Cornbeef

Willyslancs

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fray Bentos, is actually the name of the port from which the stuff was originally shipped. SPAM I belive is from SPiced hAM. I am also reliably informed that the ingredients have to be kept in a locked room as the are classed as dangerous! :shake: (Never eaten it since) There do seem to be pull up corned beef cans apperaing. The Health and Saftey police probably. The can you are most likley to cut yourself on is a corned beef can. (Ever go round the supermarket as a kid, taking the keys off corned beef cans)

Edited by Tony B

lots of red wine !, was,nt there somthing about ww1 roads being made of bully beef cans?

Still a very common find on the Great War battlefeilds. There was also, excuse spelling, Machanocie, a tinned mutton vegtable stew and corned mutton. The big tins a square.

So the contents will slide out in one piece, (most molds are tapered in this way) the key allows the can to be opened without leaving an edge which would stop this happening

Also, they will stack better (One up one way, one up the opposite) in a crate / box thus making it more stable. (Aircraft/Trucks Etc).

The key is there just as an extra to muck squaddies about!!! (Just joking!) :-D

I would imagine the key is a primary source for opening tins if you dont have a clasp knife Etc?

We used to call it Corned Dog in the Mob!

Mike. :coffee:

lots of red wine !, was,nt there somthing about ww1 roads being made of bully beef cans?

I read in an old book about the Shell company, that there was a road in France in WW1 that was called the 'Shell Road' as it was made of Shell Petrol cans. Anyone know where it was?

What I know......... and trying to recollect from years past

is that it tastes awful. We used to call it luncheon meat type E

I fail to have fond memories of it. Funny in a lot of the US islander states like Hawaii and Guam you can order it in restaurants as a specialty dish :confused:

We had :

- cheese in a can (good to explode when bored :-D)

- bacon and eggs in a can

- butter scotch

- bung cake (fruit cake in a tin - well in 10 man kits)

- wooden blocks (oops I mean survival biscuits)

And talking HSE and rip tops. We used to cook our tinned munga by putting two dents in the can and then chucking it in the fire. When a dent popped out, its cooked (pressure cooker).

When we got rip top cans = a couple of grunts burnt by exploding cans (lids coming off) and cuts from eating of said lid.

that reminds me I have a tin of spotted dick...... must go put some dents in it

Also, they will stack better (One up one way, one up the opposite) in a crate / box thus making it more stable. (Aircraft/Trucks Etc).

The key is there just as an extra to muck squaddies about!!! (Just joking!) :-D

I would imagine the key is a primary source for opening tins if you dont have a clasp knife Etc?

We used to call it Corned Dog in the Mob!

Mike. :coffee:

Since the can was designed and pattented in 1875, I don't think it had anything to do with how they could be stacked in Aircraft somehow!

If the shape had to do with stacking and crating up all cans would be square. Any canned product should be in recatangular tins accoprding to this logic, but this isn't the case.

NO it has to do with the shape of a sandwich....and making the beef fit the bread!

Edited by antarmike

Survival biscuits, or British Army Biscuits brown. 1) Place two (2) in sock Army, Green. 2) Sneack on furry friend, or enemy if preferd. 3) Beat said object to death. 4) Cook and eat.

Cheese Processed (or pocessed, the spawn of the devil) Now banned as cruel and unusual punishment, under NO circumstances feed to prisoners. Babys head's, individual Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie. To expensive!! Don't care if it the best bit of kit in the ration box, you CAN'T have it!

Since the can was designed and pattented in 1875, I don't think it had anything to do with how they could be stacked in Aircraft somehow!

If the shape had to do with stacking and crating up all cans would be square. Any canned product should be in recatangular tins accoprding to this logic, but this isn't the case.

NO it has to do with the shape of a sandwich....and making the beef fit the bread!

I did say ALSO in my post, as an EXTRA benifit as to the cans being of a square form with a tapered set of sides. . And also, POSSIBLY as a personal observation.

The definitive answer is on the link from the site posted earlier.

'it is tapered, to allow the contents to easily come out one end'. if you punch a small hole in the opposite end. it DEFINATELY exits the can a LOT easier! :coffee:

Yes but it would be perfectly possible to make a tapered cylindrical can, that achieved the aim of sliding out the beef. To make a tapered cylindrical can would be easier than making a tapered oblong can, but they chose to make it onlong anyway.

They would only be making a difficult can shape, when they could make an easy one for a reason...

To my mind they want oblong meat......to fit a sandwich.