WW2 BUTLERS B-WD-H1 Black out light

Ian L

Just picked up this BUTLERS B-WD-H1 headlight.

Its quite obviously Military rather than civilian due to the WD & I guess it might be a blackout light of some sort but never seen one before & I guess its late war due to the small size but what vehicle was it fitted to & does anyone have a photo of one in service ?

DSC03700.JPG

DSC03701.JPG

DSC03702.JPG

DSC03703.JPG

DSC03704.JPG

DSC03705.JPG

DSC03706.JPG

Ian I believe this may be a very interesting & unusual find! You do keep finding these curiosities!

I have a Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores Section LV6/MT3 1943 it illustrates L/WD/H1 which might seem to be the Lucas version. It has the lower 2/3 of the light blanked over & the aperture facing a vertical screen attached to the hood. So that you cannot see light if you were stood in front of the vehicle, as it should be for a normal blackout light.

B/WD/HI is listed & illustrated & shows a similar blackout mask over the lens. But yours is not like that either the mask is missing or it was the modification to B/WD/H1-UV that had no mask & a 12v.ultra-violet bulb.

I covered UV driving from page 14 in here:http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/Tabby01.pdf

Have you looked at the bulb, is it a UV one?

The WD light itself is relatively common, but the front is unusual.

I have seen an old photo of this style fitted as an extra lamp on the front of QL's which made me think of the tabby fit that Clive mentionned, but it's not a style that matches the ones in the books I've seen so far. It may just be an extra lamp of a civvy style to make driving at night safer.

The WD light itself is relatively common, but the front is unusual.

I have seen an old photo of this style fitted as an extra lamp on the front of QL's which made me think of the tabby fit that Clive mentionned, but it's not a style that matches the ones in the books I've seen so far. It may just be an extra lamp of a civvy style to make driving at night safer.

I've seen a wartime /period photo of one on the L/H side of a QL too but didn't like to mention it :embarrassed: cheers.

Here's the normal blackout type.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112421[/ATTACH]

Lauren,

I am after one of those for the Loyd, the original lamps that I have are IIRC Lucas ones, the Loyds manual states either Butler or Lucas so I presume it was a lucky dip as to which manufactures unit was fitted at any given time on the production line. Do you know if the Lucas blackout cover fits either lamp or is there a specific Lucas version?

I've got one of these masks squirrelled away with a few other lights but can't remember it too clearly. I think it's a mask only without shell or reflector.

I certainly can't remember seeing the "Butlers" stamp in what is a very unusual position.

I have always thought of it as being a WD item, part of a spot or driving lamp and the pictured lens and focus fittings would confirm that. I'm sure that I've seen one fitted at bumper level on a Humber Snipe being used for filming in the late sixties or early seventies,although that confirms nothing.

Whether the mask is a WD item or not I don't know although it has all the appearance of being right with the exception of a WD prefix or designation being stamped on it. It does not feature in the 1943 VAOS catalogue either but might in another edition (Clive ? )

If if the mask,lens and shell appear to have spent their life together in the factory black paint,in the absence of any conflicting documentary evidence I would consider it to be an auxiliary spot lamp possibly fitted to the faster WD vehicles such as staff cars.

Does it appear in any parts lists ?

David.

No Clive - the headlight is the same but the mask is different. If you look at your picture the bottom edge of the mask shroud is horizontal but on Ian's mask is sloping upward. It is a different mask but the same headlight body. The mask is the oddity.

Edited by David B.

Indeed, you can fit a Butler rim to a Lucas shell but it's not so easy the other way round as Butler used a slightly larger diameter which I'm sure was no accident.

Yep I agree Adrian, I have quite a few spare shells so I must get round to swopping them around & making a correct pair.

On that subject, does anybody have literature confirming when the DP marked blackout fronts came into use? I assume it means 'dual purpose' as they are obviously intended as blackout or normal night driving with the flip up flap. I have always though of them as post-war but would like to know for sure.