Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

throwing my bit in.....that doesn't look like any 'standard' LR 6 cylinder ??? I don't know though....there's so many different variants and who knows what's been cobbed in them over the years ...:nut:

and the front diff looks 'Salisbury' ish to me.....though I admit to not having a clue as what diff/axle a Shorland was usually fitted with in the front?

Yep armoured Land Rovers (Shorland and Snatch) normally have Salisbury, some

civi 1 tons and also 101. The catch is they are a weird mix up of parts and a lot is not interchangeble.

The hub to hub is different from series, 101 to Defender. What I am trying to figure out is if the axle carrier and tube (casing) is the width on all variants?

i.e. is the difference from the tube outwards? I am hoping the central bit, apart from the spring mounts was the same and the bits that bolt on at each end are different (ie swivel balls, CV's axles etc).

A Series typicaly has a different ratio than a defender, but have no idea what ratios are in a Shorland

As stated above, that is the standard 2.6 litre straight six inlet-over-exhaust engine that was optional up to and including SIII. It was developed from the old (Series 1) four cylinder IOE engines of firstly 1600cc, later 1997cc (which of course evolved from Rover car engines of the 1940s).

In good nick it is a very nice engine to drive, underpowered by modern standards of course, but in its day a great option. Spares are very hard to come by for it now, and it is by no stretch of the imagination economical.

IIRC it was the imminent arrival of the Stage 3 V8 which ulitmately led to the deletion of this engine (or more likely the age of this engine and the need to delete it as an option which lead to the introduction of the Stage 3 V8).

Ah well I know nothing about 6-cylinders let alone V8s, mine's just got a 4-cylinder

I rebuilt some of these 6 cyl engines for Shorlands, back in the mid-70's I think. The army / RAF also used a few fire engines powered by them. They are of the same design as Rolls B range, inlet over exhaust, due to very small bores, harping back to the old RAC rating which impeded engine design at the time.

Clive I found some of the remains of these today and the data plate says shorland SB301 Mk3 but cant see the VIN

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72231[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72232[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72233[/ATTACH]

We reconditioned land rover gearboxes for MOD stores (100s). Surprised to see a batch of heavyweight come through. Were they units for the APV. I say this because the main gear case was longer by 1.5" and all the constant mesh gears were double helical. Very impassiveness assembly.

Superpoise?

that's my guess

I agree with you, actually they were a well built truck, quite nice to drive, I drove several of them, this was a civilian truck utilized by the military, several were used to tow the Queen Mary Trailers (RAF) and Navy. besides many used in the cargo version.

I agree with you, actually they were a well built truck, quite nice to drive, I drove several of them, this was a civilian truck utilized by the military, several were used to tow the Queen Mary Trailers (RAF) and Navy. besides many used in the cargo version.

I know which truck you mean Ray and I would agree that is the likeliest candidate but there were various other Superpoise models dating back to pre WW11 and they all appear to share the same basic cab, the differences being forward of the scuttle.

I know which truck you mean Ray and I would agree that is the likeliest candidate but there were various other Superpoise models dating back to pre WW11 and they all appear to share the same basic cab, the differences being forward of the scuttle.

As usual, I stand corrected........ I do remember that all of the Commer trucks that I drove all proved to be reliable and well constructed, a nice solid truck.

Would they be Salisbury axles then?

Definately a Salisbury. Just another odd variant

Some more stuff from the junkyard I visited last saturday

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72588[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72589[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72590[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72591[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72592[/ATTACH]

As usual, I stand corrected........ I do remember that all of the Commer trucks that I drove all proved to be reliable and well constructed, a nice solid truck.

On the contrary Ray I think you may well be correct, I was just trying to add a little more information. Commer were confusing as they used the same names ie Superpoise and designations Q2, Q5, etc for different models over a long time span.:confused:

Thanks. It was suggested that it was a Commer, but of an unknown type. I dont think its future looks that promising.

Tim

Hi Tim, if it is a Q4 as has been suggested then it can have no real value other than scrap but if it is a Q2 from the same era(50's) then perhaps it may have some value as I haven't seen one in many a year.

• 1 month later...
Mike, where abouts in Malaysia is this place? I have just been to KL and KK but will be going back to 80 miles offshore of KK for about three weeks but I will have a container there.

Maybe we could meet up and have a look around?

Apologies... just saw this.

The Unimog and Magnirus is not far from KL about 30mins. The main junkyards are up Ipoh way which is about an hour and a half from KL. I like going on junkyard tours :D

different country

these are in France and a few interesting ones in there http://club.caradisiac.com/emile-dj/emile-dj-18634/photo/152-2650299.html#photo-2730467-b05-210994-jpg

just realised you may have to register in there so samples

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73946[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73947[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt

this is the much larger thread, that you would need a week to get through as right now 6281 pages :wow:

http://www.forum-auto.com/automobiles-mythiques-exception/section5/sujet152251-219800.htm

Some from the past few days

Posté le 14-03-2013 à 19:16:31

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73998[/ATTACH]

Posté le 12-03-2013 à 17:33:10

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73999[/ATTACH]

Posté le 10-03-2013 à 17:42:05

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74000[/ATTACH]

Posté le 25-02-2013 à 19:51:01 in this yard in the background http://www.leboncoin.fr/utilitaires/439293883.htm?ca=22_s

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74001[/ATTACH]

Posté le 26-02-2013 à 17:39:48

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74002[/ATTACH]