my mk 4 churchill

eddy8men

hi simon

the tanks are coming along just fine. the carrier is ready for the engine to go back in next week, the cromwell mk6 is stripped ready for the engine bay to be emptied and the centaur is, well just sitting there ready to provide the parts to complete the cromwell and the churchill is still where it was when i bought it 9 months ago but the plan for it to come up north is getting closer. there's also a wot6 which is a lovely looking truck but it will have to go as there's a problem with it.( it is'nt a tank) :D

all the best

eddy

Edited by eddy8men

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best to get rid of the WOT6, as you have your hands full with the Tanks.

Still haven't got myself a tank yet. My first job is still to convince the Mrs that we 'need' a tank. I've just joined this forum, when I get the spare time - I'll add some info to your thread/database on stories of lost tanks, as I've listened and asked questions on these matters since I was a kid. Such as the elusive 'quarry full of Yank tanks' stories.

With regards, Simon.

• 4 weeks later...

picked up a gearbox last week and i've been tinkering with it today, thankfully although it has some minor damage it looks to be in good condition overall and is quite oily round the gear selectors which is a good sign, so i'd bet a pound to a pinch of salt it's full of oil.

the first job is to strip the steering brakes down and free em up and replace the seals in the slave cylinders, the layout is standard although funnily enough it has 2 leading shoes so steering won't be as good/positive in reverse but i won't loose any sleep over it. it came apart easy enough although i sheared a jacking bolt while getting the drum off (it was my fault for trying to graunch the wrong thread into it !) now i know what to expect the other side should come off without much fuss tomorrow.

after i'd finished tidying up it suddenly struck me that this was the start of the mamouth task of restoring the churchill to running condition and that they'll be many more late nights after work like this one and to be honest i enjoyed it.

eddy

devon 011.JPG

devon 012.JPG

devon 013.JPG

devon 015.JPG

Rick, the MB steering brakes are either on or off and when applied, the drum is held and does not rotate so efficiency is not really an issue. Stopping brakes are a different story but it's a Churchill so it never goes fast enough to need brakes......:-D

looking at the pictures, previously i would have said you are mad, sir! however, having since seen the Dennis truck thread I have been left in awe of what can be done, so god speed and I cant wait to see the finished result! :-)

Rick, what is the unit mounted on top of the box? The one that is finned and looks like a little compressor.

Was the box originally from a range at some point or was it from Pounds et al?

no such thing as a gradual turn in a churchill then, you learn something new every day.

rick

No, you have various radii of turn depending on selected gear just as in Comet , Cent et al with the MB design.

However, the box achieves this by locking one epicyclic via the steering brake drum and using the speed change ratio to vary the relative track speeds.

If the drums only rotated when the vehicle moved, you could not do a nuetral turn.

thanks adrian

in my "b" mech(softskin) way of thinking i thought it would steer like a 432 but it sounds more like a cvrt setup. the craarv must have the same type of steering as i remember being at borden outside the tank sheds when a craarv came tearing down the road and then tracked left to enter the shed but he must have been in too high a gear as it rammed the wall where we were all stood having a brew, fortunately tea, not blood was spilt and a sheepish reccy mech reversed his blade out of the wall to cheers from those looking on. i believe the term w#nker was used alot

eddy

thanks adrian

in my "b" mech(softskin) way of thinking i thought it would steer like a 432 but it sounds more like a cvrt setup. the craarv must have the same type of steering as i remember being at borden outside the tank sheds when a craarv came tearing down the road and then tracked left to enter the shed but he must have been in too high a gear as it rammed the wall where we were all stood having a brew, fortunately tea, not blood was spilt and a sheepish reccy mech reversed his blade out of the wall to cheers from those looking on. i believe the term w#nker was used alot

eddy

I have heard stories of squaddies driving off cliffs etc in CVRTs because they changed gear part way round a corner, the radius of the turn changed and they went over the edge.

Rick,- the turning radii are given in the Churchill service instruction manual which I assumed you have and are 8.8ft in 1st to 71ft in 4th which I would think are on a hard surface and of course the pivot turn in neutral -which is the Merrit Browns claim to fame.

I look forward to seeing them and will be astounded:shocked: if some-one has a Mk5 or Mk8 Churchill squirreled away:-D.

SORRY FOR THE DELAY CHAPS........pics taken but not posted yet, tank is decribed on the display plate as a 95MM AVRE ? Not hugely up on churchills so i will mod the pics tonight as they need resizing.....those better informed can allocate the description. The vehicle is not exactly squirilled away as its right next to the perimeter railings by the Prince Arthur Road entrance. It most definatley is not a 75 mm Crocodile.

Tim

Edited by tim gray
spelling

hi tim

thanks for taking the time to get the churchill pics, much appreciated.

eddy

No problems eddy, just have to sort off slip away as were without being too obvious about it. Tied in nicely with a job i had to recce. Well guys i hope the pics are not a disapointment!

Chucked in some pics of the bridgelayer whilst i was thier.

Next chance i get anybody fancv pics of the ARK? Some or all of the ramp toes are missing as they are being restored.

DSCF0492 (600 x 450).jpg

DSCF0491 (600 x 450).jpg

DSCF0493 (600 x 450).jpg

DSCF0497 (600 x 450).jpg

DSCF0495 (600 x 450).jpg

DSCF0496 (600 x 450).jpg

Edited by tim gray

Hi Tim

The tank 34ZR42 is a Post war Mk7 AVRE which mounted the 6.5inch BL gun similar to that later fitted to the Centurion Mk5 AVRE and similar type used in the US M728 CEV. It has nothing to do with a 95mm howitzer tank as the Mk7 AVRE were converted from Mk7 75mm gun tanks -the Mk8 95mm Howitzer tank having a completely different turret.

A wartime AVRE petard turret would not be appropriate for a Mk7 hull as Petard armed tanks were square doored A22 Mks.

Steve

• 1 month later...

the ongoing saga that is the recovery and transportation of my churchill is nearing to an end, due to the wheels being shot to hell and the fact that i could not get a crane to lift it into my garden i've had to fabricate a tracked sled for the 18 ton hull to ride on, this was done using some carrier track and bogies i found last year. the sled is now fitted to the hull(although it does need a bit more welding) and the crane and flatbed will be ordered for pick up on the 1st july and i for one will be relieved when it gets back up to manchester as it's a right ballache sorting it all out but these things must be done if it's to be restored and saved from the gas axe !

16 june 2011 023.JPG

16 june 2011 026.JPG

18 june 2011 004.JPG

lol it does look a bit like a giant upturned pram :-D as for the load carrying capacity of the bogies i'd be lying if i said i was absolutely sure it is going to be alright and i must admit i'm a little worried but sometimes you've just got to go for it and hope the gods are with you, nobody ever got anywhere by pussyfooting around and besides if it does go pear shaped it'll give us all something to discuss on the forum.

It will be fine mate, just make sure that all the weight isn't put on the one side bogies while the Crane driver rights the old girl. Also, make sure it is pushed / pulled slowly, that could build up quite some momentum and be difficult to stop otherwise.Were those bogies easy to remove? What is the plan of attack, once the hull is in position, plugging holes or replacing plates? Thinking about is, I suppose a survey would be a good start, you want to know where to start, I.e. What is the condition of the mild steel inner hull...Good luck and give me a call if I can help out.

but sometimes you've just got to go for it and hope the gods are with you, nobody ever got anywhere by pussyfooting around and besides if it does go pear shaped it'll give us all something to discuss on the forum.

Best of luck as I think the same way........ be paitient on the lift day

don't worry guys i'll make sure the crane guy is gentle with the old girl and i'll put some timber baulking down so the bogies aren't bent when it's righted, when/if it arrives at my workshop (still only half built) the plan is to ignore it until the carrier and wot6 are sorted only then will the restoration begin, first task is get the karcher on it and give it a good blast with water then i'll be able to see what i'm dealing with, the hull will be stripped of ancillaries inside and out and the holes/damage will be filled and welded then i'll get it sand blasted and primed after that's done it's a case of finding missing or broken parts and assemblies which will take years, not even i think it will be ready in 5 years time so a&e 2012 is out, someone will have to tell jack:-D this will definately be more of a marathon than a sprint but i'll get there in the end.

rick