Cornbeef

Willyslancs

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are worse things to eat, but not many, like the sort of things celebrities eat in the jungle..

going by this reply it can't be all that nice as the stuff I've seen them eat in the jungle would be absolutely disgusting , but then if you were stuck in the jungle we'd have half an idea what you might have to eat to survive :)

This topic seems to be causing quite a stir , may I ask if the product in these tins is nice ?

also are'nt the sardine tins simalar

Taste: Well, I guess it's down to each individual as to 'Does' it taste nice'?

I personally like Corned beef.

I am still inclined to belive a square(ish) tin is safer than a round one for stabillity in Transport. (It will not roll around as much if broken loose from a packing case! :-D

Mike.

Taste: Well, I guess it's down to each individual as to 'Does' it taste nice'?

I personally like Corned beef.

:-D

Mike.

so do I, either with sliced hard boiled egg (or pickled) and lashings of Tomato Sauce!!!!

Mark :cool:

PS, is this the time to do a "Favourite Sandwich" thread? :cool2:

http://17thdivision.tripod.com/rationsoftheageofempire/id15.html

During WW1 French soldiers were supplied tinned meat in both tapered rectangular cans and parallel sided oblong/rectangular cans. Since meat was supplied in parallel sided oblong cans it is clear the intent was to provide rectangular cross section meat, and the shape of these can had absolutely nothing to do with "sliding the meat out of a mould"

Edited by antarmike

During WW1 French soldiers were supplied tinned meat in both tapered rectangular cans and parallel sided oblong/rectangular cans. Since meat was supplied in parallel sided oblong cans it is clear the intent was to provide rectangular cross section meat, and the shape of these can had absolutely nothing to do with "sliding the meat out of a mould"

The rectangular cross section of meat could not have been to fit a slice of bread, as we all know, that French bread comes in sticks :-D

Fray Bentos, is actually the name of the port from which the stuff was originally shipped. SPAM I belive is from SPiced hAM. I am also reliably informed that the ingredients have to be kept in a locked room as the are classed as dangerous! :shake: (Never eaten it since) There do seem to be pull up corned beef cans apperaing. The Health and Saftey police probably. The can you are most likley to cut yourself on is a corned beef can. (Ever go round the supermarket as a kid, taking the keys off corned beef cans)

I was under the impression SPAM = Specially Prepared American Meat. As it was supplied as a supplement during WWII.

Edited by Bazz
spelling