Problem with front page

Richard Farrant

Jack,

I always open this site with http://www.hmvf.co.uk and the front page comes up, news adverts, that one. Today everytime I click on, I get a blank page with a few words at the top, saying something about illegal variable files, etc. then by adding /forum/, I can then get the menu, but it makes it hard to find what messages have come on since last online.

Anybody else had this today?

Richard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm.......could you explain that to someone who knows nothing about computers please :?

Richard,

Glad you asked first, I don't feel so bad now :oops: Cannot figure out why I have not had problems on other sites. Is there a way of clearing cookies on particular websites, so as not disturb anything else?

Richard

Glad I am not the only one thinking that I was the only one :oops:

Joris is on it :bow: and I am helping him :cofee:. Joris has had to put in place a security fix to help keep the site 'secure' from hackers etc etc ......normal service will resume shortly - I think.

Best wishes.

Jack

I used to be able to enter the site by http://www.hmvf.co.uk, then this problem started this week, not able to enter, then I added /forum, but still could not get Home page. Cleared all cookies for HMVF and still playing up a bit. I does seem that when I was told to clear cookies, this was actually a general problem judging by other listers with similar probs.

Anyway I am able to work around this glitch now, so no worries.

regards,

Richard

I'm going straight on to the forum page now (found it again via a link from another site) but I can't get the news page any more.

I'm reluctant to delete cookies because I've forgotten most of my passwords and things.

This problem started for me just a few days ago as well, without me having altered anything so why should cookies (which are meant to help us, aren't they ?) suddenly cause this problem ?

I have to say that the error message is the sort that made me think that the forum was going the way of some others that I have been a member of.

Let's hope that it's not permanently discouraging the less determined.

Rich.

You can also go to the forum and then logoff, the front page should work fine then.

Tried that, still come up with the gobbledygook when I try to search through Google again.

Had to look all through the old post-its to find my password again. Why has the problem suddenly appeared ? Surely the system should realise that old vehicle owners, by their very nature, are somewhat resistant to change.

If only I had a large whitworth spanner to fit my computer, I'm sure I could sort it all out ! :wink:

I get the same message.

I deleted 'history' and 'temporary internet files', is this the same as cookies?

Excuse my computer non-skills, I prefer things with engines.

No, right click on your internet icon on main screen, left click on properties, then on screen that comes up you can clear files, cookies and history. I too am a computer dunce but this is one of the few things I have learned, you need to do it regularly, it only takes a few seconds but is quite important. If you have any problems let me know and I will lead you thro' the procedure.

Cheers

Degsy

I have been trying for over a week to log on by typing in HMVF.Co.UK and always get an error message. But today i tried logging in using it's address previously recorded in my favourites and got in no no problem. My query is therefore, have the number of users dropped dramatically, thinking like i did that the whole site had closed down because they had not been able to find the site?

Tim (too)

Degsy,

Thanks for your help. I found my 'cookies' although in the end they weren't in the same place as yours. On my machine they were under C:\documents and settings\cookies .

Anyway it's done the trick and I don't have to go through the palaver to get in... and I've learnt something, which is very important.

Regards - Mike