Advice on the price for a 353 CCKW

mash

I put a reasonable RANGE of prices on these trucks. There are 4 or 5 varying levels and a price range for each. I have not said a truck is worth £3456.95.. but in a range of £2500-£3500.

The princes auction is in no way a realistic statement on CCKW or Command car value. Filthy rich people wanting to get in good with a Royal family. Politics, not proper valuation.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I put a reasonable RANGE of prices on these trucks. There are 4 or 5 varying levels and a price range for each. I have not said a truck is worth £3456.95.. but in a range of £2500-£3500.

The princes auction is in no way a realistic statement on CCKW or Command car value. Filthy rich people wanting to get in good with a Royal family. Politics, not proper valuation.

Sorry to flat out disagree, but a 'reasonable' condition GMC with an okay canvas and say half-worn tyres in the UK is going to command a better price than £ 3,500 it just is. If you see any reasonable ones advertised for £ 3k, let me know, I'll go and buy another to sell on for a quick profit to help pay down the loan I've got on mine :D

Have any sold for that? I cannot track selling prince, only what's asked.

On milweb there are two average, cckw-salad trucks with wrong bits. On is listed at £10.750 ono. the other is 6500Euro. The former is a private sale and the latter is a dealer.

£10,750 is over $16,500 NO WAY does that sell in the US. I can say with better than average confidence that no truck in the US is selling for over $10,000 unless its got some very rare kit.

Two trucks (average, wrong bits) have been on ebay repeatedly in the last few months and none have been offered more than $9,000 which I believe to be more bidding frenzy than anything else.

I fear that people are seeing these Milweb adverts and are think they will sell at that price here in the US. With any luck they are assuming £10750 is equal to $10750 and not properly calculating the exchange rate.

This is an equivalent truck for sale in the US. Seller wants $18,000 (£11446) and got a best offer of $8,000 (£5087)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200791532041&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123#v4-41

If anyone would oblige me, please list the price you paid for your truck and the year. Then a total 'to the front door cost to cover shipping, tax etc. and lastly condition (restored, needs restoration, parts)

I find it interesting that there is a 2x -4x price differential in the UK when you folks have more trucks, in better shape and many more rare variants. One would assume that a greater supply would reduce costs. Parts are also in much better supply in Europe.

Edited by deadline

I find it interesting that there is a 2x -4x price differential in the UK when you folks have more trucks, in better shape and many more rare variants. One would assume that a greater supply would reduce costs. Parts are also in much better supply in Europe.

[/size][/font]

Deadline, I'd refer you one of my previous posts on this subject where I suggest that population density plays a part in price paid.

To put it plainly, market force dictates selling price this is a basic fact of commerce.

Here in Europe there is a big demand for MV's of all ages and nationalities.

I have to say that I fear your argument is turning into a flat earth wish :-)

Pete

Ok ...I paid £4k Deliverd to my door for a 353 Workshop truck ( within my GMC flickr page below) last year.

Running, driving ,road legal but in need of a little TLC..

I recon that I got a good deal ..the truck needs about £1-1.5K spending on her ( My labour not included )...so £5 - 5.5k

In total ..:undecided:

as has been mentioned, Asking price and selling price differ ...I'd say the truck in Question is a Good £5.5K +

on a good day £6 K +

My Jimmy Had been advertised several times at stuppid money ... needless to say without any buyers probably because it needed some work and looked rough ..

ken

A point that seems to be being overlooked here is the fact that we are a very nostalgic race, we like to reflect. There are more collectors / restorers in the UK than the rest of europe put together. We live in a relatively small island, so attending shows does not become cost prohibitive in terms of fuel (or at least did`nt before recent fuel increases) The second world war took place both here, the air war, and on our doorstep. So access to these sites is very easy and we like to take our military vehicles. (For the commemorations) Taking just these facts into account it should not be surprising that we should be prepared to pay more for our vehicles, and we do.

Overall I get the general impression that you are expecting to obtain the very best available, for the very lowest price, now we both know that in anything less than very exceptional circustances, thats very unlikely to happen......... we would all like a Rolls Royce for the price of a Ford.

I have owned my GMC 353 since the 1980s, and I can tell you that if I had not acquired it then, and desired to buy one today, provided that it was at least as good as my own I would be prepared to pay in the region of 6 to 7000 K. and that really is what matters to me. In the case of British ownership we have to take "The pleasure derived and enjoyed with other like minded owners" into the equation

Regarding the US v UK price differential, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Beltring (W&P Show) effect, it seems to me that this, along with the fact most people have a local (1 hr drive away) show often affects UK buyers judgment in a way that just doesn't happen in the US with it's vast distances.

To my mind this is a totally pointless argument that is going round in circles. Deadline ,you are entitled to your opinions but as far as UK and Europe is concerned they are irrelevant. I have yet to see the perfect 'original' GMC and I don't expect to ever see one, cloud cuckoo land, they've all gone through rebuilds at some point(s) in their lives and been altered to suit the particular nations requirements, a lot of us see this as part of their history and are happy to accept them for what they are. You may aspire to a perfect truck but it could never be original, it would have to be a bitsa. As so many have said before any vehicle is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it. I haven't examined the truck in question but if it is as tidy as it would appear to be from the photo drives and stops properly then if I was buying it would expect to have to pay in the region of at least £7,500. Prices have risen dramatically in the last 4 to 5 years and are still rising, whether the bubble will burst remains to be seen.

Since I posted this reply I have realised that I have seen several 'original' trucks, but that was in 1944 and 1945 and as I was only a youngster I didn't realise the significance of what I was seeing but that's when my love affair with military vehicles began.

Edited by Degsy
Added comment

I have been reading this tread with interest, and I think that wheather a truck is advertised for £3000 or £9000, if the buyer really wants it then he or her will buy it. A GMC that I restored recently sold for just over £8000 and I think it was worth every penny. I suppose its all down to what you think something is worth to you, and what you can afford to spend. Thats my pennys worth. Howard.

Its nothing but conversation. I'm not trying to change minds.. just talking about CCKWs.

I don't think think that the UK has any more or less interest in MVs than the US. We have some some mighty fine collections in private hands (the Littlefield collection comes to mind). But due to US laws repatriating US 'implements of war' is much more of a hassle than in the UK/EU.

But from what i can tell, the asking prices of trucks in the US and UK is closer than would appear (when the currency conversion is done) and I don't see the amateur/garage restored trucks going for the $10,000+ USD/£8000+ prices listed.

As mentioned the only readily available place where selling price can be readily determined (ebay) is not bearing the high prices continually asked for amateur restored trucks. And I would make the statement that the ebay bidding prices are skewed towards the high end due to the auction 'I want to win' mentality that can take over bidders.

I would be interesting if a poll was done to gather data on the number of MV collectors, number of MVs owned and status of each MV. My best guess is that there are less than 1,000 CCKWs in roadworthy (licensed, on the road, inspected, insured, etc) and maybe another 1,000-2,000 in 'parts' worthy condition.

they go for what ever people are prepared to pay.

Another variation on this I came across today:

"And remember – it isn’t only about what you are willing to pay; it’s also about what the seller is willing to take."

:coffee:

Another variation on this I came across today:

"And remember – it isn’t only about what you are willing to pay; it’s also about what the seller is willing to take."

:coffee:

Indeed Hanno, sucking the teeth and looking at the ground is all part of striking the deal :)

regards

pete

• 4 weeks later...
whats this one worth,,.sticky brakes,.rusty lower doors,.very rusty inner windsheild frames,needs canvas, tyres have major age cracks on all of them,.has ratty ben hur as well.,,.been stood for many many years,.but does run.

A few questions/points to check:

1. What are the brake hoses and brake pipes like ?

2. What about the exhaust ?

3. Does the exhaust blow from the manifold at all ?

4. What's the floor of the cab like ?

5. Is there any play in the steering ?

6. What's the oil pressure when cold and then hot ?

7. How old is the battery ? What condition is it in ?

Regards

Vulture

Check the cab interior closely.... I see an extra wiper arm.. that means they may have cut up the headliner. They are a pain to find in metal. I have found places that sell the headliners in fiberglass... so that means lots of finish work.

Don't give to much value to a motor 'that runs'. Its probably worn out and ready for an overhaul.

Sheet metal isn't expensive. Tires, canvas, brake work, wiring harnesses, and small cab items are the expensive bits.

A few questions/points to check:

1. What are the brake hoses and brake pipes like ?

2. What about the exhaust ?

3. Does the exhaust blow from the manifold at all ?

4. What's the floor of the cab like ?

5. Is there any play in the steering ?

6. What's the oil pressure when cold and then hot ?

7. How old is the battery ? What condition is it in ?

Regards

Vulture

,.the steering seems ok,.floor is ok,.from what i can see,.good oil pressure when hot.exhaust blows, battery dead,.had to jump it to get it running.,

Edited by cripesamighty3rd

Check the cab interior closely.... I see an extra wiper arm.. that means they may have cut up the headliner. They are a pain to find in metal. I have found places that sell the headliners in fiberglass... so that means lots of finish work.

Don't give to much value to a motor 'that runs'. Its probably worn out and ready for an overhaul.

Sheet metal isn't expensive. Tires, canvas, brake work, wiring harnesses, and small cab items are the expensive bits.

the inside of the cab along side the screen is fairly bad,,,im thinking its worth 3---3.5k

whats this one worth,,.sticky brakes,.rusty lower doors,.very rusty inner windsheild frames,needs canvas, tyres have major age cracks on all of them,.has ratty ben hur as well.,,.been stood for many many years,.but does run.

last time i stick my nose in this thread its worth exactly what you pay if you want it (and seller accepts)else its worth intrisic scrap value. To put it in basic down to earth terms (f *** all )nothing till its paid for. Question you have to ask is what is worth to you forget how much everyone else MIGHT pay they are not buying. There used to be a saying if you have to ask the price "you cant afford it" hows about if you have to ask the price "you dont really want or need it" Looking at it from the sellers side its worth what you accept not what observers say they MIGHT pay they arnt buying.

Edited by cosrec

The truck is not even worth scrap... as you have the expense of hauling it somewhere, getting rid of the bits that the scrapper won't take (or will charge you for like tires).

Knowing the general value of a truck is paramount as anyone can offer to much... I'm sure the gent selling that truck would gladly take £7500 for it. That's not the point, is it?

Say for example in a year you abondon the project. If you pay £5000 for a truck you need to sell it for that same amount or suffer a loss. So if you have a good idea of the value, and can make a case for it (mention the going rate to repair/replace the broken parts) then you know that you are not low balling and offering a fair price.

In negotiations if you come off with an obscenely low opening bid then the seller will just become irritated and not be open to dealing. Offer a little under a FAIR price and you have room to bargain. And that's the real goal... have facts to justify your offer, cost to repair etc etc etc.

If the seller is reasonable and you are a bit lucky you will get a good deal.

If you just want to throw money in the air and let the seller pick whatever they want then fine... but now you are starting a restoration with less money because you failed to pay the VALUE of the truck.

I honestly though my European friends would understand this more than they do.... I've always understood that negotiating a price is an expected part of a deal.