Advice on the price for a 353 CCKW

mash

To give you some idea of costs,to dispose of the tyres correctly they will cost £7.50 each to have collected, I know this as I had 40 collected the other day, so before you start thats a cost of £75 plus vat, well thats if you dispose of them, chances are its a rebuild from the chassis up. Are you going to do the work your self or have it restored, you need to take all of this into account.But if you do decide to take her on enjoy and have fun theres alot of satisfaction in rebuilding your own vehicle. Regards Howard.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I honestly though my European friends would understand this more than they do.... I've always understood that negotiating a price is an expected part of a deal.

You present a very sound arguement, I find myself agreeing with most of what you have to say, We do however seem to be somewhat blinded my nostalgia in this part of the world, maybe thats not such a bad thing or most of this stuff would have now been consigned to the scrap heap......... and somehow I cannot get excited about new shiney pots and pans.

Long may we continue to overpay (Just a little anyhow.)

ive bought it,,.now the long road ahead to get her on the road,.

I do hope you didn't underpay for it - we do have our British eccentricities to maintain :D

If I can offer just one piece of advice - now forget all about what you paid for it, you're committed now :-)

Oh, and may the long road ahead be blessed with plenty of laybys :whistle:

I do hope you didn't underpay for it - we do have our British eccentricities to maintain :D

If I can offer just one piece of advice - now forget all about what you paid for it, you're committed now :-)

Oh, and may the long road ahead be blessed with plenty of laybys :whistle:

blimey dont mention laybys.,negative waves man!!,!!i dont intend on going far with it untill im sure its reliable,.,.although it does run sweet,,no smoke,,no rattles even after its been laid up for well over two years.,,.im not going to do a complete resto as some have done on here,.,.but it will get bead blasted over most of it & the underside.,,.just realy to remove the many layers of paint.,.,bar grips are a dead cert.,but 750 or 900/20.,i love them on the bigger rubber as in the attached pic but the price! ouch!..can i ask what material should the seat cover be made from.,.,.after a recent build of my MB plus a real strong 55 chevy that i play with i realy dont want to go potty with this ol girl,..,anyway once in my barn i can then make a plan of action,..,

Good thing about it as well its came with the ben hurr which im not sure im going to keep & some steel loading ramps to get the jeep up into the back,,...Anyone know the law on having one in the back of a deuce?? although ive a class one & tanker driver for many years im fine with ,.lets say handling somthing of this size,,but law wise im unsure,.,.any veiws?

Daniel_Lautenschlager_01.jpg

Edited by cripesamighty3rd

In the past many WW2 trucks in the UK were "declared built in 1939" to avoid taxes or some such.

Bit late with a response to this, it was to avoid plating and testing. When the cut off date was moved from 1940 to 1960, it was no longer an issue. Of course, DVLA no longer accept the owners date information, it requires a letter from an approved source.

Bit late with a response to this, it was to avoid plating and testing. When the cut off date was moved from 1940 to 1960, it was no longer an issue. Of course, DVLA no longer accept the owners date information, it requires a letter from an approved source.

Thanks for the update.

It always amazed me owners could declare the build year themselves.

Edited by mcspool

I don't own a closed cab CCKW but there was discussion that the proper material for early trucks was brown Naugahyde.

Not sure if this was ACKWs or the very early 1574 cab trucks.

As for larger tires as long are you realize that the tires will rub the frame on tight turns there is no real reason not to use them.

Personally I hate NDTs.. they are horrible in rain and snow, you literally use less than 30% of the tire width and they wear much faster than 'civvy tires'. Other than 'the look' there is no real reason to use them.

LOTS of CCKWs in photos are on full tread civvy tires. Get a 7.5x20 with an agressive mud/snow pattern and the truck looks just as nice (no knobbies!)

Edited by deadline

LOTS of CCKWs in photos are on full tread civvy tires. Get a 7.5x20 with an agressive mud/snow pattern and the truck looks just as nice (no knobbies!)

I know that its a personal thing................. but military trucks only look good with bar treads, now from a practical point of view, bar treads are rubbish on wet / icey roads, or snow........... so leave them in the shed when the weather`s that bad.

I believe there was a wartime edict that unless a truck was assigned to a tactical unit NDTs were not the first issue for spares.

In the US replacement tires were at the best retreads and commonly seconds off the manufacturer line.

NTDs are a superb in mud. I was out today in my jeep and went somewhere that dead ended halfway down the side of a mountain (it was a power line access trail).

Reduced air pressure to about 15 PSI, put the GPW in 4x4 low and climbed out easy peasy. The only other tracks were the impressions in the mud left by some sort of tracked vehicle. No way any other tire would have gotten me out.

blimey dont mention laybys.,negative waves man!!,!!i dont intend on going far with it untill im sure its reliable,.,.although it does run sweet,,no smoke,,no rattles even after its been laid up for well over two years.,,.im not going to do a complete resto as some have done on here,.,.but it will get bead blasted over most of it & the underside.,,.just realy to remove the many layers of paint.,.,bar grips are a dead cert.,but 750 or 900/20.,i love them on the bigger rubber as in the attached pic but the price! ouch!..can i ask what material should the seat cover be made from.,.,.after a recent build of my MB plus a real strong 55 chevy that i play with i realy dont want to go potty with this ol girl,..,anyway once in my barn i can then make a plan of action,..,

Good thing about it as well its came with the ben hurr which im not sure im going to keep & some steel loading ramps to get the jeep up into the back,,...Anyone know the law on having one in the back of a deuce?? although ive a class one & tanker driver for many years im fine with ,.lets say handling somthing of this size,,but law wise im unsure,.,.any veiws?

The CCKW 353 cargo trucks left the factory on 750x20 bar Tread tyres, so if your intention is to restore the truck back to its original wartime condition (and you seem to be keen to do this judging by your eye for detail on the cab seat cover material), why look at anything other than authenticity, especially if the cost of larger tyres is more expense!

As far as carrying your Jeep around in the back of your deuce goes, I'm pretty confidant that you will be in breech of your historic military vehicle insurance policy (if that is how you have chosen to insure the vehicle). All very well of course until something goes wrong and its only then when the flak really starts flying. I think Degsy is on the money here as our historic vehicles are clearly suppose to be driven to shows and rallies unladen, although of course many of us do otherwise. I used to haul a Willys MB around in the back of my first CCKW 353 back in 1993, but I don't think I'd feel particularly comfortable doing it today.

Would be interested in seeing a picture of your new GMC. It wasn't the GMC 353 Hard Cab that Andy Ibbotson had for sale by any chance, because if so, I recently sold him a tidy bonnet for that truck which came off of my old girl many moons ago.

Edited by M5Clive

In the US a 9x20 is less than $100 for a used tire with 80%+ tread left. I was paying about $80 at the MV shows.

'Authentic'.. I hate that word. Authenticity can be little more than a snapshot in time.

Its COMPLETELY AUTHENTIC to put civy tires on a CCKW. As I noted NDTs were strictly rationed to 'most needed' units. Line haul trucks would get whatever was round, held air, and fit the rim.

The market for 7.5x20's is very small. I know of only ONE manufacturer... Specialty Tires of America

http://www.stausaonline.com/

Everyone else is a reseller due to the DOT licensing to make tires in the US.

Is you want 'the look' (or factory correct) you need NDTs. But it is AUTHENTIC to run anything. There are some very nice civy tires with aggressive treads that look good. But at over $2500 to re-shoe a truck for tires that will last less than 5-7000 miles (due to the steer tires wearing out quickly) having a 'close second' is a wise choice.

"Authentic'.. I hate that word. Authenticity can be little more than a snapshot in time."

You might hate the word authentic - I don't. So is a contemporary photograph (A snapshot in time as you put it) not really an adequate source to form the basis of something authentic in your estimation? All of the WWII aircraft that have been restored since the war and painted accordingly as a direct result of period photographs taken at the time - Are you suggesting that they can no longer be classed as authentic because they simply represent a snapshot in time?

I have used marking upon some of my CCKW's based soley upon one photograph taken at Ramsbury Airfield in Wiltshire in 1945 showing a CCKW 353 that is loading a C-47 prior to Operation Varsity. I have never seen these markings replicated before or since, but that one 'snapshot in time' taken by a 437th Troop Carrier Group navigator is as good as you'll probably ever get of an everyday GMC 6x6 workhorse in use with the USAAF in England in the war. Authentic ?

The point I was making was not in specific reference to the non-use of civvy tyres as I know a number of Military vehicles used these tyres patterns, (especially some bomb and fuel tanker trailers on USAAF bases), but with regard to the larger sized tyres being placed upon a restored wartime truck. As i'm sure you will no doubt pick me up on, somewhere in time and possibly in view of a Signal Corps cameraman, a wartime CCKW probably paraded around in oversized tyres, but from MY point of view (and nobody else's), I think a CCKW looks at its best when fitted with the right sized boots which was TYPICAL for that truck during the war years. Of course you can never say never, but what I am referring to was typical rather than unheard of.

We have all seen photographs of trucks in European post war use displays a wide variety of different pattern treads and sizes, and no doubt this also happen in military service, but I am not claiming that this is totally unauthentic, but not especially commonplace.

Lets face it, if someone undertaking a restoration is bothered enough to get the material of the seats correct (which cannot even be seen from the outside), something so visible as the tyres the truck is sitting upon would also be best to be correct, if the finances eventually permit and the owner is striving to representing that truck as a wartime vehicle and his 'snapshot in time' is wartime England.

Of course I am assuming (rightly or wrongly) that the owner wants to restore it to represent a CCKW based on an English base during WWII, maybe in relative proximity to the region of the country where he lives. That being so, I can't recall seeing any photographs showing such vehicles with oversized tyres stationed over here in the war, but I would certainly be interested if anyone has.

Below are just a handful of wartime images I have of CCKW's in use in Military Service around the world. Try as I might, I couldn't find any showing oversized tyres, other than a few shots of my own GMC 353 wearing oversized boots, and then again with its correct 750x20 bar treads.

getimageexe.jpg

424203313_0d4c32fa07.jpg

390368994_996ab38142.jpg

GMCFuelTruck.jpg

gmctrack3.jpg

DSC_0037copy-1.jpg

securedownload.jpg

DSC_0662-1.jpg

P1090448.jpg

Authentic Child's Car Seat !

Edited by M5Clive
Adding photos

.. That being so, I can't recall seeing any photographs showing such vehicles with oversized tyres stationed over here in the war, but I would certainly be interested if anyone has.

Yes Clive - you know, :sweat:that photo of a 100thBG Autocar U-7144T with F1-A tanker, both on 11.00 x 20 tyres :sweat:I distinctly recall you showing it to me :sweat: Don't you remember? :sweat: :embarrassed:

"For that more authentic wartime look, always use NDTs!"