L1a1 slr

tinweasle

Hi, I'm currently on the lookout for a nice L1A1 and I just wondered if there was anything I should know before I part with my cash?

I have found a short barreled version that I may be intrested in but I dont seem to be able to find any info about them, all I know is that it has the later black furniture annd dosnt have anywhere to mount a sling, I have been told that they were used by snipers, but to me this sounds wrong, anybody know more?

cheers

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

the Aussies used short barrelled slr's during vietnam, dont think snipers used them tho.

What spec are you looking for? old with fully moving parts, or new with everything welded up?

Mark

This is an old spec fully strippable except the barrel and it's to go in my lightweight, I can't see a sniper using a short barrelled gun, how ever I know a few l1a1's in British use had there sling swivels taken off and I was lead to belive that this was a British rifle used by some airborne units cost is just under £700 so I don't want to get somthing compleaty wrong! Anybody know any more on these rifles?

Cheers

Shaun

Both 21 and 23 stripped the sling swivels and carry handles off their L1A1's. Furniture is no guide there though as mine was wooden, my mates was the black nylon.

The armourers here will correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty certain (we are talking over 30 years ago) that the UK forces did not have a short barelled version - the Ausrralians did though. Check the stampings to see if it is UK or Oz - I forget the differences but again the armourers here can help.

L1A1 was never a snipers weapon - that was the L42A1 or SMLE Mk4(T)

Hi Shaun, my reply is much the same as the rest. For that sort of money stick out for a correct std. long barrel SLR. Not much more cash you may pick up a old spec. and will get a new spec. and have a bit of cash left for more 'bits'. It is very easy to buy the first item that comes along (I think we have all done it) and repent later. One will turn up that is correct and you will be happy with. Thats what happened with my .50cal.

Andy.

Cheers everyone, I will be holding fire on this one for a bit I think! I like the wooden stocked ones better anyway. I think the nerves have set, as the lightweight will be on show at Billing this weekend and never having done a show before I'm worryed that a plain green GS LWT is going to be over looked as I know there will be a very nice looking VPK, and some fully kitted out FFR landys on the stand with mine so I'm trying to find some ways to make mine a bit more intresting and I do love the look of an slr.

If your going please feel free to say hello as you walk past to look at the more intresting stuff on show:D

Cheers everyone, I will be holding fire on this one for a bit I think! I like the wooden stocked ones better anyway. I think the nerves have set, as the lightweight will be on show at Billing this weekend and never having done a show before I'm worryed that a plain green GS LWT is going to be over looked as I know there will be a very nice looking VPK, and some fully kitted out FFR landys on the stand with mine so I'm trying to find some ways to make mine a bit more intresting and I do love the look of an slr.

If your going please feel free to say hello as you walk past to look at the more intresting stuff on show:D

Hi, what stand will you be on? If I get down will try to find you.

Your going to the right place to find a SLR anyway. It has taken me six years to kit mine out.

I for one always look over a Airportable of any type, I know others do as well. Have a great show.

Andy.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get to w&p but I'm would like to it all depends how much I spend at Billing :D but if I can get there I will take you up on your offer

I'm going to be on the EMLRA stand this weekend

Thanks again for your help

Shaun

Both 21 and 23 stripped the sling swivels and carry handles off their L1A1's. Furniture is no guide there though as mine was wooden, my mates was the black nylon.

The armourers here will correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty certain (we are talking over 30 years ago) that the UK forces did not have a short barelled version - the Ausrralians did though. Check the stampings to see if it is UK or Oz - I forget the differences but again the armourers here can help.

L1A1 was never a snipers weapon - that was the L42A1 or SMLE Mk4(T)

Neil is correct, the British Army per say has NEVER used a short barrelled SLR. There is the POSSIBLE probability that 22nd S.A.S had trialed an example. But I do NOT think it was ever adopted. The muzzle flash would be too great & give away a firers position & destroy night vision. I am aware that a few were converted for Austrailian Forces though. Wether they were adopted or not is uncertain. I would imagine thier use to be very infrequent for the above stated facts.

An Aussie SLR is very easily identifed. It's Serial number is ALWAYS o the right hand side, & always a LONG one! As opposed to Brit Spec which is on the left & a LOT shorter.

If you can get to W&P, come & see me on plot 97 with My Armourers display & I can show you better.

Mike

Just to make you Brits envyous....

Here in Italy SLRs are classed "Hunting Weapons" and can be had to Sporting Firearms Certificate holders.

They cost around 600-750 Euro.....

There are many short barrelled SLRs on the Itlian market but they had been "bubba-ed" by the importer...

Andrea

Just to make you Brits envyous....

Here in Italy SLRs are classed "Hunting Weapons" and can be had to Sporting Firearms Certificate holders.

They cost around 600-750 Euro.....

There are many short barrelled SLRs on the Itlian market but they had been "bubba-ed" by the importer...

Andrea

Lucky devils....:-)

• 1 month later...

I'm still on the look out for a nice slr but have found this

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/l1a1-slr-short-barreled-deactivated---110601-2539-p.asp

I'm not looking at getting it, but from what ferretfixer has sead and from the discription this looks like a british SLR with a 14 inch barrel and I thought some of you may be intrested

I'm still on the look out for a nice slr but have found this

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/l1a1-slr-short-barreled-deactivated---110601-2539-p.asp

I'm not looking at getting it, but from what ferretfixer has sead and from the discription this looks like a british SLR with a 14 inch barrel and I thought some of you may be intrested

I am certainly no expert but maybe "used by snipers" not as sniper rifle but as personal protection?

All Lithgow L1A1s have AD prefix serial numbrers on the right as mentioned. All UK L1s have a serial prefix of UE, UB or UF then 2 digits which is the year and then A then the serial number. Lithgow bodies have diffrent maching in some places to the UK equivalent. Lithgow guns also tend to have the later cheep formed wood hand grips with the drilled holes rather than slots.

The short barrel types seen at places like Helston arn't original, I think they've been messed with to sell as somthing special.

Also, I should point out that Lithgow SLRs ended up in British service through joint serving units etc. and the British Government bought many Lithgow guns in the 70s to Augment our stock piles.

ATB, Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst reading up on the right arm of the free world ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL ) under Australia I found references to two different "short" versions of the SLR:

Another interesting product of Australian participation in the conflict in South-East Asia was the field modification of L1A1 and L2A1 rifles by the Australian Special Air Service Regiment SASR for better handling. Nicknamed "The Bitch", these rifles were field modified, often from heavy barrel L2A1 automatic rifles, with their barrels cut off immediately in front of the gas block, and often with the L2A1 bipods removed and a XM148 40 mm grenade launcher mounted below the barrel. The XM148 40 mm grenade launchers were obtained from U.S. forces. For the L1A1, the lack of fully-automatic fire resulted in the unofficial conversion of the L1A1 to full-auto capability by simply filing down the selector, which works by restricting disconnecter movement.[5]

Australia produced a shortened version of the L1A1 designated the L1A1-F1. It was intended for easier use by soldiers of smaller stature in jungle combat, as the standard L1A1 is a long, heavy weapon. The reduction in length was achieved by installing the shortest butt length (there were 3 available, short, standard and long), and a flash suppressor that resembled the standard version except it projected a much smaller distance beyond the end of the rifling, and had correspondingly shorter flash eliminator slots. The effect was to reduce the length of the weapon by 2 1/4 inches. Trials revealed that, despite no reduction in barrel length, accuracy was slightly reduced. The L1A1-F1 was provided to Papua New Guinea, and a number were sold to the Royal Hong Kong Police in 1984. They were also issued to female Staff Cadets at the Royal Military College Duntroon and some other Australian personnel.

Edit: my bold. If yer a pussy.

Stupid idea, the 'flash hider' is designed to vent the exit gases away from the firier. All you get by removing it is defeaned and a face full of debries.

No different to a Mk IV SMLE without the eliminator. The standard one on the L1A1 made a four pronged "star" at night which kind of made a nice aiming mark for the bad guys.