Can i run a ferret (on tarmac) with front driveshafts removed ??

Fugly

Question

Hello All

Dont slate me for this idea, but I am a bit of a greeny and like anyone I want to save the environment and save energy !!!

I hope to take my ferret 02CC12 to several events (Its been invited to an RTR reunion) and some of these event may be reasonably long distance .

How this for an idea, Could I remove the front driveshafts and run it in 2WD (rear wheel) mode !! Ok dont shout at me too loudly !!

I would not attempt this on any off road " duties" - but as an idea, my simple (very simple) mind is seeing reduced tyrewear (due to less potential front / rear transmission windup) , slightly reduced weight (OK - thats a longshot...) and maybe less petrol consumption.

It wouldn't affect the look of things. Look at it as a MFWC (Manual Free Wheel Conversion....):laugh:

Has this statement reduced my already tiny credibility on this forum to a negative figure ! (and my rank to private - toilet cleaner !!)

PS - DONT EVER RUN ANY VEHICLE WITH PROP GUARDS REMOVED - THE RESULTS CAN BE FATAL.

20 answers to this question

Dear 'Toilet cleaner'! NO! do not run your Ferret with the front propshafts disconected under it's own power!

the drive train system is so designed that if you do this you will put extra strain on the system. this will result in expensive breakages! Also, the items that will fail are very difficult to source to effect a repair.

I have heard of this being done, it works for w while, but the end result was as I discribed.

DONT DO IT!

Mike.

PS - DONT EVER RUN ANY VEHICLE WITH PROP GUARDS REMOVED - THE RESULTS CAN BE FATAL.

Dear 'Toilet cleaner'! NO! do not run your Ferret with the front propshafts disconected under it's own power!

the drive train system is so designed that if you do this you will put extra strain on the system. this will result in expensive breakages! Also, the items that will fail are very difficult to source to effect a repair.

I have heard of this being done, it works for w while, but the end result was as I discribed.

DONT DO IT!

Mike.

Cheers Mike

Advice humbly and gratefuly accepted - I will file that idea in the "not so good schemes"" box under my desk !

I will just have to pump the tyres up a bit harder !

Jim

If you have runflats fitted I doubt pumping them up will make any difference, the side walls are around 2" thick. I have done some very long distance trips in mine. The weekend I took it to the Plains trip in 2007 I did 500 miles in 3 days. Just make sure you unwind it at regular intervals and keep on top of the oil levels, and you should be fine. They like a good run and it will run better after you do some long trips in it.

Chris

you could try driving it with hatches shut and using the periscopes that would make it more aerodynamic !:cool2:

Aha ! You are referring to my other crap idea....... the secret Mark 9/9 submarine version shown in the attached picture

" Secret Underwater Ferret Emerges in France after Unsuccesful Thames Testing":angel:

DROWNED FERRET..jpg

So they're permanent 4X4?

I didn't know that

Yes , and there is no "diff" action between the front wheels and rear wheels on either side - hence both near side wheels are driven at the same time . I understand that as the tyres wear at different rates the diameter is different and this will lead to them needing to rotate at different speeds to cover the same distance , and possible wind up !!

If you have runflats fitted I doubt pumping them up will make any difference, the side walls are around 2" thick. I have done some very long distance trips in mine. The weekend I took it to the Plains trip in 2007 I did 500 miles in 3 days. Just make sure you unwind it at regular intervals and keep on top of the oil levels, and you should be fine. They like a good run and it will run better after you do some long trips in it.

Chris

Cheers Chris , My tyres are probably by biggest worry at the moment , they look cracked / old (But so do I !!)

but from what you have said are probably stronger than I think.

Jim

Well...... you can but it is hardly worth it! Firstly, you must ensure that all parts of transmission are up to the mark with the correct grade of oil. Secondly, you should 'balance' the wheels: not with weights but in terms of size! Simple process: pump all 5 up to same pressure, measure all round the circumference and chalk the length on the sidewall (so you don't get confused!) Put the two biggest on one side and the two smallest on the other, middle tyre goes as spare. Circumferences MUST be within 2 inches, preferably within a half inch difference between the front and rear tyres on each side. No matter what the size difference may be from side to side. If you cannot get them to match for size, how about a swop with another ferret owner?

When you are driving, you can feel wind up as a twitching of the steering, a bit of 'off road' will soon sort it out eg the dirt at the side of a layby or any bump, going over a kerb, pothole etc.

If you just want to save fuel, go slower! Works a treat!

If you have to go to two wheel drive, you MUST blank off 1st gear and always start off in 2nd. This reduces the torque on the remaining bevel boxes to approx the same as they have to endure when starting in 4 wheel drive in 1st.

If you really want your ferret to be green, get some paint!!! (Joke!)

Mine are also quite cracked, not on the sidewall but on the tread. However I do run on them but keep a regular check of the cracks. As the actual tread is inches deep and that an inner tube is used, plus a run flat insert I am assuming it it ok to run on them :undecided:

Please tell me if anyone thinks otherwise :-)

I've also measured the circumference and matched the sides to within half an inch (lucky :-)

Aha ! You are referring to my other crap idea....... the secret Mark 9/9 submarine version shown in the attached picture

" Secret Underwater Ferret Emerges in France after Unsuccesful Thames Testing":angel:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23180[/ATTACH]

interesting Pic of an Early Ferret (Note the Single side lights in a 'Hood') I bet the driver filled his trousers when that happened!

I belive thier were trials done with a large air bag on either side to float them accross rivers.

It was not adopted, probably because there was limited control pulling it accross rivers by ropes!

Mike.

I drove great distances on German roads and never suffered wind-up or excessive wear, including Moenchengladbach to Paderborn and numerous long moves on exercises. On Ex Summer Sales (an annual Command Post Exercise - CPX - involving all the control elements of 1 (Br) Corps) we would drive quite a way east from Paderborn and overall it was more usual to drive the Ferrets onto exercise than to load them onto trains. I only clearly remember us loading Ferrets onto trains to go to Hohne Ranges.

Apart from 1981 and the summer of 1976 I was always close to at least one Ferret in the troop (Squadron HQ, otherwise four Ferrets in a sabre troop in Cyprus and four in Command Troop) between 1976 and 1982.

I only saw one set of tyres changed, on 01EC28 in UNFICYP.

Basically what I am saying is that despite the permanent four-wheel drive, there is only a theoretical risk of transmission wind and the wear on your tyres will be negligible on a single long run. Certainly Ferret was never intended to disconnect the drive to any axle and I strongly urge you not to.

Basically what I am saying is that despite the permanent four-wheel drive, there is only a theoretical risk of transmission wind and the wear on your tyres will be negligible on a single long run.

After you have been driving on a metalled road, just jack up one wheel and watch it kick as the weight comes off it. That is "wind up". I used to do a lot of hub repairs to in-service Ferrets ( and Saracens, Stalwarts, Fox, etc) and there is no doubt they did suffer. There was a very regular check on Ferret planet carriers as they had a tendency to loosen off ( due to wind up without a shadow of a doubt) and could end up with the six bolts and six dowels shearing, allowing the wheel bearing to come loose. Checks for slackness had to be done by REME every 500 miles, it was that serious a problem.

No theory, wind-up is fact. And as for hitting the wheels on the dirt or gravel roadside occasionally, that would only relieve wind-up between nearside front and rear, unless you could get all four wheels of the hard stuff.

And as for hitting the wheels on the dirt or gravel roadside occasionally, that would only relieve wind-up between nearside front and rear, unless you could get all four wheels of the hard stuff.

I always 'accidentally' hit islands and central reservations (when safe to do so) to releive offside wind up, if bouncing the nearside does not fix it. Works on everything wheeled I have but to be fair, I dont do more than about 40 miles at one go, always with some off road (both sides!) at least every 10 miles or so if I can. Have not broken anything yet in about 18 years!

Hello John,

I think the general difference between being in private ownership and in service, is that you have to repair it and pay for it, if it breaks, so will treat the vehicle with a little bit more respect and care. :-)

Thanks everyone, read all the posts and learned a great deal. Several different viewpoints , but all valid.

I have found the answer to the fuel consumption problem - I have calculated that because of the savings on zero tax and zero mot test fees and low insurance add up to about £350 (compared to a family saloon) . If a family saloon does 38 MPG and the ferret will do 9mpg on a run , its costing me an extra 29 mpg to drive in the ferret....... (now stay with me ,,,,)

The £350 saving will provide about 70 Gallons of petrol, which at 9 MPG will give me 630 miles, so in theory I can do at least 500 miles in the ferret for similar cost to using a family saloon. If you add in the lack of depreceation, that that Ferret shouldn't suffer then it gets better.

Looking at it that way has cheered me up and I will leave the 4WD as God intended , plus the above logic will keep the doubters happy (or at least confuse them long enough for me to roar off to the nearest esso station):cool2:

Thanks all.