Work at last!!!

ArtistsRifles

After 3.5 years out of work (and no state assistance whatsoever) I finally got a short term job this morning - an agency rang wanting me to start tomorrow. Humorous part is I am a skilled Oracle DBA and Intel/Unix server administrator - and the job is off-loading old telecomms gear to be recycled and banging the details into an excel spreadsheet.

Oh well - at least it is money coming in - even if the tax man will take half of it -for 3 months!!

Wil pay for my fuel next year and any other bits and pieces for the vehicles. :D

That's good news mate.

It's better to be in work doing anything than out of work doing nothing. At least it will look better when you apply for another job.

Not so sure about that part - my area of expertise is as an Oracle DBA - I'm not too sure how a prospective employer will like reading a CV from a DBA who's last job was hand-balling comms racks and noting the serial numbers down... But it pays some of the bills and it keeps me occupied :D

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Not so sure about that part - my area of expertise is as an Oracle DBA - I'm not too sure how a prospective employer will like reading a CV from a DBA who's last job was hand-balling comms racks and noting the serial numbers down... But it pays some of the bills and it keeps me occupied :D

My point Neil is that at least it shows you got off your ar*e and got some work rather than sponging on the State. In these hard times there are a lot of people that can't get a job that they were doing before they were made unemployed.

Back in the early 90's before the last recession I was a VERY well paid Tower Crane Driver. I was earning more then than I am now. Take into account inflation and the fact I was living at home with my parents and I was positively rolling in it. Then the recession happened and the firm went bust. I had to retrain in a totally different job, Landscaping and Forestry. My money was cut by two thirds overnight. But better that than being on the dole. I never did get back on the Cranes as my licence ran out about a month after I joined the Army. Two months later I was offered a job in the Bahamas for two years.... Typical.:-|

My point Neil is that at least it shows you got off your ar*e and got some work rather than sponging on the State. In these hard times there are a lot of people that can't get a job that they were doing before they were made unemployed.

Back in the early 90's before the last recession I was a VERY well paid Tower Crane Driver. I was earning more then than I am now. Take into account inflation and the fact I was living at home with my parents and I was positively rolling in it. Then the recession happened and the firm went bust. I had to retrain in a totally different job, Landscaping and Forestry. My money was cut by two thirds overnight. But better that than being on the dole. I never did get back on the Cranes as my licence ran out about a month after I joined the Army. Two months later I was offered a job in the Bahamas for two years.... Typical.:-|

Good point!! :D

They might get fed up with me though - I just gave them a full proposal for improving the efficiency and design of the database used for the system!!!! Turns out I gave them in 4 days what they had been paying a contractor for - for the last 6 months! Oops!! :D:D

yep sounds like time to go freelance

Looked at doing that - but cannot afford it! Insurance etc. is out of my league (make an error in a clients database and the damage figures make your eyes water!!) Had I gone that route 3 years ago - I could have. Sadly 6 months in and out of hospital screwed that one up.

Had fun getting to the new job yesterday - weight of snow brought down 180 feet of a 200 foot long Customs binded warehouse overnight.. The police closed the road off in case the local workers thought Xmas had come early with the amount of booze etc stored inside .... :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well - after 3 weeks there the two of us on the contract were followed out to the car park on Friday night and told not to bother coming back on Monday...... So much for 3 months work....

Can't say I am surprised though - when the ones we were supposed to be working for were there they kept on about how others had been got rid of early so I guess really it was inevitable... :-( :-(