scammell constructor 30ton tractor for semi trailer.

hi everone, i am looking for any information/pictures in service of my truck no 83 bl 06. which served with 51st royal engineers airfields, carrying plant used for building airstrips. here and in libya around the late 60s.was then completely rebuilt and stored, then caste in the 80s, then passed to manchester airport and then the gryphin trust. ive owned the truck for 11years now and would like to find out how it looked in service. any help would be gratefully recieved,

Hi Mark, do you mean this unit?

http://www.51fdsqnre.com/index.htm

There is quite a good little museum at Waterbeach Barracks with a reasonable photo archive, but your best bet would be the contact on the link I've posted, Ron Snook. He is most helpful and knowledgeable - well worth making contact with him. He has many links with ex airfield service folk and with luck he might even be able to put you in touch with one of the old drivers.

Bit of a long shot, but you could try the RE Museum. 51 Squadron RE claim to be a very sociable bunch, they held an old boys reunion in Chatham only last week. The museum may be able to give you a contact number for the old gang who may remember your motor, have photos etc.

51 Squadron still exist, they are an airbourne unit now and about to finish a tour in a hot sandy place. You might get a bit of info from them

yes this is the type of truck, mine is missing lockers behind cab and 5th wheel. these were removed when in use at manchester airport. the lockers and winch were replaced with a concrete balast block, the 5th wheel was relaced by a homebuilt crane. thanks for your responce.

• 2 years later...

Hi Wally, I think that must have been a prototype or trials vehicle, the production run had fixed front arches, large rear mudguards and a large equipment locker behind the cab. Most if not all the production trailers had three non folding ramps in place of the two ramp one shown.

See here for another view of the 30 ton Scammell that came to grief on a weak bridge: http://www.creopcrown.co.uk/Units/Others/RCT/rct.html

• 2 months later...
hi everone, i am looking for any information/pictures in service of my truck no 83 bl 06. which served with 51st royal engineers airfields, carrying plant used for building airstrips. here and in libya around the late 60s.was then completely rebuilt and stored, then caste in the 80s, then passed to manchester airport and then the gryphin trust. ive owned the truck for 11years now and would like to find out how it looked in service. any help would be gratefully recieved,

Hi.

I was based in Waterbeach with 63 ( Airfield ) Construction. Sqn. R.E. We had 2 x 30 ton Ex R.A.F. Scammells.

I sure that I have photograph of your Scammell. 51 Squadron was also based there, as was 53 Squadron.

There was a person in Ireland asking what was on the doors of the ex R.A.F. Scammells. They are crossed Arab Khanjar knives, just like you see in the movies. 63 Sqn was the Gulf Support Squadron,

I was also driver on Scammells in Germany. 83 BL 13 and 83 BL 18.

I can be contacted by e-mail seanmccargo42@gmail.com

Regards

Sean Mc Cargo

Hi Wally, I think that must have been a prototype or trials vehicle, the production run had fixed front arches, large rear mudguards and a large equipment locker behind the cab. Most if not all the production trailers had three non folding ramps in place of the two ramp one shown.

See here for another view of the 30 ton Scammell that came to grief on a weak bridge: http://www.creopcrown.co.uk/Units/Others/RCT/rct.html

The Scammell was driven by drivers from the Royal Engineers .

SORRY do not have any of your truck but I might have some of the FV vehicle lay out drawings

REGARDS WALLY

hi, thanks for reply, i would be very happy if you could help me. saw a picture of my truck in classic military vehicles last year, but was too small to make out.

Hi Mark, do you mean this unit?

http://www.51fdsqnre.com/index.htm

There is quite a good little museum at Waterbeach Barracks with a reasonable photo archive, but your best bet would be the contact on the link I've posted, Ron Snook. He is most helpful and knowledgeable - well worth making contact with him. He has many links with ex airfield service folk and with luck he might even be able to put you in touch with one of the old drivers.

I used to drive both types of Scammells ( Army and ex RAF) at Waterbeach.

Maybe I can help you.

Regards Sean

e-mail seanmccargo42@gmail.com

Nice in service photo of a 30 ton Constructor with what looks like a pair of 20 ton behind: Scammell

Hi Mike, the second one on which the cab is completely out of sight is a 5th wheel tractor as it can be seen that it is pulling a semi-trailer, however it does not seem to be as big as the leading 30 tonner.

Sorry John but I agree with Mike - the second trailer definitely looks like the shorter 20T (DYSON?) drawbar trailer with dolly, so it would be a 20 ton ballast tractor.

Tony

p.s. great picture by the way, and Sean Mc C - if you have any pictures of your service rigs they'd be most welcome on here :thumbsup: (just saved you a post, Andy :D).