The old 6 volt questions, again!

The joys of 6 volt. My old battery has turned up it's terminals. So start looking for another. An obvious question has just come to mind. What sort of amp hour for a 6 volt Dodge? Trouble is half the voltage , twice the price. So I don't want to end up paying a lot more for unessacary power.

Lincon ( note the spelling ) They do a 6 volt dry charged and I think with a delivery option. I'm sure the Dodge one is the same as the j@@p one as regards capacity.

Have a look and then let us know on here. I'll be needing one soon too.:undecided:

Best way to bu%%er up a battery is to crank the engine over when battery is getting low. And you know what happens when a 6V system is being temperamental.......

My experience is 'buy the biggest Ah that will fit'.

Not only less stress on the battery but you're buying more run time when a fault develops too :D

With regards to capacity, get the biggest you can afford the one time its damp and miserable and it proves troublesome to start you may well need that little extra.

Also it will be able to hold a higher voltage when cranking which is the critical time you need the most volts.

Good luck

Being doing the trawl around the net and local factors. Lincon , as usual, have come up with the best deal I can find. A 143 amp /hour battery at £131.23 inc vat and delivery. The original were 116 amp/hour so given the quality of Lincon should do nicley.

Iv'e recently bought one of their 143 amp/hr batteries to fit onto a jeep, good fast service, looks the part and more to the point does the job.........recommend

Pete

Now, I have an Odessey in my Discovery. I would like a gel battrey in the Dodge, as you say many advantages for a vehicle that dosen't do much. The last time I talked to Optima on the subject the answers were ambivalent. I'd be intrested in your opnion.

The problem is the regulator charging off a Dynamo, I've heard Optima can be very prissy about garuntee, and I was recommended by 4x4 competion people that Oddessey were the better kit, but don't make a 6 volt.

Edited by Tony B

Now, I have an Odessey in my Discovery. I would like a gel battrey in the Dodge, as you say many advantages for a vehicle that dosen't do much. The last time I talked to Optima on the subject the answers were ambivalent. I'd be intrested in your opnion.

The problem is the regulator charging off a Dynamo, I've heard Optima can be very prissy about garuntee, and I was recommended by 4x4 competion people that Oddessey were the better kit, but don't make a 6 volt.

? Optimas don't need a warranty :D

I've had one on the GMC for several years now. I also acquired a secondhand one in a very nice black plywood case which came attached to a WC54.

I've got Christmas to think about it. Optima, The pros are, price much the same as conventional, holding charge when at rest, more efficent cranking (Claimed!) Drawbacks , looks, but how often do you drive with bonnet up? Questions I've heard over build quality and reliability in hard use. Original lead acid battery Pros- Conventional known technology, looks the part, cost the same. Cons- I've encountered problems with modern chargers to bring a battrey up from flat. Loosing charge when standing, cranking power when there is the slightets drop of charge.

Here's something else for you.

I've heard discussion about fitting 8 volt batteries to some of our units, allied with re-setting the voltage regulator / cutout to enable charging voltage to suit. Apparently there is noticeably better cranking performance with the extra couple of volts.

Anyone sell 8 volt units here in Europe ? price ? how much work do you have to do at the voltage regulator ?

I suppose the good point here is that all our trucks have old style adjustable regulators which should be amenable to the odd tweak, but of course you would really have to know what you were doing.

All valid pros and cons Tony,

If it's any consolation Iv'e been down this avenue a couple of times in the last 2 years but each time opted for the conventional old school lead acid on the basis of lack of proof positive on 6v system improvements when using the new type batteries.

Charging from 6v dynamo/cvc set ups seems to raise questions which I have not been able to get definitive answers for, I'd be interested to hear more on this from any one who has the new types fitted to conventional charging systems.

Pete

I'm baised towards your points Pete. On a 12 volt I'd have no hesitation, the replacement would be a gel battery. But for the 6 volt, I think I'll stick with conventional. The T-214 engine is a big lump to turn over. The original fitting was about 116 amp/hour, though changes in how the rating is calculated complicates things. Most importantly the lead acid is robust enough to soack up the changes in charging rate of a Dynamo as opposed to an Alternator, Optima's own text is very prcise on charging requirments. I doubt an old system could be adjusted that finley being mostly mechanical. One problem with a 6 volt system is you have a lot less margin to play with on charge states.

Has anyone ever converted there charging system to a Dynalite? Don't know if they do 6 volt but just interested on views?

. The range of these Lightweight Dynamo replacements (Dynalites) includes C40, C42 and C45 Lucas types, along with replacements for the classic VW's, Porsches and Mercedes. Powerlite have over 40 years of experience in the Automotive manufacturing Industry so you can be confident in the quality and performance of these products. They all come with a full years guarantee, and are delivered to you free of charge (UK mainland).

To summerise, the Dynalite:

• Looks identical to an original Bosch or Lucas dynamo and is a direct replacement.

• Has up to 80% more power across all rev ranges.

• Is lightweight – approx 60% weight of original unit.

• Has increased reliability due to use of modern materials and components.

Think the idea is that it still looks original :D

Playing akward then, that would make it a ..fake. The thing is the original equipment does work, and if it does fail is easy to repair. The last Dodge Dynamo I repaired was due to a failed bearing, dated 1945. Whole job including going to get a new easily available and cheap bearing was a couple of hours. All done under field conditions! The only 'Gadget' used was was an electric grinder to touch the inner ring of the old bearing. Besides maintinence, on a nice day!, is an excuse to putter about for a couple of hours telling all comers S*d off! I'm Busy!:D

I wonder if a 6 volt solid state regulator would be kinder to Optima batteries? Years ago I converted a 6 volt regulator on a M20 motorcycle and it worked far more smoother than the original, no erratic cut out and cut in as the old type.

Interesting point Richard, It may well control the dynamo output more closely. That is the main reason I have kept away from the new types of battery as the specs all seem very tight on voltage input. Whereas the most of the US pattern WW11 era dynamo/cvc set ups seem operate in a range from 6 to 8 volts. I don't pretend to understand the fine detail of alternator v dynamo/cvc charging patterns but I just feel it's a lot of money to lay out on the new style batteries to find that the spikes produced by the old technology damages it, but I'm willing to be converted if more positive information becomes available.

Pete

As far as I know there has not been any major steps forward in battery technology to compare with the tried and tested flooded lead acid batteries, they will stand much more abuse from over discharging and over charging within reason and still recover to last ages, I have heard stories of spiral gel batteries if over discharged don't recover well and are fussy regarding the charging voltages also they are expensive.

The old Lucas MCR1 motorcycle cvcs were known to be somewhat unreliable and were superseded by the larger MCR2 which looks wrong on a wartime motorcycle so the choice for most of us is a later mechanical unit or a solid state regulator hidden in the original case which is probably the more common choice.

Obviously, electric starting isn't a problem for motorcycles of this era and the battery is only used for ancillaries.

6v AGM batteries are available in various ratings. They're not cheap but they are good.