Ferrets in Aden - new service pics

Toolman

Hello everyone

A friend of mine has kindly allowed me to post his service photos from Aden. The ferrets which can be seen are: 86BA57, 04BB56?, 00CA67, 00CA69.

As you can see, ferrets are without any bins or mudguards, and some have sand tyres, plus the rear light / jerrycan arrangement on 86BA57

Ferret 86BA57 is now bright yellow in Newcastle, if you know which one I mean.

Great photo of a mine protected landy too (97EN26).

Cheers

Matt

08.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Edited by Toolman
spelling

ferret 1.JPGGreat Photos !

Similar modifications to my ferret seen in a different setting in Aden. ( one of the same vehicles involved I think?)

Interestingly, all the studs for mounting the centre bin have been removed off the O/s excape hatch, and I originally thought this was when it was prepared as a possible gate guard HOWEVER , I have been watching a you tube video of ferrets in cyprus in 1991 ( mine was there also) , and the close up shots reveal they had the centre bin removed , and the studs ground off / removed .

So these modifications on my ferret probably started in the early 60's and stayed that way thru to the end of its life .

So its not having a centre bin fitted !!

ferret2.JPG

Edited by Fugly
photos and more details

Like Fugly, the off side escape hatch studs on my ferret have been removed. I wondered why.

Here is a link to the youtube post btw

Edited by Toner
Adding link

I have a minecab rl as in picture 2. Nice to see in service picture. These pictures are so much better than refrence books because of unoffical mods ect. When people say they were never like that we can prove them wrong. Keep posting the pics thanks

I notice that there are 432's shown in the photos, I never knew that they were deployed in Aden, any further info on them ?

Yes, I was surprised to see a 432 too. I'll ask my friend. Also, I suspect he has more pics.

Cheers

Matt

I notice that there are 432's shown in the photos, I never knew that they were deployed in Aden, any further info on them ?

And still with side track guards fitted, I see.

Andy

This picture hangs on a wall in unficyp.. And clearly shows no side bin and no sign of any mounting for it...

I see that the FSC bears a UN number plate, which dates it as post-1977 since we were still carrying UK plates during our 76-77 tour as Force Reserve Squadron. We provided all UNFICYP's Ferrets (unless Britcon's CSM had a Mark 1). Every Ferret, including our SSM's Mark 1 had all bins fitted. We had 24 Mark 2s and one Mark 1 on our Orbat and there was a rolling upgrade programme akin to Bargepole and Scorpole so that well in excess of 25 FSCs passed through our hands.

I'll therefore suggest that FSC side bins were on the way out before FSC left service and I am not in the least bit surprised that side bins are nowadays as scarce as rocking horse droppings.

I came across a picture a while back of a FV432 in Aden that had been fitted with either a ferret or a Saracen turret over the commanders hatch. It was from a scan of an article, the text of which suggested that it was a REME fitters vehicle from A squadron QDG.