CVRT Spartan (Artists Rifles markings)

TooTallMike

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best way to do the steering is to use a pressure bleeder. You may need another reservoir cap to drill a hole through in order to use one though. We've used the Ezbleed before, I forget who makes it, but you can buy them in Halfords.

Another thing I found was that removing the drivers seat first made it easier to bleed the steering, as the seat may prevent you from getting full travel on the tiller.

Chris

God's gift to brakes the Ezibleed.

Hurrah! The beastie starts on the button! It fires first time. Very satisfying.

Spent yesterday re-shimming the gear box so that the new fan belt a) lined up and b) tensioned correctly. The CVRT system for that belt is c**p. You have to shim the gearbox up so that the pulleys are aligned, and then you slacken the fan and lift it up to tension the belt. Unfortunately you only get about 5-8mm lift on the fan, so when the pulleys are aligned correctly, you run out of lift to tension the belt properly. It ends up being a compromise between correct alignment and tension. The belt runs nice and centrally on the pulleys now, so can't be far wrong.

Then we started investigating why the charging system is not working. All indications are that the alternator is defective, but we still have some more things to check out before we can confirm this.

The engine note on this vehicle is so satisfying. Combined with the fact it starts so well, it puts a big smile on my face. Mind, it has been tuned and timed properly, and our other Spartan hasn't yet. I now have a benchmark for the other one.

Spent yesterday re-shimming the gear box so that the new fan belt a) lined up and b) tensioned correctly. The CVRT system for that belt is c**p. You have to shim the gearbox up so that the pulleys are aligned, and then you slacken the fan and lift it up to tension the belt. Unfortunately you only get about 5-8mm lift on the fan, so when the pulleys are aligned correctly, you run out of lift to tension the belt properly. It ends up being a compromise between correct alignment and tension.

Hi Vince,

In the distant past I carried out the mods on changing from Hardy Spicer drive shaft to the present Layrub coupling type on a lot of CVR(T) models. This also involved changing the engine mountings at flywheel end. I do not know if the EMER has ever been updated re. the Layrub couplings, but it is extremely important for the engine and gearbox to be aligned as these couplings do not like running out of line, similar problem to the old Scammells. I have seen these rubber couplings literally melt with a line of rubber thrown up the hull sides, if they were out of line.

There was a tool we had for checking alignment of centre of crankshaft to centre of gearbox shaft, never encountered problems with belt tensioning to my knowledge.

regards, Richard

The engine (in this one anyway) has a spacer washer fitted under each side of the rear engine mounts (on top of the horse shoe mounting) to bring it up slightly. This was third hand info by the time i got it, so i hope it's correct. Everything looks to be in alignment now, and I've observed it all while running, and it seems good. Thanks for the info Richard.

Another successful day!

After a good deal of head scratching, circuit testing and swapping the charging control box for another, the beastie still wouldn't charge. We had ruled out most things except the alternator. We did some direct comparison testing between the alternator on the vehicle, and another alternator we had in stock (Not fit for use though due to missing plug) and found all readings were the same. At this point i decided to do something a bit less taxing and fitted bulbs and lenses in the side/tail/indicator positions. Pleasingly, they all work despite my rewiring.

We removed the alternator from the vehicle (and yes it is big and heavy and awkward, and thats after you remove the big, heavy, awkward air cleaner), and upon taking the end cover off, discovered that the cover plate for the slip rings was a different colour to the rest of the alternator. Being the curious types that we are, we removed it and found the whole slip ring area covered in carbon dust from the brushes. "Hmmmmm" said my collegue, who is (was) wise in the ways of things electrical. "I think that may be the problem".

We gave the slip rings a good clean up after removing the brushes and then after re-assembly refitted the alternator (generator in military speak). Fired the engine up and the charge light extinguished immediately, the charging box relays clicked into life and we had a healthy 27/28 volt charge at the batteries. Job done.

We then refitted the air filter after a good clean out (it was full of grim things...) and filled it with fresh oil. (Did you do yours during your service Nigel?). The internal bulkhead was going to be fitted next, but a lack of bolts and incessant drizzle from the heavens made us pack up and go bolt shopping on the way home instead.

Image087.jpg

Image088.jpg

Panic over, the karmic balance has once again been restored. It's always a worry when everything starts working at once, as you can only expect a faliure. Have discovered that the side lights now don't work, and neither do the drivers repeater lights. More electrical gremlins to sort before i put the bulkhead in....(more elbow room to work with).

Another successful day!

We then refitted the air filter after a good clean out (it was full of grim things...) and filled it with fresh oil. (Did you do yours during your service Nigel?).

Oh YES I removed the family of furry things and thirty odd years of filth together with a collection of insects that the natural history museum were very envious of!

Have you checked the NBC pack? We had some large and interesting insects in there on ours!

Chris

Not been in there yet Chris. Do you recomend thick gloves and a helmet or is this a job best fobbed off on Grasshopper in case something evil lurks within?

You should be ok, anything exotic and dangerous will probably have left after the run to Beltring! You will be surprised at the handy spanner inside the cover, perfectly placed on a cord just long enough to reach all the filter bolts!

Chris

NBC Kit.jpg

• 3 months later...
Thanks Chris, I shall have to investigate this at the weekend now just to see if my spanner is still in place.

CVR-T's more fun than should be allowed!

And all mod cons:

Hot (from the BV) and cold (from the turret tank) running water;

Airconditioning (from the NBC pack - I used to get strange looks wearing respirator in the sweltering summer heat so I could plug the NBC pack into it. What sort of perv wears his respirator when it isn't needed. Mmm I love the smell of CS in the morning)

Toilet (remove the bung from the commander's seat.

Recce - the place to be. And as my new T-shirt, due imminently, proclaims, Recce do it in front of everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Re the Spartan,since Vince "enjoys" working on CVR(T)'s so much (I learnt the hard way that flesh & metal don't mix),he has been "volunteeref" to do the next one.He should enjoy it,as it's in the best state a CVR(T) can be,a stripped out hull.The more you put in a hull,the less room their is!