Saving plots

commander

What rearly gets up my goat is seeing sections fenced off for people to come and display

and for them to come for the last couple of days with a few exhibits on a pitch twice the

size of what they needed ok rant over

Commander

Totally agree!

We've been going to Beltring every year since our first visit in 2000.

We arrive the sunday before the show only to see some plots occupied and sometimes nobody arrives till the weekend or not at all!

Very frustrating after 300KM to get to Dunkirk, 2 hours on the ferry and another 80 KM to Beltring.

Our group is going again this year and atleast on the reenactor area they made a layout now. So every group has his/her plot and if you have anything left it will go to a smaller group.

Which is a big improvement over last few years "well is this spot ok for you guys?, I'm sorry the rest is allready taken".

You can tell the time of the year on HMVF just by the posts! The "my vehicle wont start" in the spring, "what im doing in the snow with my MV" for winter, "how do you keep your batteries" for the autumn and this thread for pre Beltring show season!

R

Edited by robin craig

i am going down public camping this year :( kinda had abit of rough part of this year and cant afford to take my landy and it sucks but i will have plenty of plots to choose from lol its my 15th year this year lol

Me to.

We had a guy camped next to us 1 year, he had a pitch the size of a football field, he kept telling us "my friends are comming down tommorow". No one else turned up!!!

I really hate those people.

puke02.gif

Anyone recall the contingent that were pitched up beside the plot the group I was with were on last year - and who used the side of the OT as a urinal??

And who weren't observed to be laughing at all the day she was started after a heavy shower in the night.... That exhaust throws out the collected water a fair way - loaded with soot.... :whistle:

How about if you're going to stake-out/reserve a spot, put a placard stating expected arrivale date/time , then 24 hrs after arrivale date/time plot given to someone else. Perhaps the W&P field marshals should do something like this or run a reservation list?

Lee kindly saved our group a space last year. There was a large section behind us between us and the Excalliber lot. The group that reserved the space reserved TWO plots. One in our field and one near to Withams. Two vehicles turned up, stayed a while then dissapeared up to the plot they had at the top. It stayed empty until about the Friday or saturday of the show when a few vehicles not belonging to the group went into some of the space. There was still a massive amount of empty space though.

Personally I don't think anyone should be able to reserve space. Turn up and pick your area is how it should be. Take to much and the field Marshals should take the spare space and give it to someone else.

• 3 weeks later...

As a former re-enactor at the show, I know only too well the gutted feeling following preparation, financial outlay and time – only to be relegated to Medway field upon arrival – with little prospect of any viewers of my display ! Happened to me 3 times before I called it a day.

Despite this however, I fully appreciate the issues of running such a large show and the policing of pre-booking.

As I see it:

· Some folks can take more time-off than others for their hobby

· some live closer to the show than others and can therefore nip over to `stake their claim` the week before.

These are not `unfair advantages`, just realities of life.

To be super-fair, we could in theory adopt a refundable deposit policy for pitches - proceeds going to charity where there were no-shows or, requirements had been grossly over-estimated. Needless to say, the practicalities of policing such a system would be `challenging` at best.

It is my understanding that the current system is first-come, first-serve – with a twist – i.e. if you come early enough to place a plaquard and some cord, you can claim your slot. I also understand that these `claims` are largely respected (well, sort-of).

As much as this system has done me no favours over the years, on a practical level, I concede it works. My only suggestion is that if someone does not fill a slot on the first day of the event (Wednesday I think ?), then it should automatically be forfeited. Similarly, If a group only partially materialises, then , stragglers should be treated the same as everyone else – i.e. first-come, first serve and, the plot size reduced by the marshalls accordingly if someone is available to occupy the space.

The best we can hope for I suppose is to have a level playing field with, first-come being equally applied to all.

Any other thoughts ??

Cheers

Steve 82

Edited by Steve 82

We turned up on the Wednesday and even though they had a plan for the living history field and that we submited our plans and requirements Guess what??

Yup no one had catered for us. "Oh will this plot do? There is another larger plot but they want to get another Humvee in there but it may come available but I want to leave it empty just in case."

Ended up in a 25 foot wide by 40 feet deep plot whilst the 50 foot by 30 feet plot stayed empty for......Yes you guessed it...The whole show. 2x 9x9, 2x 7x9, 1x 12x12 and a mess trailer later does not leave you much room we had a 2 foot clear pathway up the middle whilst the Humvee lads who did not actualy have a humvee after that day had a 100 x 30 foot pitch for a shack and a oil drum. Oposite in a 50 foot plot was a jeep and a tent who only displayed on the saturday the rest of the time it was covered up. A Airsoft group got a double pitch. Several Vehicle orientated groups especially the LRDG got pride of place. and the Germans were given 1/2 the field.

Saw 2 ww2 Desert Brit units and no others. The rest with exception of the Afghan Soviets were a mix of vehicles and tents with no display. Some even had manaquins and large empty spots where the vehicles should be.

The WW1 group was excelent and should have had a better prominant spot.

But as usual poor organisation let the event down.

The Beer tent actualy shut down at a resonable time

Mod Edit: comment removed, we will not allow flaming of fellow forum members, PM if you have a problem with this.

Jon

Post and Pre Beltring Blues

Edited by Marmite!!
Flaming forum members.

My only suggestion is that if someone does not fill a slot on the first day of the event (Wednesday I think ?), then it should automatically be forfeited. Similarly, If a group only partially materialises, then , stragglers should be treated the same as everyone else – i.e. first-come, first serve and, the plot size reduced by the marshalls accordingly if someone is available to occupy the space.

Cheers

Steve 82

I totally agree!

Lucky enough, when we arrived Sunday before the show Ashley was there who claimed a plot. Thanks, Ashley!!!

A Marshall did come by twice to ask if more people/vehicles would arrive later in our plot, so they did try.

Maybe due to the obvious increase in the number of re-enactors their field should be increased into part of Monktons and everyone else move up a little to make their life easier as they do have some rather elaborate sets to build up ! Just a suggestion ( I'm not a re-enactor) :saluting:

Maybe due to the obvious increase in the number of re-enactors their field should be increased into part of Monktons and everyone else move up a little to make their life easier as they do have some rather elaborate sets to build up ! Just a suggestion ( I'm not a re-enactor) :saluting:

The Worlds Largest Military Vehicle Show title of the show says it all.. make way for more vehicles, don't push them out.. don't foget there was at least one large motorhome in the Living History area.. Mv's owners are not the only ones.