Scrap yard relics...

Jack

At a guess the owner is buying the missing bits one at a time, and had just received that by post. :blush:

You are right. That is what happened. He brought it up to our new "club house" to show it to us and fitted the stay bar to keep the rad in place on the journey.

He bought it from a Somerset farmer about 40 to 50 years ago and worked it on his farm until it died. he has become interested in restoring it and has bought various parts for it. From the chassis number i can see it was made in May 43. Amazing to see that these things do turn up still.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was brought up across the fields from Hanningfield Metals/H&M Sales nr Chelmsford Essex.

I remember all the Scorpions and Ferrets that sat there. I'm wondering does anyone have any photos of the tanks in that yard?

If anyones interested, I have photos of some of the equipment that was sold there just before the place closed down, showing what was left before it was all scrapped.

Edited by shadow_wolf

I was brought up across the fields from Hanningfield Metals/H&M Sales nr Chelmsford Essex.

I remember all the Scorpions and Ferrets that sat there. I'm wondering does anyone have any photos of the tanks in that yard?

If anyones interested, I have photos of some of the equipment that was sold there just before the place closed down, showing what was left before it was all scrapped.

Hello

Have you any pics of ferrets there?

Cheers

Matt

Hello

Have you any pics of ferrets there?

Cheers

Matt

Sorry Toolman, the Ferrets were there at the same time as the Scorpions and other heavy stuff, must have been about 20 or so years ago. I took some photos at the begining of this year, just before the blokes that were running the place left owing the landlords money. Everything that was left was due to be scrapped, Everything :cry:

Cheers for posting them Clive. Do you have any photos of the Scorpions that were there, or the Humber Pig?

I remember how much they wanted for the Ferrets at the time, between £1200 and £1500 if my memory serves me right. And £7000 for the Scorpions. last year I was told how much they had cost to buy from the MOD, bit of a price mark up on them by the time they were sold :shocked:

Cheers, Simon.

Just found number '43' on the web, its famous:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ferret-Scout-Car-18EA24.jpg

Edited by shadow_wolf

In case any one is interested, just before the place closed down the owner told me how much the MOD wanted for the Ferrets and other vehicles....

If you are reading this, please make sure you are sitting down before I continue.....

Ok, the Ferrets were sold to H&M sales/Hanningfield metals by the MOD for £140 each, and the Scorpions and Centurions were sold for £100 each - as they were more difficult to move :wow:

I nearly fell backwards when he told me this....

From what I understand the Government changed their minds about 20 years ago, when they realised how many tanks had left the MOD and were now in the hands of public. This meant that the vehicles left at H&M sales/Hanningfield Metals had to be cut up.

I may be wrong so if any one else has any info on this, it would be great to hear the rest of the story...

From what I understand the Government changed their minds about 20 years ago, when they realised how many tanks had left the MOD and were now in the hands of public. This meant that the vehicles left at H&M sales/Hanningfield Metals had to be cut up.

I may be wrong so if any one else has any info on this, it would be great to hear the rest of the story...

My recollections of the Tender Sales at Ludgershall was that some were bought under what I think was called a "scrap waiver", where by these particular vehicles had to be scrapped and not sold on for use and places like Hanningfield may have had good vehicles but not saleable, officially.

Correct me if I am wrong as it is about 18 years ago now when those sales were on.

The sales of the vehicles was dealt by someone in Surrey I was led to believe not Hanningfield themselves.

But 25 years ago you could not officially buy exMOD armour. There were six Ferrets that were at shows in those days were ex-Hong Kong Police imported by Mike Hoffman in Reading. As the end user was not the MOD there was no problem.

At that time I viewed a large number of ex-UDR Mk 3 Shorlands at an ordnance dealer's yard. I was told I would need MOD clearance to make a purchase, which I was unlikely to be granted. However there was a single Mk 1 & the end user was not the MOD. So I bought it.

I believe some of these were moved on to Budge. I think Philip of Dunsfold made an application to purchase one of these & despite running a museum was turned down. I think within the next year he was able to purchase one because the rules changed.

ISTR there was a test case when a Pig was purchased from MacGregor's. There was some sort of fuss that it had been sold without permission. I think the defence was made that a Pig was not an 'A' vehicle but was based on a 'B' vehicle. Likewise a Shorland was not an 'A' vehicle. It seemed to be at that point rules were relaxed & anybody seemed able to buy more or less anything.

It didn't mean that AFVs etc would not be required to be cut up because numbers had to be culled not because of MOD intransigence but to comply with the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe. To placate the On-Site Inspection Agency vehicles that were due to be destroyed had large blue crosses painted on them?

I didn't see any blue crosses on the Hanningfield ones though. I have a copy of the treaty in front of me it seems to have been ratified in 1989.

In case any one is interested, just before the place closed down the owner told me how much the MOD wanted for the Ferrets and other vehicles....

If you are reading this, please make sure you are sitting down before I continue.....

Ok, the Ferrets were sold to H&M sales/Hanningfield metals by the MOD for £140 each, and the Scorpions and Centurions were sold for £100 each - as they were more difficult to move :wow:

I nearly fell backwards when he told me this....

aaahhhh :-) THUD!!

shame we can't see the registrations. Thanks for posting photos.

MT

• 1 month later...
By "standard" I think you mean what most people think of as a Shorland ie with a turret this is a SB300 (assuming it is a Mk 3) This was an APC but meaning Armoured Patrol Car.

These scrapped Shorlands look like normal SB301 Shorlands. They couldn't call them an APC as that terminology had been used on the SB300, so these were APVs, Armoured Personnel Vehicles.

Ignorance of geography again, Singapore had four RHD SB401 in 1983. 401 radiator much further forwards to accomodate V8 engine, 301 just had 6-cyl.

Clive I found some of the remains of these today and the data plate says shorland SB301 Mk3 but cant see the VIN

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72231[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72232[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72233[/ATTACH]

Appararently its a 6cylinder petrol engine. I'm not so familiar with Land Rover sixes to know if original or not

I was looking at the front diff as the guy is breaking it for parts. Apart from the wheels I dont see much use for it out this way as everything is pretty much type specific, even the gearbox looks different.

I am hoping maybe I can use the front diff casing and halfshafts if he scraps it

throwing my bit in.....that doesn't look like any 'standard' LR 6 cylinder ??? I don't know though....there's so many different variants and who knows what's been cobbed in them over the years ...:nut:

and the front diff looks 'Salisbury' ish to me.....though I admit to not having a clue as what diff/axle a Shorland was usually fitted with in the front?

Edited by RattlesnakeBob