CVRT Spartan (Artists Rifles markings)

TooTallMike

Best way to do the steering is to use a pressure bleeder. You may need another reservoir cap to drill a hole through in order to use one though. We've used the Ezbleed before, I forget who makes it, but you can buy them in Halfords.

Another thing I found was that removing the drivers seat first made it easier to bleed the steering, as the seat may prevent you from getting full travel on the tiller.

Chris

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Began connecting the dashboard to the vehicle at the weekend. Rather a confusing job, as although I had already traced the dash wires and the hull wires (and written everything down), we wanted to double check everything. The difficulty came when I tried to cross refer everything to the wiring book! Had to trawl through pages and pages of diagrammes to locate certain wires. Fortunately we found no mistakes in my previous work and have only a few wires left to locate and connect.

Once connected up, I plan to test as many circuits as possile, then begin tidying, re-routing and soldering the connections. Looks a complete mess in the picture!

Began connecting the dashboard to the vehicle at the weekend. Rather a confusing job, as although I had already traced the dash wires and the hull wires (and written everything down), we wanted to double check everything. The difficulty came when I tried to cross refer everything to the wiring book! Had to trawl through pages and pages of diagrammes to locate certain wires. Fortunately we found no mistakes in my previous work and have only a few wires left to locate and connect.

Once connected up, I plan to test as many circuits as possile, then begin tidying, re-routing and soldering the connections. Looks a complete mess in the picture!

Rather YOU, than me............ :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wahey! :-D

Got the last few wires hooked up at the weekend. Put the power on and Hey Presto, the lights all work!

Well....I only had one spare side light bulb and one stop/tail bulb, so I had to go around all the positions with them to test everything. The only mistake we found was the tail lights and convoy light had been reversed, so this was quickly rectified. We suspected we had done them the wrong way around anyway.

The fuel pump and horn also work. We cannot really test anything else until the engine is fitted, which will have to wait until Mikes WLF is re-assembled.

There are only two wires left, and I suspect that one is the internal lights and the other is part of the smoke discharger circuit. They are both currently evading my best efforts to find their respective other ends other ends.

I plan to tidy all the wiring once everything has been tested with the engine installed, as it is all currently connected via terminal blocks. Once tested, everything will be soldered.

Wahey! :-D

Got the last few wires hooked up at the weekend. Put the power on and Hey Presto, the lights all work!

Well....I only had one spare side light bulb and one stop/tail bulb, so I had to go around all the positions with them to test everything. The only mistake we found was the tail lights and convoy light had been reversed, so this was quickly rectified. We suspected we had done them the wrong way around anyway.

The fuel pump and horn also work. We cannot really test anything else until the engine is fitted, which will have to wait until Mikes WLF is re-assembled.

There are only two wires left, and I suspect that one is the internal lights and the other is part of the smoke discharger circuit. They are both currently evading my best efforts to find their respective other ends other ends.

I plan to tidy all the wiring once everything has been tested with the engine installed, as it is all currently connected via terminal blocks. Once tested, everything will be soldered.

Which reminds me. CVR(T) and Ferret. One had Main Beam / Dipped / Side / Off / Convoy. The other had an extra Position, No Lights (at all). Was it CVR(T) or Ferret where you could suppress all lights?

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Just a thought, as you've mention the black out lights, if your looking for the other end of the interior lights wiring, is it possible that it is linked into a switch on the back door so that when it is opened it turns off all interior lighting. There is something similar on my 432, but i'm sure it relies on a combination of dash switches as well.

Keep up the good work

Dougy

Hello All,

Just a thought, as you've mention the black out lights, if your looking for the other end of the interior lights wiring, is it possible that it is linked into a switch on the back door so that when it is opened it turns off all interior lighting. There is something similar on my 432, but i'm sure it relies on a combination of dash switches as well.

Keep up the good work

Dougy

ISTR Sultan worked something like that. We always had penthouses out the back though, so it was no great issue .

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Why oh why, when you leave a vehicle that ran, does it then refuse to start a few weeks later?

Couldn't blame Mike, for although he has now permanently soldered together all the temporary dash connections, the spark at the plugs was very good, which means he didn't mess up the wiring. Must be a fuel problem then.

Took the top horn off the carb, and found that the accelerator jets weren't working. Took the fuel pipe off, checked the fuel flow, all ok. Took the top off the carb, which was full of fuel as it should be. Removed and checked shut off valve. Found ok. Put the top back on the carb, try again, and it still won't start. The fan drive belt then decided to snap for good measure. Not turning out to be a good day.

Several taking-apart-and-putting back-togethers and much head scratching later, it still wouldn't start, despite removing and cleaning/checking every component I could. Decided to put the top back on the carb, and address why the rubber drive coupling was rubbing on its guard.

While re-shimming the gearbox height to solve the rubbing problem, my trouser pocket got caught on the carb, and the accelerator jets were suddenly working! Powered up, and engine then started first time. WHY DIDN"T IT DO THAT TO START WITH!?! AAAAARRRRGGHHH!

It just IS! I had an old Series one Land Rover, ex Cable feild Party. If left for more than eight hours you had to start it on the handle, first time every time. After that no problem it would start on the button. this despite servicng rebuilding starter motor and complete renewal of stter motor. Mind you she had been owned by a White Witch. there was a peculiar little leather bag tied to teh bulkhead. I was told under no circumstances remove it. The week I did, nothing but grief, breackdowns, traffic problems everywhere I went, puy it back in, everything fine again. :shake:

• 2 weeks later...
Why oh why, when you leave a vehicle that ran, does it then refuse to start a few weeks later?

<Snipped>

Because it's living up to the reputation of the Regiment who's insignia it carries - bloody minded, bolshy, awkwards and prone to do it's own thing irrespective of the "owners" wishes!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

After recent CVRT successes of Beltring (getting ours to run for a whole week and Nigels making it from Essex to Kent AND BACK!), I found some enthusiasm to pick up where i left off before Beltring.

The last encounter with this particular Spartan left it a runner, but the fan drive belt had snapped and no spare was fitted, so that was todays task. It was made all the more difficult by the fact the long-armed one is in Italy, and I cannot reach some of the bolts.

I started by removing the prop shaft and shield plate. The plate helps prevent air flow from by-passing the fan via the prop shaft cut out, and is at the bottom of the bulkhead. I had to disconnect a few bits and bobs to get to one bolt, and was at full stretch (and in a bit of spikey-bits in the arm discomfort) to get it out.

I then took the retaining plate off the fan pulley, loosened the fan and fitted the new belt, plus one spare that sits on the gearbox. Fitting a spare belt means (in theory) that when the one currently fitted breaks, the next one will go on without having to remove the prop shaft.

Still feeling keen, I managed to put the prop on again (aided by a bit of string to hold it up while i fitted the first bolt) and once again endured the discomfort of reaching for the unreachable bolt. Once assembled, I felt lucky and decided to try and fire up the engine.

After a couple of pumps on the throttle, it fired up first turn and ran very sweetly. I discovered that the ignition light does not extinguish (not charging), so i need to investigate this next before i can fit the internal bulkhead. i also need to shim the gearbox up a bit further as the fan drive belt does not sit straight.

Enthusiasm Vince! Wow I should be charging you top rates as a lifestyle GURU.

Now don’t go getting carried away as you know you could upset the fine broken/unbroken balance of the universe (that is to say if you fix this one something else is sure to malfunction).

Spiky jabby bits in the arm, always a pleasure to work on CVRT’s.