Feeling a little short changed with this months CMV

Lord Burley

Well instead of buying the 'Classic Comic' invest in a complete box set of wheels & tracks and problem solved. Seen a few and bought a set recently on epay 1-75 issues as new in bound collectors edition for £30.

In my opinion nobody has come close to the perfectionism and dedication that Bart put into the ORIGINAL military vehicle magazine. You'll never look back and never bother looking on the magazine racks again!

I used to buy CMV when it came out initially. The quality of the content varied too much for my liking to take out a subscription. The cost on the newsstand here in Holland was quite high too. CMV and the other magazine have now vanished from the shops here. I last picked up the september 2009 issue when I was in the UK and I must say it was quite entertaining. The best thing to see was that David Fletcher is still publishing articles in CMV. David was the only(!) regular contributor to Wheels & Tracks, and the most deserved winner of the Bart Vanderveen Award.

Granted, if you are fairly new to the hobby, the current mags can be educational and entertaining.

But I agree, buy as many as back issues of W&T as you can find (some years back they went for GBP 1 each at Beltring), they will last you for decades of education.

Hanno

I hold a subscription to CMV but agree that the standard of content seems to vary widely, although I lean towards wartime equipment I appreciate the mix they have but feel that some copies are way off, this months being a prime example. I also never understand why a three page spread of a newly restored vehicle never has "before or as found" pictures included. The Before and After of W&T's was my quartely favourite!

I quite liked the Gaz article:-D

I'm apperently too ugly for publication but at least my daughter was happy she made it into the magazine. Haven't had a chance to read the rest but this is only the third issue I have read so I don't know what the standard is. I'm quite happy to read about non-WW2 vehicles.

In my opinion nobody has come close to the perfectionism and dedication that Bart put into the ORIGINAL military vehicle magazine. You'll never look back and never bother looking on the magazine racks again!

Totally agree, Ben. I have recently being going back though them and they still make good reading. You also know that the facts are correct. W&T..never been bettered.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same??. The content seems to have decreased along with the quality of the paper used,and the price has increased now to £4

I could agree with that, but whats the current alternative?

I could agree with that, but whats the current alternative?

Join the MVT, their club magazine, Windscreen is excellent. When I started in this hobby that is all there was and any buying and selling was in "Ex-military vehicle" section of Exchange & Mart, also had small ads for shows in there.

:coffee:

Well instead of buying the 'Classic Comic' invest in a complete box set of wheels & tracks and problem solved. Seen a few and bought a set recently on epay 1-75 issues as new in bound collectors edition for £30.

I wish I could find a boxed set of same as everytime I look at epay there is never anything like it

Gary

I have to agree about cmv ,I have bought every copy of it and mmi since they started but think this situation could be coming to an end,particularly when you add up how much has been spent over the years,I could of bought another bike with the money

Nigel

Not the best issue of CMV i agree, but i will still get it. No one has mentioned MMI here, which i must admit i enjoy very much (especially their articles on WW1 trucks - of course).

I think that we have discussed this before, but W&T had many natural advantages over the magazines today. I love W&T and go through them quite regularly, but that wont help me with recent news, new restorations and finds on which i rely on CMV and MMI.

Tim

At least you have the current issue of CMV. I've looked all over and can't find it.

They stopped selling it in newsagents a while back & was only available over the counter in Smiths... popped into my newsagents the other day & they are selling it again :confused:

They stopped selling it in newsagents a while back & was only available over the counter in Smiths... popped into my newsagents the other day & they are selling it again :confused:

I've not had any trouble up to now buying it from Smiths, but for some reason this month I've been unable to get it. Anything interesting in it, like present day kit for Afghanistan, or a four page write up on the Bedford MJ??? Nope, I didn't think so...

I have to say I'm quite happy with the CMV, although I'm still a bit "green on the scene", so most things are new to me, never did see W&T.

I'm glad they have started showing photos of the insides of vehicles now too, just as interesting as the exterior I always think. Always been a big fan of GAZ 69's too.

Paul

No - couldn't afford to buy the Jeep then - not much change there thinking about it - but I do remember the adverts :-D

never mind the jeeps ,what about all the grizlys that came in at £10.000 each,now that would have been better than cash in the bank

i agree ford 369 , we were offered way back then a sherman with flame thrower attached . that was £10,000 too . (was somewhere in Florida, a pic of it somewhere , must look for it)...... Got cmv yesterday , i felt it was not a copy i could pick up again and again.....