my mk 4 churchill

eddy8men

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the photo you posted of the two universal carrier wheels attached together in a mini track set up. I have noticed this similar design in a collection of parts (see attached) and when I saw them, formed the opinion that someone had made them for some undisclosed purpose. But seeing your photo, I'm now thinking that these had a certain purpose. Do you know what they were originally used for.

I think these boogies might have been a universal design thing because I'm pretty sure that something very similar was used for Mobile Bailey bridges. In hostile areas bridges could be jacked-up onto these tracked contraptions and then pushed into place with a Churchill. Here's a link to an image from the Think Defence web site which shows this in operation.

Churchill-AVRE-propelling-a-Mobile-Bailey-bridge-740x364.jpg

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Churchill-AVRE-propelling-a-Mobile-Bailey-bridge-740x364.jpg

The ones used under bailey bridges were a British version of an American bogie manufactured by Athey. The Athey ones were very popular in the twenties and thirties for logging trailers and big dump trailers pulled by big crawler tractors. The British ones were made under the name of 'Orolo' which was a reference to the fact that each one had three big interleaved and overlapping wheels. The centre one being very slightly bigger than the end ones so that the track was not dead flat at the bottom to make steering easier. They were made in a variety of sizes, often as a sort of truck with a drawbar and a load platform that was about square and entirely between the tracks. Post war they were used on lifeboat trailers that launched the boats off beaches. I remember Great Yarmouth had one with a Case tractor fully wadeproofed like a mini BARV to pull it. They were also used for moveing crashed aircraft.

David

Post war they were used on lifeboat trailers that launched the boats off beaches. I remember Great Yarmouth had one with a Case tractor fully wadeproofed like a mini BARV to pull it.

Still do, though modern versions. This is Seahouses, Filey has a similar one, and I guess many of the East Coast stations:

_MG_2607cs.jpg

This is the old one at Filey (1960s / 1970s):

Filey lifeboat launch.jpg

And were they concealing tankers as GS trucks?

Far as I know all the O type fuel and water tankers had tilts and frames, and quite a lot of others as well.

Edited by Sean N

Here are some interesting photos ive found. The boggie as a trailer. What a great looking set up. Ive gotta get my hands on those boggies now and make them into a trailer, copying the design in these photos. Interesting stuff. Now I will let you all get back to talking about Churchills. Amazing how one photo can result in such an interesting discover. Thats why I love this site.

Many regards, Gents.

tracked trailer 3.jpg

tracked trailer 2.jpg

tracked trailer 4.jpg

nice find olaf

as to value maybe £800 for the track and bogies and the owner can keep the rest, infact if you gave him some carrier wheels with the rubber removed and a couple of 1" bars as axles he'd pretty much have the same thing just without the track and someone else could have a nice basis for a carrier trailer

rick

nice one singe :D

caption should read "how many women does it take to change a spark plug"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100856[/ATTACH]

Easy. one hundred.

One to hold the plug, the other ninety-nine to rotate the tank.

( Must go, wife is coming home ... )