Passport question...

Jack

Very often these days they do not check on the way out if they see the front of it is a UK one. If you were a Johnny Foreigner you may find it was given a closer inspection. Coming back of course it is given the big once over whilst you are in the port. As mine was on my return back from Normandy. 'Is this your passport?' - er yes, upon which he turns it to me to show a nice smiling face of my missus. i'd only picked the wrong one up and never looked at it myself at all! He was full of mirth and very good about it. Could have been a bit dodgy if I'd come unstuck in some way whilst in foreign parts though. :sweat::-D Thank God some civil servants have a sense of humour.

When Jim and I were on our way to Mons a couple of weeks ago and we got to Dover customs. They didn't even ask to see our passports...:???:???

What is that all about and has the law changed?

Didn't you have to show it to get out of Dorset? :-D

When Jim and I were on our way to Mons a couple of weeks ago and we got to Dover customs. They didn't even ask to see our passports...:???:???

What is that all about and has the law changed?

a) There is no embarkation controls when you leave the UK - it was stopped several years ago (cost-cutting).

b) Most of mainland Europe are signatories to the 'Schengen Agreement', in which they agreed that there would be no border controls within Europe. You can drive from Calais to Italy without showing your passpart. Britain, however, did NOT sign the agreement and therefore EVERYONE has to show a passport (or something else that establishes their Nationality and Identity) to enter the country.

c) Most of the UK Primary Arrival Controls in SE England are now in France - Calais, Boulogne, Dunkerque, Coquelles. That way, you have to establish your right to enter the UK before you ever actually touch English soil.

d) Customs are only interested in your passport as a means of establishing your identity, they deal in goods - the artist formerly known as HM Immigration Service (then the UK Immigration Service, then the UK Border and Immigration Agency, now the UK Border Agency) deal with people. Parts of Customs have now been enrolled into the UKBA but even so, they are based in the UK and deal in excise goods.

In summary, no need to show your passport when leaving the UK via a SE port and on your return, you will have to show it before you get on a boat on the way back - and don't call Immigration Officers, Customs Officers (or vice versa), they get snippy about it:n00b:

Helped?

Great work Martin, many thanks for that and that was exactly what happened on the way back.

Next question - what is on that micro chip in my passport and why aren't I allowed to see what comes up on the screen when they scan it:???:confused:

All that's on the chip is a copy of your photo, so they can compare your handsome mug to the passport photo and then to the 'chip' photo.

That way, if you have managed to substitute a passport photo in someone elses passport with one of yourself, the chip photo will still be wrong - does that make sense?

it's just one more thing for the forger to contend with.

When we went to Schichpol last year no one really bothered whith our passports. Those with a heavy sun tan got the full third degree. Mind you some of the customs , emmigration officials at Schipol. :shocked: Cor,

as Tony said no one was bothered about passports this side but it took bloody ages to take off and relace my paraboots ,still at least I had no holes in that pair of socks

Nigel

Do they still have a border post going into England ?

Anyway drove from home to Wroclaw (Poland ) and Showed my passport once ,on re-entry into Hull .

They were on a major search for something as everyone was being made to open boots ,caravans, bus holds etc

Pretty scary that you can cross most of Europe and not get checked once not even in hotels did they want to see passports just you visa card

Jamie

Jamie

When we left Portsmouth for Normandy, our passports were all checked by ticket office.

That's not a check to establish your legal right to entry to another country, that's for the passenger manifest (a requirement under maritime law I believe - not my area of expertise) and also because companies that carry people over international boundaries can be prosecuted for bringing in undocumented persons.

That's not a check to establish your legal right to entry to another country, that's for the passenger manifest (a requirement under maritime law I believe - not my area of expertise) and also because companies that carry people over international boundaries can be prosecuted for bringing in undocumented persons.

Thanks Martin, that explains it.