BBC televisions D day coverage

jason1968

Hi I have just watched this all the way through from beginning to end how dissapointing more time was spent watching the 19 heads of state walking along with their kids and interviewing to eddy izzard??? than talking to veterans.... The lack of ww2 vehicles moving were a JEEP some DUKWS that you could only just see in the distance and a sherman etc on the beach. What are the BBC trying to do it was disgusting I reckon and they could have done a lot better. It was the 70th anniversary who wants to see a bloke with nail varnish and a bunch of overpaid heads of state instead of all the lads that fought for our country and world peace ! The only bit that was ok was the lanc dakota and spits but then the commentator talked over the engine noise!!!!!!

It could have been much better. The worst bit was the French re-enacting the D Day landings in dance. Cringeworthy.

I did like the bit about the Mulberrys. At about 2:42.

At 2:46:30 there looked to be a clip of a couple of LVT's coming ashore at Arromanche, but they were probably DUKW's from a distance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01zcwfk/dday-70-the-heroes-return-part-2

Looking forwards to talking to my friends when they get back as I have not heard a thing.

Jason, did you watch all 8 hours or so or just the edited highlights?

Like it or not, the BBC's prime responsibility was to cover the main official events of interest to the British - at Bayeux Cemetery, Sword beach and Arromanches-Les-Bains - so that those veterans who couldn't make the trip could feel involved.

Whether the international event at Sword beach was to everyone's taste is another matter - I suspect it wouldn't have been to mine and am rather glad, thanks to things being an hour behind schedule, that after the arrival of dignatories and the opening remarks from Hollande the BBC cut to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge meeting veterans. That said, the split picture shot of Obama and Putin was priceless!

There were plenty of 'in-fill' slots with veterans, historians and 'personalities' - I thought Chris Tarrant was incredibly respectful and reflective, and in many ways made for as good TV as the interviews with the veterans. The historians irritated me the most though - especially when the DD Valentine was called a Sherman!

Watched the highlights.

The highlights for me was seeing 3 veterans I know personally.

Also the planes and the few vehicles in sight were good.

I only watched the highlights because during the day I was in a nearby town for a Dutch veterans day held on purpose on D-day.

I read the modern army would have 2 vehicles and a few old MV's.

I called townhall to offer our vehicle on that day for display and was gladly accepted. I took our Mum and a female friend along, a very nice day.

The mayor persnally thanked us.

Not needed offcourse, it wasn't about me but about the young and old veterans and remembering a historical day.

I thik the BBC do a great job but its a tough one. its for the youngsters who know little about the war other than what they have learned on x-box, (and that is a good amount generally, my sons know more about the d-day landings than I do.) But I just feel that they don't get over what really went on, how momentous an event for the world and Europe this was...how awful a battle it was, how so many got killed in the first few hours on Omaha beech. and what that meant to their families....etc etc I feel sure that had we not invaded, the real scenario is that Russia would have annihilated the Germans and carried on through the rest of Europe....a scary thought.

I can only say that those immortal words of 'lest we forget' must never apply...

For someone living on the 'eastern front', I must admit that the relevance of the heads of state was important. Some of my wife's students returned home to the eastern end of Ukraine at Easter and never returned - others won't be going back to the Crimea because they won't be exchanging their passports for Russian ones. So while it would have been nice to see a few more MVs and stuff, who did or didn't shake Putin's hand was of more than passing interest. Sad, and annoying, but true.

trevor

Hi I have just watched this all the way through from beginning to end how dissapointing more time was spent watching the 19 heads of state walking along with their kids and interviewing to eddy izzard??? than talking to veterans.... The lack of ww2 vehicles moving were a JEEP some DUKWS that you could only just see in the distance and a sherman etc on the beach. What are the BBC trying to do it was disgusting I reckon and they could have done a lot better. It was the 70th anniversary who wants to see a bloke with nail varnish and a bunch of overpaid heads of state instead of all the lads that fought for our country and world peace ! The only bit that was ok was the lanc dakota and spits but then the commentator talked over the engine noise!!!!!!

Hi Jason, I believe Mr Izzard's father was a Normandy Veteran. However something I do know 100% is that he along with another gentleman each year pay for both flights and accommodation of any Normandy Veteran and a family member who wants to go back to France. I know this as a Vet from our town was able to take advantage of this generous offer this year, along with numerous others.

I'm looking forward to sitting down and watching the commemorations, which I have saved on the box. Viewing in Arromanches was very much restricted this time (compared to five years ago) so hopefully will manage to see and hear what people had to say during the event.

There were plenty of 'in-fill' slots with veterans, historians and 'personalities' - I thought Chris Tarrant was incredibly respectful and reflective, and in many ways made for as good TV as the interviews with the veterans. The historians irritated me the most though - especially when the DD Valentine was called a Sherman!

Eh?Tell me more about the DD Valentine being mistaken for a Sherman? I was in France so missed the coverage but would be very interested in this bit??

It was during one of the studio in-fill slots when one of the historians was commenting on a bit of archive footage. Admitadly the screen was up, so unless you recognise the track bogie arrangement it would be easy enough to get the ID wrong...

If you get in quick, have a look at "The Science of D-Day": http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b045gr8m/the-science-of-dday :cool2:

The Science of D Day, This could have been much better, a poor and lame script let it down.

Errors besides the Churchill's rubber tracks;

Donald Duck tank.......never heard that before

Iron and steel, referring to a Sherman..............very little iron in it

Lovingly restored................by 'Jonathan' Pearson, who he ?

DD Tank Division................no such thing

Operation Smash........it was Exercise Smash

Ministry of Defence............should be War Department

Landers..............a new modern word for Landing Craft ?

Landing Carriers..........never heard that either

Army Flying Museum...........The Museum of Army Flying

Lewis gun on a LCA...........Not 100% sure on this one.

The Science of D Day, This could have been much better, a poor and lame script let it down.

Errors besides the Churchill's rubber tracks;

Donald Duck tank.......never heard that before

Apparently the Sherman M4 duplex drive was known as the DD, hence the nick name.

I have to agree with Bob. All I've ever heard them called is Dee Dee tanks, never Donald Ducks

I did say apparently but if you google search 'sherman dd donald duck' there are 2 pages of results which suggests more than urban myth or pub talk.