In your dreams!

Pzkpfw-e

ajmac's post about being told of a Lloyd Carrier in a barn and the thread about the body of an Sdkfz 251 being found in a Czech quarry, got me thinking.

What's your "dream find", that "OMG!/Feck Me!" moment, having been told that someone down the road's got something interesting in their barn etc, you go down and there, lurking amongst those bits of old crap that every farmer has, is a............?

When I was 12 years old I had reason to be walking in the Hankley common area when I came across a large "nissen hut" a peer through the grimey window revealed the contents to be an AEC Matador!

My dream to be able to find where I saw it and discover it to still be there. :D

Regards rog8811

A Dodge command car. For many many years an old blue J**p stood by the side of a barn in Jersey. Regardless the guy wouldn't sell it. Even had 'Not For Sale' painted on the bonnet. Then just disappeared. Another was a 1 ton Himber used as a breackdown truck, that ended up as scrap, and German truck, type unkown (I was only about 12 or 13) Without the old K3 and MW used by farmers to cart spud barrels to the harbour.They just disappeared. Mind you German Feild telephones were about ten bob a pair. If I knew then! :banghead:

Not a dream, but a real-life experience when I was a teenager: finding a Kettenkrad in a barn!

The owner knew very well what he had and would not sell. Many years later after he passed away his sons sold the Kettenkrad to a collector, so luckily it was saved.

Many years ago my dad broke down in his 1931 Austin 7 on the railway bridge heading south into Rustington, West Sussex. After he had sorted the problem he walked past the near side to put tools into the passenger footwell and just happened to notice a car in the hedgerow of a garden at the foot of the bridge. He thought it looked 1930's, but as he was running late he headed off.

Several months later he was travelling the route again and he stopped to see if he could see what the car was. It was an SS100 tourer. He spoke to the owner and she offered it to him for free provided he cleaned up the hedgerow afterwards. Unfortunately he had nowhere to store the car so he gave it to his cousin. After 20 years in storage the car was revisited and some research done. It was the third prototype SS car making it the oldest known SS car (Alan Clarke MP at the time owned the first production SS 100). For those that do not know, the SS car company later changed its name to Jaguar.

That is my families dream find, just a shame I missed out on the benefits of it!

I'd be quite happy to find a Matador lurking in a nice, dry barn somewhere just waiting for someone to come along and give it a clean, change the oil and charge the battery and take it to some shows.

I do know of a (non military) Land Rover S2 109" recovery truck that was restored in the 80's then hidden away in a small shed for years, where it still is now. That was a nice find, but I cheated a bit as it belongs to a friend's Uncle!

How about finding a Wildcat in a barn?!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220687348878

"Aircraft Not flown in 60+ years never civil registered"

Mive looks like somebody has spent a lot of time restoring the instrument pamel and what is that funny diagomal tide markjust below the cockpit?

I must be looking in all the wrong barns,

All I ever seem to find is bovine excrement.

Mike

Weren't these sold by Huddersfield Land Rover Centre when they were released ? Very pricey I would imagine. Anybody know where they are now ?

Hi Timbo,

One appeared in the Land Rover club enclosure at Beltring some years ago, despite me asking around, no one knew who the owner was. I thought he might have been interested in a bit of background about it. Then a couple of years ago, I was talking to a friend from West Country and he had heard of one around the north coast area of Somerset or Devon, I forget the exact location he said.