees the auction, and what you pay overall for a project :)

It all comes down to who sees the auction

Yes sometimes a seller describes something ineptly or incorrectly or spells it incorrectly. Consequently there is little in the way of bidding & you can get a bargain.

Sometimes a well meaning person not interested in the item spots it & as a public service draws everyone's attention to it, that can be great, but not so great if you are patiently waiting for the sale to end & you have placed a low bid. :D

• 6 years later...

Back from the dead ...

I also found some B-WD-H1 ( Shell) and ring is stamped B-WD-H0. These are unused but maybe wet at some point all light have rust. They don't have bulbs inside, any of them. 

Can anyone help me what these were used for ?

IMG_20220320_144653.jpg

IMG_20220320_144647.jpg

IMG_20220320_144643.jpg

• 5 months later...