New Member from San Diego CAm USA

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt Carroll and I live in San Diego California. I just purchased a Ferret and am trying to learn as much as I can about it. I have always wanted a Ferret and am excited as it will be delivered in the next few weeks. Not sure what the insignia is on the front of the turret but the Tank Museum said it was part of the Queens Yeomanry. I figured with this site full of people from the UK it would be a good source of information.

Let me know what you think?

Matt

P7130200.jpg

P7130197.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. I received some information about the Ferret from the Tank Museum but wanted a "translation" from anyone from the UK as I am unfamiliar with some of the groups the vehicle served with.

Here is a quote from Stuart from the tank museum.

Any help would be appreciated.

"What I can tell you is that it served with the Royal Horse Guards (now

Blues and Royals) and the Life Guards which perform key ceremonial

duties such as Trooping the Colour. Your Ferret then when on to serve

with the Queens Own Yeomanry which was a Royal Armoured Corps Volunteer

regiment."

[/i][/i]

I read the web page on the Blues and Royals and it looks as if they were an honor guard for the Queen if I am reading it correctly but it also said they fought in Kosovo, Bosnia, The Gulf and the Falklands.

I am confused if they are an honor guard why they are in hostile areas. Maybe I am confused as to their role.

Also, is there any way to tell if the vehicle actually went to any of these areas or is that impossible? I would like to find out as much about this Ferret as possible.

I have another document from the Tank Museum I am trying to download that shows some sort of service history but I am having issues with my scanner.

Thanks for any help..

Yes, they are based in London and are there to guard the queen, but they are also deployed on operations. Your Ferret would not have been to Kosovo or Bosnia, it may have been to the Gulf. When you can scan the document the Tank Museum sent you, we may be able to give more info. Sometimes if a vehicle is deployed on an operation it will be on the history card, e.g. the Gulf war was Op Granby.

Hi Matt

Welcome to the Bunfight.

Looks like there was a previous page to your service record if I am not mistaken (probably am) because this shows from when the Ferret passed into storage before being assigned to the Yeomanry. So you will not see any reference to the Blues and Royals on this page. It appears to have passed from the Yeomanry to a life of modification and repair before transfer to 11 Field Squadron which some greater brain will confirm is either signals, engineers or something similar. After that it looks like it became a display vehicle before disposal. This is me pretending to know what I am talking about. Fortunately there are people with brains on this forum to correct my mistakes.

MB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt.

I was a member of the Queens Own Yeomanry for 7 years. I might even have drove (badly) your Ferret.It was/is an armoured recce regiment.

Your Ferret could have served with either HQ squadron Newcastle Upon Tyne, or

"D" squadron, Cramlington, Tyne and Wear, or "Y" squadron York, or "?" squadron Chester or even the Ayrshire squadron based in Scotland. Check you maps.

Sorry cannot remember all the squadron prefixs.

My squadron, either HQ or D squadron, always put maintenance first.

Check out the Queens Own Yeomanry/Northumberland Hussars on the net.

George

P.S. Just seen the vehicle data card, it was passed around the QOY squadrons and lastly NH squadron. It was green when we last had it. Lugershall is Germany

Edited by Skint George