Firearms and mv's...

Hi all as you can tell i ask a lot of questions but thats the fun of coming into a hobby you know nothing about, this question has always been burning in my mind but ive just never asked it, you see it all the time with vehicles with machine guns etc and obviously tanks with their main guns deactivated but some have them live, (mine of which is a de-ac) but im just interested in how do you go about getting the license to own a live firing gun? what license do you even need, sorry to sound so stupid but this is something that has certainly never been discussed in our house and im sure a lot of you on here will know. And also again sorry if this sounds stupid but this is more an interest than anything but what are the laws with blank firing weapons, i do re enacting and we have a blank firing maxim, and im thinking for my WW2 renacting are you allowed blank firing machine guns? say a .30 cal.

Anyway any information is most appreciated.

Seb.

I'm sure someone will be along with more up to date info, but when I lived in Swindon in the 80's there was a chap near me with a fantastic collection of armored cars all with firing ordnance. All had the rifling bored out and were licensed as shotguns!.... Even the 75mm on his Saladin. :-)

I'm sure someone will be along with more up to date info, but when I lived in Swindon in the 80's there was a chap near me with a fantastic collection of armored cars all with firing ordnance. All had the rifling bored out and were licensed as shotguns!.... Even the 75mm on his Saladin. :-)

No rifling down barrel and classed as a smoothbore, same as shotgun!

From my days in the English Civil War Society the barrel has to be smooth bored and up to 2 inch bore with a minimum barrel length of 24" to be legally held as a shotgun. I remember a few years ago the yachting fraternity who used starting cannon were falling foul of the new laws as the barrels weren't long enough.

Regards

John

A guy near me has a live fire Chieftain and a T55(?).

He told me all he did was phone his local police HQ and asked to speak to the Firearms & Explosives department and went from there.. I don't think his have had the rifling bored out of the barrels but I could be wrong.

As long as you don't have a criminal record and can prove good reason (he does some TV and re-inactment work) you should get there in the end. From memory, I think he said after the initial very long silence down the phone, he was referred to Special Branch who did some digging on him and his past before handing it back to the local police HQ who eventually issued the licence.

James

Best thing is to read the online book Home office guide to firearms licencing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/262215/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v6_Nov_2013.pdf

To be very basic, as said, smooth bored single shot can be on a Shot gun licence

Single shot rifled can be on a Section 1 firearm licence

Automatic like a RADEN (I think it's 30mm Automatic) would require section 5 authority which is hard to get but not impossible.

Next thing would be ammo, blanks need no licence unless you make them and store a certain quantity of powder in which case you need an explosive licence.

Any other kind of explosive or Armour piercing round requires section 5 Authority, even a .55" Boys projectile "used" needs a section 5 authority due to the Tungston AP core.

Obviously there is lot's of other things as mentioned such as barrel length, overall length, calibre etc. etc.

No problem getting a Firearms Licence for a large calibre manually operated weapon (without Ammo entitlement), but where you live will make a big difference to how easy it is.

Your Local Constabulary will put their own interpretation on the law knowing that they few individuals will bother to challenge them in court. For example in some parts of the country a Tank or Armoured car will be expected to be housed in a high security alarmed building, whilst in others only the Striker and or block will be expected to be housed in a Firearms cabinet. Living on the wrong side of the street can make a big difference!!

I found Hampshire police to be very helpful. Bearing in mind this is a bit outside their usual comfort zone, a joint discussion on the wording of the Firearms Act and the Home Office Guidance document had the desired effect.

Andy

So is this something I could go to my local police office and talk to them about or will that end in some form of disaster?

Seb

You need to contact your local firearms dept and speak to your local FEO