my mk 4 churchill

eddy8men

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

there's not much progress to report other than it is still sitting in my yard waiting for the shelter to be built. although i have been busy collecting track and suspension parts from the four corners of the country :D

my main focus is the cromwell and until that is finished the churchill will just have to wait it's turn but don't worry i won't lose interest in it, infact i'm getting more hooked the more i look into it. what can i say "i just really like churchills" and as soon as i can acquire more then i will :cool2:

rick

• 1 month later...
right then fella's here she is in all her glory, this little fixer upper has been mine since the end of june but it's still sitting in shrewsbury awaitng collection, unfortunately i can't collect it until the land i've just bought is sorted out but i'm working on it so it should be up in manchester by the end of this month which is when i can start to really get a proper look at it, most people think it's beyond economical repair but to me it looks do-able maybe i should take my rose tinted glasses off :D anyway i've already decided that i'm going to get it running so that's that.

all the best

eddy

Hello Eddy

Thanks for the interest my thread.

You certainly have a huge task ahead of you.

Whilst I have never been involved in restoring tanks, I am retired from the heavy crawler crane industry & have in the past been involved in some significant undercarriage & slew ring restoration/repair.

Heavy,dirty,tiring work,but worth it when you put the track belts back on & watch it roll out of the workshop so I have an insight to the work you will have to do.

I wish you the best of luck,& hope you realise your dream.

Good luck

Jim (lenseye)

• 6 months later...

i was in shrewsbury yesterday collecting a new starter motor for the cromwell and while i was down there i thought it was about time i picked up the turret for the churchill (nearly 3 years after i bought it). although the back has been badly shot up the rest was in great condition, i can't wait to start restoring it but the cromwell and t16 have to come first maybe later on in the year i'll make a start on it.

chur turret 5.jpg

chur turret 3.jpg

Great stuff Rick. What modern (ish) weapon makes those small holes in the armour, I have seen a number of range targets with similar damage, presumably a weapon that breaks up (deploys) close to the target and creates multiple impacts.

Do you have a turret ring for the Churchill?

Great stuff Rick. What modern (ish) weapon makes those small holes in the armour, I have seen a number of range targets with similar damage, presumably a weapon that breaks up (deploys) close to the target and creates multiple impacts.

Do you have a turret ring for the Churchill?

Alastair

Probably done by either 3.5 Rocket (Bazooka), 98 Grenade (Energa). 66mm LAW or that great weapon 84mm Carl Gustav MAW. All these work on the Burney principle to defeat armour, that is burning a hole through it, look it up on the web for a detailed explanation.

Bob

bob's right it was mostly 84mm carl gustav (known as a "charlie g") an infantry anti tank weapon, i know it was charlie g as the hull was full of parts of the rockets that the range staff had chucked in the tank when cleaning up the range area. a common practrice.

as for the holes, like mike suggested i'll be using rebar welded in place and ground down.

rick

Edited by eddy8men

• 1 year later...

I saw the photo you posted of the two universal carrier wheels attached together in a mini track set up. I have noticed this similar design in a collection of parts (see attached) and when I saw them, formed the opinion that someone had made them for some undisclosed purpose. But seeing your photo, Im now thinking that these had a certain purpose. Do you know what they were originally used for.

Regards, Tim

track wheels.jpg

IMG_1740[1].jpg

hi mike and tim

the sled I have was used to recover vehicles, I actually bought 2 complete sleds but only took the tracked bogies the rest is still at nelson green's yard in grantham, I keep meaning to go back and get them as they might be the only 2 surviving examples and besides they would look nice towed behind my carrier :Dcarrier sled.jpg

Wow, thats very interesting. As you can see in the photo that I posted, their is a set sitting in the Bren Gun Carrier that I am currently negotiating to buy. So thats very interesting. Hopefully I can get my hands on them as it would make an interesting piece to tow behind a carrier. If I get my hands on them, I will clean them up and post them on this thread.

Thanks for posting the original photo and letting me know what they are. Excellent.

Regards, Tim