Fox Armoured Car, was really a disaster?

Guest Yin717

As I served on Fox both as a Reg and TA, I found that even if looked after, and serviced they still had a lot of probs, they had a habit of fluid flywheel seals collapsing and subsequent loss of fluid and thence no drive. I remember this happening on an annual camp in Scotland. The Veh was recovered and repaired by the REME FRT. On picking up the Fox I noticed that it was dripping oil out of the engine copartment belly plate. This was initially put down to overspill and assumed tht it would eventually stop, it didn't. The engine oil was cvonstantly low after topping up, this was eventually investigated and the problem was that the engine oil pipes connected to the heat exchanger had been connected but not fully tightened. so the moral is always ensure all piping is fully connected and tighted up.:nono:

Barry.

:argh:

I allowed a Ferret owner take mine round the Beltring arena. Coming back through the crowds afterwards the smell was awful and had a good few people asking what was wrong.

Didn't you notice the smoke, I driven off a few times with the hand brake on & you soon notice if it been left of within a few yards as you have trouble seeing where you're going. If it was just a smell & NO smoke I would suggest it was something other than the handbrake that you could smell...

If it was just a smell & NO smoke I would suggest it was something other than the handbrake that you could smell...

There was some emission out the back :sweat:but not huge amounts and, given the weather, not especially visible. However, there is no question about what was wrong - the brake bands and all the tinwork covering them were burningly hot to the touch so it was quite obviously that.

Also confirmed by John Dews who smelled it himself as we drove past him, he decided it was a non mineral smell, (ie not oil), came over to have a look and asked if a brake was binding as it smelled like that to him

The 4 calipers were obviously cold but the handbrake was not - the smell and heat was rather obviously inside the vehicle. Diagnosis confirmed :-D

Ah the Fox handbrake. Changing the bands is good fun, and involves removing the drive flange from the bevel box. We had to make a tool to do this. I still have a stock of spare brake bands, but I think they are all the same side.

Fox_Handbrake_Remove_%286%29.JPG

Fox_Handbrake_Remove_%285%29.JPG

Frankly in my humble opinion the Fox is a race horse designed by a committee that ended up as a Camel in comparison to the Ferret.

Any Fox owners / user have issues with the fan bevel box leaking oil when hot? We have had this issue.

My planned mod is as follows, we will modify a fill plug and a drain plug with internal threads and drill the centre out. Then fit a series of hard / soft lines to a remote mounted in line gas / petrol filter and use that as a vent to allow over pressure to escape but trap oil. Mounted in parralel will be a tube with a cap and a dip stick to easily check the level.

No new holes will be drilled and nothing will be welded on and all of this will be reversible in required.

Can anyone see any flaws in my plan?

Robin

First post, bear with me! T.A. for 12 years, Saladin, then Fox, until I left in 1987. Never rolled one in our Squadron all the time I was 'in'! Engines ran too hot, but never knew of a failure. Gearboxes couldn't handle the torque, being basically a Ferret 'box. I was told that a lot of the gearbox problems were due to being 'twisted' whan fitted _ should have been shimmed to 'true' them to the engine. Hulls 'twisted' when welded up?

I had a 'good un', new to us, V low miles, 08 FD 97. It could stay at speedo needle between the M and the P, until it ran out of road - 80ish ?:)

...just how fast did you get up to at Brands Hatch? just to be on the inquisitive side.......:cool2:

Clocked at 65mph down the pit straight, had it waaaay faster than that though:-D Think Richard Farrant holds the record though:sweat:

Think Richard Farrant holds the record though:sweat:

Not driving, I was in the turret, on road test back in the 70's, thought it was going well, .....90 mph. Passed everything on the road, got to roundabout and returned, meeting all those we passed, the look on their faces :-D. Later heard some TA guys who brought some in, saying they had topped a ton on the motorway. No wonder the engines were always disintegrating !

Not driving, I was in the turret, on road test back in the 70's, thought it was going well, .....90 mph. Passed everything on the road, got to roundabout and returned, meeting all those we passed, the look on their faces :-D. Later heard some TA guys who brought some in, saying they had topped a ton on the motorway. No wonder the engines were always disintegrating !

Yea i heard about the fox doing 100mph but thought it was done with the turret off.

And can say as well the look on car drivers faces when we used to pass them on the chester ring road was great

You must have had to stand on the brakes before Paddock Hill bend at that speed in the fox

aghast.gif

Brakes on the Fox are great, I replaced the whole lot when I bought it but the gearbox did a lot of the braking, did go a bit slower on the other aps though:sweat:

The thought of a siezing tracta joint at speed sends shivers down my back......and it was a not to uncommon occurence either. :shake:

One of the Foxes JP bought had a rear propshaft let go (In Service Faliure). It took out the commanders seat, some of the internal tinwork & turret basket & I think some gearbox damage, a right mess. I did have a photo but have trouble finding it..

Don't think anyone could of been standing on the seat at the time as no sign of blood:sweat:

Was that a brown trouser moment???.

Only when I caught up with 3 Austin 7's & came close to taking them out, they were all over the place & not using their mirrors, they weren't impressed at being lapped & complained that I shouldn't be allowed on the track:confused:

My Ferret was on the track at the same time, could keep up with the Fox... had a nice little spot next to the grandstand... could of done this every year but advertised it but no interest... the event was "King of Brands"

BrandsHatch2.jpg