New Toy 1944 Morris C8 GS 15cwt

Ian L

Gosh, loads of spare parts. I bet you will be selling all those off those soon. (only joking)

Yeh Tim like I did with the Morris petrol tank 2 months ago and then ended up buying the C8 with a leaking R/H tank :mad:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still need a pair of Butler BO lights...one would be a good start ;)

Sorry that ones not for sale as its going on the C8 but I do have a couple of Lucas BO lights with just the slit (no flap) which I might just sell ?

Thanks and i appreciate the offer but my MW has Butlers so the Lucas covers would not fit i believe? If you get any leads for a pair it would be appreciated.

Lovely truck....i will come and introduce myself if i see you at one of the shows this year.

Cheers

Richard

How do they do that? What is the process for restoring Bakelite?

Hi Rick I think its some sort of plastic ? not Bakelite.

They strip off the origional material, restore the steel wheel & then remould it, I think :???

This is my restored steering wheel Ian.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73531[/ATTACH]

Restored by steering wheel restorations.

Hi Guy my C8 & QL steering wheels are green, did you choose black or is that the colour yours was ? and why is the horn button hole so large as mine is not much larger than the nut, is yours a later wheel ?

I recognise that wheel............Bought this as a bedford one, but when i got it it clearly wasn't, been sat in the wardrobe since. It's about 17" outside dia, and the hole in the center is 7/8" Dia.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73529[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73530[/ATTACH]

Now thats a proper thing to have in your wardrobe.....

It does look familiar - though I will check though before declaring what I think it is off!

What colour should the steering wheel be ? its green plastic at the moment but the centre MCC nut cover is a blackish/brown colour is that correct, is it black early vehicles & green later & I have a mix ?

What colour should the steering wheel be ? its green plastic at the moment but the centre MCC nut cover is a blackish/brown colour is that correct, is it black early vehicles & green later & I have a mix ?

Hi Ian,

I have few steeng wheels , black and green plastic.

Repair is possible, to a certain extent of damage, remove rust, use a fine filler

and spray with green or black, so I corrected the steering wheel at MWC.

Tom

Snímek 1038.jpg

Hi Guy my C8 & QL steering wheels are green, did you choose black or is that the colour yours was ? and why is the horn button hole so large as mine is not much larger than the nut, is yours a later wheel ?

The steering was as it came with the QL, the horn push is a rubber piece that holds the centre horn push.

This rubber piece is hold in to a sort of clip that slips in to a grove in the steering wheel.

On my restored steering wheel I had to make a sleeve with a grove to fit the rubber and clip from the horn push.

The steering wheel was well restored but the centre hole was not up to the standards of the rest of the restored steering wheel.

But the centre hole on the picture is almost the same size as original!

Guy

Hi All,

I did restore the steering wheel of my Bedford aeroscreen in the past and the old owner was amazed how good looking it was again, so he did gave me 2 others for reparing.

After that Roof over Britain came with 2 badly broken steering wheels and i did that job too....

I did have used some filling material we do use at my work for connecting sockets to steel wire and after grinding sprayd them in black.

Cheers,

Louis

Hi There,My PU has a blackish brown steering wheel that pretty much matches the MCC centre cap, the PU is 1937 and i think the wheel is the same as the 15Cwt . The 3 centre arms are solid bakelite type stuff and not hollow backed pressing as seen in the photo above.I will have a look for the pics, not sure on the C8 types and coloursRegards Tim

Hi There,My PU has a blackish brown steering wheel that pretty much matches the MCC centre cap, the PU is 1937 and i think the wheel is the same as the 15Cwt . The 3 centre arms are solid bakelite type stuff and not hollow backed pressing as seen in the photo above.I will have a look for the pics, not sure on the C8 types and coloursRegards Tim

My '43 MCC C4 is exactly as Tim described above, although colour is nearer black than brown. Jerry

Hi Tim, Paul from steering wheel restorations phoned me today about the colour, he thinks its a green Bedford wheel as they have the same keyway ?

He also said the the Nuffield tractor which has the same wheel as the Morris C8 is black so I'm going with that colour as that matchs the brown/blackish MCC centre cap.

• 4 weeks later...

No wonder the brakes failed on the way home, pays to remove those drums :shocked: the masted cylinder looks like its never been off & the hoses which look origional have almost corroded away underneath that thick green paint.

096.JPG

097.JPG

098.JPG

099.JPG

103.JPG

104.JPG

105.JPG