Holier than thou!

Great War truck

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can cope with most comments & questions of their various kinds from various levels of people, but the thing that really gets up my nose is the incessant flow of people who feel they have to tap the side of your vehicle :argh::argh::argh:

Why the hell do they have to do it? It just goes on & on throughout the day. Is it only if you are in something armoured or does everybody get this stupidity?

Whether you are making a cup of tea, on the bog, reading a book or just having a nap, there it is tap tap tap. If I am really wound up I lie in wait for the next tapper & then bang back on the inside with a riot truncheon & that can make quite a noise. :evil:

I totally agree mate ! Thats the alarm clock in my Pig if I've slept in after a late night "discussing historic military vehicles" :-D

I totally agree mate ! Thats the alarm clock in my Pig if I've slept in after a late night "discussing historic military vehicles" :-D

One show last year it was only 0800 & I was on the portaloo. Then I heard the tappers were at it on the roof & bonnet, then they started peering in through the front visors. In a loud & jocular (not) manner I suggested if they were that keen to know what its like inside they could in & assist me in completing the procedures that were under way. Is nowhere private?

Some do it as a conversation starter so you can't be too hard on them. When people do it in a lessons learned from when they did it kind of away, again you have more time for that. When it's some wonk who has done nowt but read books about the subject then I am less inclinded to have a chat. It isn't just MVs. Name any aspect of preservation and you'll find people who disagree strongly. Those who read anything of the renovation works at Stirling Castle will be aware of that.

People have a very flexible attitude towards originality and authenticity. Paint the wrong Mr Therm on your vehicle and I start looking down my nose and huffing something about it taking just as long to get it right as it is to get it wrong yet I would cheerfully see all Sentinels on their original solid tyres cut up and pushed into a quarry.

I take a very hard nosed attitude towards these things. If someone wants to turn their roller into a showmans engine then be my guest. Anyone who doesn't like it could always buy it and keep in original.

Still doesn't stop me tutting about Mr Therm having the wrong number of flames coming out of his head.

• 3 years later...

Why not just tell them it's in the authentic condition for a vehicle from the Seventh Battle of Upper Cwmtwrch - which never happened in this version of history - and that you have to bring it here to run since internal combustion vehicles are banned by the High Council of Gallifrey? Pleading insanity big time!

One thing I have noticed with CVRT's (and this really is bizarre) is that people seem to feel the need to lift the mudflaps!!! I really dont know why and its a hard thing to object to, but what on earth do they expect to find under there....its a mudflap fer crying out loud!!!

This sort of thing used to drive me potty with my haflinger it was as released and had the 45 comando markings on the front (never touched) people would come up to me and say that the dagger was upside down or 45 never had haflingers and that my very very rare helicopter towbar that came with it was not original tyre kickers do my nut in:mad: shes now put away for nobody to see and just for my own pleasure in the summer months I used to get the same with my 11 cab fat and my mk2b hippo I do not know if its jealousy or just that most people do not know???????

You think you have it bad, I am in the model railway industry , now there's where you find professional rivit counters , colour experts , and all sorts, from the down right rude to people to the biggest know alls of all time. It seems also that everyone's dad used to Drive the flying Scotsman too.

on the other side of the coin there's a lot of very knowledgable people out the standing quietly in the background

That's a difficult one, who can tell? I recently was reading a 1908 training manual, it had hardly been read before. But I found a bogey stuck on one of the pages, now was this a 101-year old bogey or did it come from the nostrils of the bookseller?

I cannot imagine how I came to be reminded of this:

Considered highly offensive by many at the time, the sketches primarily took the form of bizarre, sometime drunken streams of consciousness led by Cook, with interjections from Moore. Memorable moments from the records include Clive claiming that the worst job he ever had was (redacted for the sensitivity of readers), Derek claiming his worst job was cleaning up Winston Churchill's bogeys (leading the pair to conclude that theTitanic was one such bogey)

from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_and_Clive

WARNING: the wikipedia entry is as close to the bone as were "Derek and Clive" themselves, and likely to offend.

My personal favourite,

- Oh i thought it was American? - Thats odd......it has the American star on it......even though it clearly says Bedford/Humber /Morris ect.....and then they have to wrap their knuckles on the front wing to hear the metalic "knock" a couple of times ....why....who knows ?!?!?!

I love what i call the "armchair experts" - those who read one book and then know all there is to know about that paticular vehicle....we will never get rid of them - and for every "anorak" there are some great recolections of time in service driving one of those or similar stories....some really useful tips and amazing stories that i will always treasure....

My answer - an information board set out for people to read.....then whilst sitting comfortably at the rear of the vehicle i laugh as they then inform their "audience" of the inner-workings and ins and outs of my vehicle - usually completly wrong - but when im sitting comfortably,sunning myself and cradling a beer or two - there are more important things in life to get me worked up over.....

.My argument to all the anoraks who claim wrong engine/marking/nut/bolt or rivet.....Surely its better that its here in whatever form,preserving history and giving pleasure to others .....surely better than the alternative----rusting away somewhere or being used for re-cycled baked bean cans !

Edited by JEMIMA

You think you have it bad, I am in the model railway industry , now there's where you find professional rivit counters , colour experts , and all sorts, from the down right rude to people to the biggest know alls of all time. It seems also that everyone's dad used to Drive the flying Scotsman too.

on the other side of the coin there's a lot of very knowledgable people out the standing quietly in the background

I have a ruston hornsby locomotive that was used in the construction of the cads at corsham and i have taken it to a few shows with a information board on the front and the amount of people that say it was not used or couldnt have been used underground is astonishing. I also have an orenstein and koppell kidget and so many people say did you weld that together or is it a toy makes me real mad so I do not show any of my toys now they just sit in their shed and get played with when i want.

I am reminded of the AFV Society's camouflaged lawnmower, parked up in a row of vehicles. 'It was used by the SAS to mow the long grass ahead of snipers'. And yes some people did believe it!!!

Well as we are on the subject I remember when first attending steam rallys with my pride and joy that I had just spent a year or so restoring and I well remember being very protective over it.

Now 20 odd years on I've chilled out a bit but the one thing that does annoy slightly well more than slightly is little johnny etc clambering in the jeep and yanking on the steering wheel , pulling / pushing knobs etc etc while dozy parents look on not caring, don't get me wrong it only happens occasionally most people ask first for photo opportunities with the kids but grrrrrrr, as for rivet counters I treat them with the contempt they deserve :yawn:, though I do enjoy listening to people who used these vehicles in anger, I have noticed that very few WWII vets are around to share the jeep with now but having the champ at the shows invites interest and you learn something new all the time, just remembered some one once commented that I had the wrong bonnet numbers stencilled on the jeep until I pointed out that it was used by the British army not US !!!!!!, how I laughed at their embarassment :D:D:D

RR.

So, I have all this to look forward to, being on my first MV and only having taken her to one show so far!

Jimmy

its the wrong colour green!

the canvas is missing!

wheres the machine gun?

didnt it used to be a V8?

was it in the War?

I used to have a Moris Minor, me an Dolly went on our honeymoon in to 'Skegy' in 53...etc .....yawn....

youl get used to it. :)

My personal favourite,

- Oh i thought it was American? - Thats odd......it has the American star on it......even though it clearly says Bedford

Andy,

That reminded me of going to a local 40's event about 15 years ago with my QL. I had barely driven on to the site when a bloke came up to the cab and said that the Americans did not have Bedford QL's, so I asked him "Why do you say that?", his reply, "the American star on the side". I then had to explain that all Allied vehicles that landed in Normandy carried the star, he went off in disbelief, later I had another one say the same. The last time I painted it, the stars were not put back on!:)

Another one ........ not the QL or stars ............. about 18 years ago, at Beltring we were sitting back behind our vehicles watching Joe Public going by and a friend had his Halftrack on display. We watched as a young guy walked all around it and took lots of photos, then he turned around and saw us, siddled up and asked who owned the Halftrack. Once he established the owner, he then proceeded to tell him what was not right and what should be where. The owner by now getting fed up with this, asked "Where is your Halftrack then?" ............... his reply "At home in the cabinet" ............ I cannot say the words the owner used :D