Holier than thou!

Great War truck

Be intresting to see what comments I get about stars then. As I've not got any on Katy! :D The other joy is when after hours of preperation and care some total pillock walks up to your Land Rover and says 'Nice Jeep!'. (Shouldn't be allowed to breed!)>:(

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha - reminds me of a few years back......you own a jeep and everyone refers to it as a "landrover thingy"........you then years later purchase a landrover.......yep - you guessed it....."nice jeep thingy !"

I tend towards Fetes and local shows. Not only do the kids love it - either the Ferret or the Saracen - but can actually touch and if they are parked on grass, can sit on the sides (they bounce if they fall off onto grass). The only rule i have is that parents MUST stand with kids at all times. I learnt early that it is all too easy to be taken advantage of. I actually had a Head Teacher come up and ask if I could display the Saracen at his school fete, he used the word portable climbing frame! No!

What is best is the real veterans who come up and recount tales of driving or being ferried around in Ferrets and Saracens in variously Cyprus, Germany, the UK, NI. Being blown up in them, loving them and hating them.

They are both still in need of more sanding, priming and painting but the overwhelming feeling from those who comment is that we (all of us who maintain and run and show our MVs) are doing a great job maintaining a bit of Britain's history and good luck. For me what is worst is when nobody comes up for a chat and to comment.

Edited by simonm
typo

After working for a few years at the War and Peace show with a trader that supply to many re-enactors. We have had to put up with people asking for advice (what accessories they need for this weapon or that gun) only to be told that we are ”wrong and that would never be issued” ……then why ask!!!!Once we were asked to “equip” an “armourer” that was re enacting the cold war (L1A1 and SA80…) only to be told that we did not know what we were talking about and he then went on to educate us….about what armourers did in BAOR…Both myself and the stall holder served in BAOR as ARMOURERS just before the wall came down. Just keep smiling and take the money!!!!!I tried to use this "criticism" when researching how the Para’s fitted the recoilless rifle to the back of the champ. There was no information anywhere.So I built it and took it to the shows, waiting for the “they didn’t do it like that…” but to date nobody has been able to put me right…..

After working for a few years at the War and Peace show with a trader that supply to many re-enactors. We have had to put up with people asking for advice (what accessories they need for this weapon or that gun) only to be told that we are ”wrong and that would never be issued” ……then why ask!!!!..

Askhole.jpg