Ferret News

Morning All, I have just bought a Ferret 2/4; which has made Val roll her eyes a bit but she is very understanding. I have got the manual but this is a new venture for me and any advice re keeping batteries charged and gearbox healthy would be greatly appreciated. I am in Maidstone, Kent.

Right you lot!

Val is my lovely wife, who has put up with me for 6 years but now has doubts about the Ferret.

Sirhc - you really are talking to a novice here. What is GCP and where do you suggest breaking into the circuit to put the isolator switch. On a similar theme, where do you suggest putting an electric fuel pump and where can I get a 24 volt one from.

Dave

David,

Before touching your Ferret read through the manual thoroughly. I also suggest reading the parts book and familiarising yourself with what the bits are, how the go together and how they work. You will need to take things apart so it's better to have an idea of how it all fits together now.

The most important point is that the GCP is the Gear Change Pedal. It is not a clutch. Do not use it like a clutch.

I fitted one of these:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/battisol/battisol.html

To the RH battery box in between the -ve battery terminal and lead. They fit through the vent holes, you will need to drill 2 bolt holes to fix it in place. You will also require a lead between the battery and switch, fit the existing lead to the other terminal on the switch. This will prevent the interior lights, intercom etc from draining the batteries.

I've never had a problem with the mechanical pump, but if I wanted to fit an electronic one I'd use one of the plugs near the generator panel, probably the ignition line.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi Dave,

We are virtually next door!! I'm in Gillingham, also got a 2/4 ( Good Choice) Also my wife Loves the little beasty!!

As for isolator, Negative lead I believe!!

GCP = Gear Change Pedal ... Beware of False Neutrals!! Will put your left knee somewhere near your left ear!!! :whistle:

As for electric fuel pump.. May not be needed, If you have problems starting it, check the fuel filter inside behind the commanders seat on wall, it sometimes gets air-lock andyou need to just prime it with a little top up!

I run my old girl for about 15-20 mins once a fortnight ... BUT.. Check the oil in your dynamo first!! Little brass bolt with washer ( Don't Drop it!!) just prime with a few squirts of engine oil then replace the bolt, don't over tighten!!

Apart from that,

Tell Val to talk to my Mrs.. Annika... She will get her to understand the other girl in your lfe!!Ha Ha! :yay:

Anyway, Welcome to the Hobby Mate,

Fred :banana:

Welcome to the world of ferreteering

I have an electric pump, its wired directly off of the battery through a 24v/12v dropper. It works really well, especially if you are low on fuel. As long as you get one that only pushes at about 2 lbs else you might keep flooding the carb.

Good luck

Paul

Welcome to the world of Ferrets.I like posting pics.Here is my brothers.But i do all the driving.He,s never drove it.

I bet you've told him it's dead hard to drive just so that you can continue with the best ride in the world ever.

You bet i did.

And who could possibly blame you?!?!? lol. I'd have done exactly the same. Though in a high-density civilian-populated area, the view is much better from the turret and the ladies ... I mean civilians ... get to see something of the commander.

Best thing about Scorpion driver training was the days we went out to Stonehenge and the ladies ... I mean civilians ... all looked up admiringly at the turret crew.

Ah halcyon days.

Morning All, I have just bought a Ferret 2/4; which has made Val roll her eyes a bit but she is very understanding. I have got the manual but this is a new venture for me and any advice re keeping batteries charged and gearbox healthy would be greatly appreciated. I am in Maidstone, Kent.

Hi David -

If you get any problems and your head starts spinning - drop me a mail. I live in Sevenoaks but the girlie-friend lives in Bearsted.

Have fun.

Markheliops

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions chaps. I have booked for The Hop Farm, so see a few there. Bloody hell, doesn't the little hole where the Browning should be, let in a lot of water when it rains (rueful grin).

• 3 weeks later...