A funny. Born 1930 - 1979

ferrettkitt

Sent to me by Andrew Douglas I thinks its from states but its still relevant

Those of You Born

1930 - 1979

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

First, we survived being born to motherswho smoked and/or drank while they were Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright coloured lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,

Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode

Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,

We would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day

Was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. WHY?

Because we were

Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,

As long as we were back when the

Streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out

We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.

There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones,no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.WE HAD FRIENDS! , And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just

walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

If YOU are one of them?

CONGRATULATIONS!You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the

lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives

for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will knowhow brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

Just watched BBC nature programme and the presenter is in the countryside wearing Hi-Viz jerkin and a hard hat ! Watched a programme about narrow boats the other day and the two presenters had hard hats whilst crewing a narrow boat ! I now consider myself very lucky to have reached the rip old age of 45 without being killed by the sky falling on my head ! :D 1966 was a good year for several reasons ! :D:D

As my old mum says "if I had watched what you were doing I would have had to stop you, so I turned away"

The dumper left at the top of the hill in the road works that we all piled into and rode to the bottom of the hill!

Two of us on roller skates with a sheet stretched between us as a sail, tacking our way along the road!

The front trolley with 4 wheels, you could join the train if you had a pair of wheels, a plank and a pivot bolt.....I think 7 trailors was the max...... the whiplash was horendous on the bend at the bottom of the hill

:cool2:

I survived as did all my mates that spent the rest of our spare time building camps in the woods.

Edited by rog8811

seen this so many times but its sooooo true as well

I recently went on a course about play in the early years and the first thing we were asked was what was our happiest play time memory from being a child. Every single person in the room replied with a memory about outside play like climbing trees, riding bikes through streams, rolling down huge grassy banks, playing out till it got dark etc etc etc. Nowadays we are so tight with our children, even I dont let mine out of our garden here on Hayling Island. Why?

Totally agree and not to forget.

On hot summer days you had to wear shorts and sit on vinyl car seats.

I believe that a lot of camps and go-carts were constructed from ex-boxes.

The TV channels we had also went off at night..

If you had a rash it was only because you were allergic to gravel.

Mike

Just watched BBC nature programme and the presenter is in the countryside wearing Hi-Viz jerkin and a hard hat ! Watched a programme about narrow boats the other day and the two presenters had hard hats whilst crewing a narrow boat ! I now consider myself very lucky to have reached the rip old age of 45 without being killed by the sky falling on my head ! :D 1966 was a good year for several reasons ! :D:D

H & S gone mad mate. My neighbour trims his hedge wearing a hard hat but the hedge is only chest high. I still haven't figured that one out :nut:

Sent to me by Andrew Douglas I thinks its from states but its still relevant

Those of You Born

1930 - 1979

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

First, we survived being born to motherswho smoked and/or drank while they were Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright coloured lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,

Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode

Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,

We would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day

Was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. WHY?

Because we were

Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,

As long as we were back when the

Streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out

We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.

There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones,no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.WE HAD FRIENDS! , And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just

walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

If YOU are one of them?

CONGRATULATIONS!You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the

lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives

for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will knowhow brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

Can I borrow this and put it on facebook please, I remember those days well.

Can I borrow this and put it on facebook please, I remember those days well.

Go ahead I think its an email thats been passed around quite a bit.

We used go out in the morning with a packet of crisps if we were lucky and disappear till we were hungry again.... We ate the crisps just as soon as we were out of sight of the front door. Once we had bikes we went for miles to places where no adults were so we could have fun without some old grump going oy you can't do that. Shining up lamp posts to the top and hanging off the top bar, eating sugar butties (think cake mix), swimming the river Mersey, climbing trees, climbing on roofs of the buildings in the shopping centre on Sunday.

No shopping on Sunday imagine not being able to shop on Sunday! Playing in empty multi story car parks without fear of being run over by one of our teenage peers. Going down the spiral car ramp on a bike with no brakes and hoping for a happy ending at the bottom.

Playing in empty multi story car parks without fear of being run over by one of our teenage peers. Going down the spiral car ramp on a bike with no brakes and hoping for a happy ending at the bottom.

One of my favourite passtimes on a sunday was haring round the local multi-storey with my mates... God, the things you forget...

I really hope I'm not too draconian with my boy as he grows older - although I think my dad would have had a fit if he'd known half of what I got up to!

Glen.

I remeber going home with my first hangover, my Mum gave me absolute living hell for the rest of the day. Thirty odd years later she suddenly came out with, 'Do you remember when youy came home with a hangover?'. Yes, the meory is still very fresh. She then said @Inever felt more sorry for you, but I was dammed if I'd tell you'. One of our favourite pastimes was ride a pony flat out towards a rope hanging from a tree branch. Grab the rope and let the pony go. We also used to moor up the sailing dinghys up three hundred odd yards out and swim back (Take a wrong turn and the next stop was the East coast of the USA). Somebody once said to me, you had a priviliged childhood. In that I was allowed to play and think for myself, yes I suppose I did. Health and saftey was an adult explaing to you what not to do and why. If you then did it got hurt, well you had been told! Mum was woried if I didn't come in dirty, bruised, wet and tired. My biggest health and saftey lesson was learnt when I turned round on George Arnold holding a loaded air pistol. My backside was sore, it was a week before anything was mentioned to Mum, I was to embarrased, her reaction was to ask why Gerorge hadn't kicked me harder! Talk about child abuse! :D

Edited by Tony B

I can remember when there was a building site down the end of our road when I was young, me and a group used to play around in it. The houses didnt have all the sides built just the floors and we would climb up and jump out of the first floor! :shocked::shocked: one of my friends landed on a pipe :embarrassed: luckily he was ok but had a good scar.

I remember paddling through ponds in the cow field and the bottom of the pond was all squidgy and soft :nono:

@ Tony, I remember my first hangover!!! It was new years eve and my Aunt and her children were over, my mum let us have a babycham each, well the other children didnt like it so I did the honourable thing and necked them all!!!! (3 maybe 4 in all) I was only 11 at the time!!!!!! I was rough as **** the next day, I can recall my dad saying something like "welcome to adulthood"

Edited by rosie

My Dad used to do Home Brew beer me and my brother tested it for him along with my Mums home made wine which we replaced with water when we had drank half the bottle. Nectar to the gods that batch of wine. We came unstuck one evening when we were drinking my dads home brew from the bottles we got that sloshed that we were dropping the empties on the lino floor (kids weren't worthy of carpet). Are mum came came up realised we were sloshed and gave us each a good wallop with her slipper.... It didn't hurt though we were that sloshed that we couldn't feel anything, even the wooden soled slipper didn't work either. Happy days

Right back at ya Tony!

When we go camping, my boys often go all weekend without washing their hands!!! :wow:

Jack (eldest) was riding his bike round the garden this evening, he pulled hard on his front brake and flew over the top of the handle bars!!!!! George (youngest) came running in to tell us, by the time I had turned the sausages over and looked out my bedroom window Jack was up and walking about (holding his 'bits and bobs') but unhurt. When rcubed went to check, it was found that when the bike fell the front brake handle came off so he wont be pulling it anymore!!!!!!

Right back at ya Tony!

When we go camping, my boys often go all weekend without washing their hands!!! :wow:

Jack (eldest) was riding his bike round the garden this evening, he pulled hard on his front brake and flew over the top of the handle bars!!!!! George (youngest) came running in to tell us, by the time I had turned the sausages over and looked out my bedroom window Jack was up and walking about (holding his 'bits and bobs') but unhurt. When rcubed went to check, it was found that when the bike fell the front brake handle came off so he wont be pulling it anymore!!!!!!

If he has fallen on his "bits and bobs" he wont want to pull it anymore!! .........:shocked:(or have i read this wrong ?:blush:)

How did we survive? Full cream milk forced down us at school. Night games with St John's Ambulance, eating sandwiches after mucking out, and not washing hands! Cor, we were tough in dem days!:-D

Wasthat pasturised or unpasturised?

You could not beat a nice mug of warm fresh milk in the morning.

Note it was only warm because it was so fresh.

Mike

If he has fallen on his "bits and bobs" he wont want to pull it anymore!! .........:shocked:(or have i read this wrong ?:blush:)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh that is too funny

Just heard on the radio a report has been done saying that if children see their parents drunk then they are more than likely to get drunk themselves and not only that but if they are left in a group with their friends unattended, as in no adults, then again they are more than likely to drink alcohol and watch older rated films. OMG!!!!!!!!!:wow::wow:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh that is too funny

Just heard on the radio a report has been done saying that if children see their parents drunk then they are more than likely to get drunk themselves and not only that but if they are left in a group with their friends unattended, as in no adults, then again they are more than likely to drink alcohol and watch older rated films. OMG!!!!!!!!!:wow::wow:

WoW! See what modern research can find out! :wow: Pity they have banned bike sheds. :cool2: Mind you I'd probably end up on some list now. :whistle:

Wonder how much taxpayers money they spent to find that out??

Incidently, I dont recall ever seeing my parents drunk. Mother would have a small sherry and me Dad would have half a light ale if they were "having a drink". So the only answer was to find out for yourself. Fortunately the local off licence wasn't too good at age limits :D:D:D

I allow my 2 to have a little drink if they want, Jack has been known to have 1 shandy of an evening, in fact the other evening (I think it was the summer cos there was a shiny thing in the sky!) he came in from playing in the garden all day and announced 'I think I fancy a shandy'!!!!! I think if you don't treat alcohol as a bad thing and allow children to taste it responsibly and teach them to respect it then hopefully they will grow up being (fairly) sensible themselves about it. Yes I like a drink but I also know when enough is enough and I will stop, haven't been ill on alcohol for years, yes I have fallen in a hedge or two and told everyone I love them!!!!!!!!!:nut::nut::nut::nut: