New Toy 1944 Morris C8 GS 15cwt

Ian L

Hi Ian,

Anything written under the cap?. Common to find rude messages for the CSM as on inspectin a bastard would pop them off and check for internal cleanliness, a rude message was non attributable. I have some spares if you need one. Why were some of the wheels green, I have a green one and a couple of brown ones. Shout if you need any spares but you seem to have most of what you need.

Best regards

Tobin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ian,

Anything written under the cap?. Common to find rude messages for the CSM as on inspectin a bastard would pop them off and check for internal cleanliness, a rude message was non attributable. I have some spares if you need one. Why were some of the wheels green, I have a green one and a couple of brown ones. Shout if you need any spares but you seem to have most of what you need.

Best regards

Tobin

Hi Tobin good to see you on the forum mate, could you hold onto all your C8 spares untill I can get over to you. cheers Ian

• 11 months later...

Took the old girl to the trimmers today for a new cab cover & side screens, its a year now since I bought her & since Tom's now insured it was his 1st drive out on the road. mind you it might be his last if he does the same to this as he did to my jeep on the way to W&P last year :mad::mad:

012.JPG

003.JPG

007.JPG

• 3 months later...

May i asked who made your canvas, and what the price was?

At the moment i am restoring a Morris C8 and all the canvas is missing, so i need a full set and have bnot found a company yet who could do this without an example.

Kind regards,

Sjoerd van de Wal

• 5 months later...

Hi

Just to let you know i owned and restored this Morris in the early 80's (reg originally BMR 795B) i bought it from a chap at Pangbourne.

It was militarized, as in having green paint put over its civilian pain and very little else had been done to it. I ran it for about a year then restored it for the 1984 D-Day MVT trip. Stripped it down to bear metal and re painted and also had to re-build the engine as all the valves were burnt. could not get new valves so had to have them re manufactured arrived back, 3 weeks before the trip.

sold the vehicle to a welsh chap in about 1988-9 the year i got married. The truck is still going the marriage not!

1a.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

May i asked who made your canvas, and what the price was?

At the moment i am restoring a Morris C8 and all the canvas is missing, so i need a full set and have bnot found a company yet who could do this without an example.

Kind regards,

Sjoerd van de Wal

Hello.

I know this is a slow reply. Did you get sorted with the canvas for your truck.

If not I could make you a set.

If your interested send me an email. pegasus-drive@sky.com

Cheers

Frank

Hi

Just to let you know i owned and restored this Morris in the early 80's (reg originally BMR 795B) i bought it from a chap at Pangbourne.

It was militarized, as in having green paint put over its civilian pain and very little else had been done to it. I ran it for about a year then restored it for the 1984 D-Day MVT trip. Stripped it down to bear metal and re painted and also had to re-build the engine as all the valves were burnt. could not get new valves so had to have them re manufactured arrived back, 3 weeks before the trip.

sold the vehicle to a welsh chap in about 1988-9 the year i got married. The truck is still going the marriage not!

Hi Derek I bought the truck from a guy in Wales a couple of years ago so possibly the same person ? how did it loose the reg BMR795B and end up with a period plate ? I would be very interested in its early history in civi life and any photos you have of it please.

We will be taking her to the Guernsey 70th anniversary next year with my 20cwt GS trailer & Norton 16H.

Regards Ian

Ian, your truck truck belonged to an early Berks and Oxon MVCG member called Pete Woodage who lived in Pangbourne, unfortunately Peter passed away in the early 1980's.

If memory serves me right another stalwart of the early military vehicle scene Phil Passey found the truck for him on a farm on or near to Salisbury Plain. I remember Peter telling me that it had stood in a barn for a number of years however it started up on the handle and they drove it home this would be about 1974/75. Peter and his family were supporters of the local show scene and showed the truck around the local area for a number of years before selling it on.

Pete

Hi Ian

Have attached some more pictures of the Morris when i did her up in the winter of 1983/4 and also the day for the off to France in 1984.

I also did the 40th Jersey trip in 1985 with the Morris, which was fun as the roads were so narrow, she never let me down in all the miles that i drove around the south coast to shows from Brighton to Yeovil right up to Cobham, i used to do between 3-4 thousand a year........... petrol was cheaper then, 70p a gallon!

Round about the year i sold the vehicle the new legislation came in about free road tax and MOT exemption but you had to have the age related number on the vehicle, so the new owner must have re-registered the vehicle. Up until that point it was a case of going to the local garage and the MOT tester would sit in the vehicle press the break pedal and turn the lights no and say "I drove one of these in Korea" and a certificate would be issued.

Have you got used to the Morris dancing at 30-35? i found that loosely holding the wheel and letting it wobble in your hands stopped the vehicle starting to sway, until you drove through it to about 38-40. My friend Gerry who had a wooden bodied C8GS would hang on to his wheel for grim death with the whole vehicle moving all over the road, until the wobble stopped about 40.

I have some of the Factory Photos from 1944 which i will also scan and post

I hope to see the old girl around at some shows in the near future, as you are only a little way up the road, and next year funds permitting i am looking to get another 15cwt myself IMG_0001.jpg

Regards Derek

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Hi

Added an album to my profile containing sets of black and white factory pictures of the C8 Range which are very interesting.

C8GS timber Body, C8GS steel Body, C8 Compressor (no canvas and the tool box and spare wheel reversed to allow the drive shaft to go from the PTO into the back body), C8 wireless soft top you can see the extended legs for the tilt frame and the communications tube to the cab as well as windows in the canvas and lastly the C8 Wireless hard bodied which has to be the best of the bunch never seen one before, but it uses the standard 15cwt wireless body.

as you can see with all these they left the factory with the registration numbers but it looks like the Tyre for the spare wheel was down to the unit to supply!

just a taster attached

Derek

C8 Wireless Hardtop.jpg

Those are great photos, Derek.

With my serial number anorak on, one is very interesting because it shows the vehicle's census number hand-written on the bonnet. I assume this was done by the factory to ensure that census numbers linked to chassis numbers. Some manufacturers didn't do this so there's no exact correlation between the two, and they vary by up to maybe 30 numbers.

Most of the other photos show that the hand-written number was cleaned off, presumably after the signwriter had painted it permanently on the bonnet. There are dates marked on the bonnets too, but only a day and month. I'm assuming the dates are in 1945 because I don't think the C8GS was in production as early as March 1944 - or do you know better.

The colour of the tilt on the steel bodied C8GS is interesting in that parts of it appear to be black. I've never noticed that before.

• 2 years later...

NOW FOR SALE.

Due to temporary I'll health she's going up for sale in the near future.

:(

Unfortunately on the way home from W&P last year she developed a minor knocking but because I had loaned it out to 'friends' they kept driving until it developed into a major fault & I think she's knocked out a big end bearing.

Ideal winter / summer project.:nut:

• 5 years later...

Hi all. Trying to find out more information about my grandpa's old truck . It was a 1944 Morris c8. There has been mention of it on here from Ian before (2017) and it had the reg. No of BMR as I remember it. 

Peter was from Pangbourne and we went to a lot of shows in it as a child. Any info would be great please!

Thanks,

Tom