uniform display

chevpol

Sorry mate, but the first thing that came to mind was. Special Forces Dinner photo. :-D

I'll remeber to take my pills honest!

that isnt what I thought when I posted the photo!!!! Something along the lines of "take us to your leader!!!!

Mark

Think I will post this as a caption contest as well

Looks to be a good idea,......esp with idiot boards explaining insignia etc. Maybe's one thing to think about is drilling some holes in feet of display stands to accept metal 'tie down pegs',.....

Here's a little-known insignia for you to consider.

In 1980 it was decreed that all German Colloquialists and above (I was a Linguist) were to identify themselves as such on ex Spearpoint for the benefit of the media. We were each issued with a strip of six Bundeswehr cockades (google "Bundeswehr cockade", select Images and see a roundel in yellow / red / black, about life size. I'd give you a link but it's many many lines long and garbage and I dunno if it would work. See other images of them worn on Jap caps etc: you'll see they are mounted on a square of drab material and mounted as a diamond) for us to sew onto combat jackets, shirts, overalls or jumpers, whatever the user predicted would be what he would be wearing on Spearpoint.

I still have one, rather battered and tattered, that was repeatedly removed from an item of worn-out clothing and sewn onto its replacement.

It was worn by us on the left sleeve, right above the combat jacket left-hand sleeve pocket mounted square, not diamond. Equivalent spot on other clothing.

Still wearing it when I got out in 1989 because no formal instruction had ever been given to remove it and when orderly officers asked about it on guard mount, that's what I told them and none of them ever thought to dig deeper. I certainly never did.

It wasn't often a squaddy got the chance to vary his uniform officially, so the opportunity was never wasted. (It was not authoried for wear on Number 2s, I hasten to point out.)

Here's a little-known insignia for you to consider.

In 1980 it was decreed that all German Colloquialists and above (I was a Linguist) were to identify themselves as such on ex Spearpoint for the benefit of the media. We were each issued with a strip of six Bundeswehr cockades (google "Bundeswehr cockade", select Images and see a roundel in yellow / red / black, about life size. I'd give you a link but it's many many lines long and garbage and I dunno if it would work. See other images of them worn on Jap caps etc: you'll see they are mounted on a square of drab material and mounted as a diamond) for us to sew onto combat jackets, shirts, overalls or jumpers, whatever the user predicted would be what he would be wearing on Spearpoint.

I still have one, rather battered and tattered, that was repeatedly removed from an item of worn-out clothing and sewn onto its replacement.

It was worn by us on the left sleeve, right above the combat jacket left-hand sleeve pocket mounted square, not diamond. Equivalent spot on other clothing.

Still wearing it when I got out in 1989 because no formal instruction had ever been given to remove it and when orderly officers asked about it on guard mount, that's what I told them and none of them ever thought to dig deeper. I certainly never did.

It wasn't often a squaddy got the chance to vary his uniform officially, so the opportunity was never wasted. (It was not authoried for wear on Number 2s, I hasten to point out.)

Nice first hand infomation,..........that certainly would not be found in 'official', and comtempory reference books.

..........................and I'll bet if you wore kit with insignia as such, there would be an outpouring of,.................'it wasn't worn like that', type stuff, by the so-called experts.:cool2:

there would be an outpouring of,.................'it wasn't worn like that', type stuff, by the so-called experts.:cool2:

No problem. The only squaddies who even knew it existed where those who wore it and their immediate colleagues. The question would have to be, "What do you think that is? Why do you think you should wear that? Get it off."

And, yes, I'd have great delight in putting them back in their box.

Then there's the Freedom of Paderborn badge, only issued to a dozen 15th/19th Hussars in 1982. Pull up a sandbag.

Paderborn's local recce regiment, Panzeraufklärungsabteilung 7 was to be awarded the freedom of Paderborn in a cermony on Sennelager Training Area in July 1982. They thought it would be nice if the parade included some of the regiment's comrades in arms. As Paderborn's BAOR recce regiment, 15/19H were invited to sent a selection of CVR(T)s to participate. I was volunteered to command the B Squadron Samaritan.

Oh look, my research shows I already told this story on the Army Rumour Service:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-cell/155702-medals-you-shouldnt-wouldnt-wear-3.html

Saves me typing it all out again.

WARNING: The words "Army Rumour Service" and "political correctness" do not belong on the same page. Think before visiting Arrse in the presence of anyone who might be offended.

;o)

Can (sort of) relate to the 'that wasn't worn like that', folk...........

well from a reenacting point, anyways.:-)

In the dim and distant I use to portray Canadian OR Italy 1943,...after extensive research, via archives in Canada,..and unit historys, i discovered that they DIDN'T blanco their webbing,.........(in fact they use to leave it in salt water for as long as to bleach it down even more,)..........only to run into a'button/stitch counter at very first event. :yawn:.........after he had gone on for a while,..........making himself look stupid, I hasten to add,.......I informed him, chapter and verse where his infomation was WRONG;

Moral here was/is, if I'd NOT done the research and just accepted his outpourings,........I'd have been doing a real dis-service to those guys who wore the kit for real.

Oh and the Arrse site.............:whistle: :D

• 1 month later...

Still being issued and worn now, a mate of mine was issued it in 2008 after completing language courses/tests.