Problem with front page

Richard Farrant

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt I was missing out!

But in the last week or so I can't open the front page. The page starts then a grey panel from Microsoft appears saying an error with Outlook Express has occured & the application has to close. I then open up OE again & no problem. It doesn't happen the second time & sometimes I don't have the problem at all. I find no other sites does this happen, only recently on here. If it were a cookie problem why does it always allow access on the second attempt without a fuss? Is this the problem others have had or is this my own special problem?

I recently sent Jack a PM saying that I got a virus warning from Norton when I visited the home page. It identified the virus as 'Downloader', which Norton removed. It didn't happen every visit, but this was the only site where I got the warning.

Steve

I got that one yesterday on this site.. it's also happening on the WW2 Forum http://wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23204&highlight=virus

Thinking about it. The problem doesn't seem to happen when I go to the front page myself. But when I get an email about a thread I am watching & I click the link then it seems to be the problem. I just got it when I followed the link to this thread.

I just get the top intro lines then it freezes & there is a microsoft message that the programme is not responding. Even when I do the end now option it often doesn't respond until several attempts. I shall ignore email links & go to the home page & then into the topic & see if that is trouble free.

To be on the safe side I cleared my cookies. Then opened the home page ok.

I prefer to view as a visitor as it just says "Welcome" rather than when you log in you get that annoying "Hey". When I do log in it often says OE has to close etc when I sent a message to microsoft it replied with:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=db135871-773f-4e74-ab73-a9f0849c8452&SID=1476

But got a bit pefuddled by the advice given, but perhaps others may be able to understand the advice.

I got that one yesterday on this site.. it's also happening on the WW2 Forum http://wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23204&highlight=virus

Norton detected the virus again this morning.. details of the "Downloader" Trojan can be found here..

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2002-101518-4323-99&tabid=1

I thought I would see what happened if I came on from my wife's PC. I am on it now I could open the forum OK. But doing it from a link in an email gives the error message & OE has to shut down.

So it behaves exactly as my PC but what to do about plug ins I don't know. It's not such a big deal I suppose. Because if I follow the link I have a nose around other postings whilst I'm there. So I will take note of the link, ignore it, open the forum, nose around then look at the posting I was notified about. So I can get used to that.

Hi all.

Sorry that some of you are still having this problem. I will try and get on top of the problem this week.

Could you be as kind as to post up here the error codes etc that you are having and I will forward these to our host.

WW2 forum and I use the same host so I am thinking here that it may be a problem with the hosting company......and not HMVF.

Many thanks for your understanding.

Jack.

WW2 forum and I use the same host so I am thinking here that it may be a problem with the hosting company......and not HMVF.

That was something I was thinking about too. By the way, just had the problem too but I never have it when I work with firefox.

I think it's about time Neil "ArtistsRifles" had a look at this one, he's the IT whiz kid on the Forum :-)

Errr............. If we've started using Oracle databases, Win2K3 Servers and eM-Power virtual assembly tools in our homes I'll gladly help!! My PC skills are rather rusty these days 'cos I got replaced in front line IT support by 5 contractors as a "cost saving exercise" in 1998!!!!

FWIW to any one though - I do not use either Internet Exploder or Outlook Express because they are too prone to viral infections. I'm seriously toying with the idea of moving to Linux as the O/S at home having read of all the serious flaws already dicovered in Windows Vista (the XP Replacement due in 2007).

Right now though I run the following:

• Opera & FireFox as web browsers

• Eudora as the e-mail client

• AVG as the antivirus software - as effective as Norton but with less than half the system resource burden

as they are not reliant on the VB core code that 90% of virus writers favours at the mode of attack.

Ok, looks like we have found the problem, the below is from our hosting company ( looks like I might of screwed up :roll: )

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your query regarding your site. As per our advance notice e-mail, your site was migrated recently onto our new rack, and we e-mailed you after the event to let you know the new nameserver details. The e-mail address used incidentally was your current registered address in your billing account. If this is not up-to-date, you may not have received the e-mails. Please note that the notification e-mail sent after migration was automated, and a checking process is carried out to ensure that it was sent.

Having checked your domain, the nameservers still point to the old server, which has now been withdrawn from operational use (this is the reason that your site is no longer loading).

You need therefore to change your nameservers immediately to the following:-

ns1.hu-dns.com

ns2.hu-dns.com

ns3.hu-dns.com

ns4.hu-dns.com

Propagation should be rapid, and your site should be available again soon. If you have continued to update your site onto the old server after migration, your new site may be out-of-date. You may in this case need to restore your site from your latest backup. Please note that we do not hold backups, which as per our Terms and Conditions, are your responsibility.

Regards,

Jithesh,

Support Technician

---------------------------------------------------

Will keep you posted!

Cheers.

Jack.

Yes they did and this is why we are having this problem, we will be on the case as soon as Joris gets out of bed :argh:

And suddenly it's _my_ fault? :-D

I'll fix this when I get home, which should be in around 3 hrs.